What to do about this crud on hydraulic hoses?

/ What to do about this crud on hydraulic hoses? #11  
Wet & Forget
We used this for cleaning the green stuff growing on our roofs and siding, lichens moss and algae. Used to be a recurring annual project. Once and done after using this - that was 4yrs ago, still clean, no sign of anything coming back since.

Last edited:
   / What to do about this crud on hydraulic hoses? #12  
Typicaly all that outdoor cleaner stuff is just a strong bleach. You can also find it in the pool section called "chlorinating liquid"..for about 1/4 the cost.
It's this stuff...

Benzalkonium chloride (BZK, BKC, BAK, BAC), also known as alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chloride (ADBAC) and by the trade name Zephiran,[1] is a type of cationic surfactant. It is an organic salt classified as a quaternary ammonium compound. ADBACs have three main categories of use: as a biocide, a cationic surfactant, and a phase transfer agent.[2] ADBACs are a mixture of alkylbenzyldimethylammonium chlorides, in which the alkyl group has various even-numbered alkyl chain lengths.

/ What to do about this crud on hydraulic hoses? #13  
You have abrasion covers on the hoses, so the actual hose under the covers are likely looking just fine. As stated a bleach or ammonia solution will clean the covers and not harm the hose rubber. Hose the off with water after cleaning.

paul

/ What to do about this crud on hydraulic hoses? #14  
You could also, just leave it be... it's not hurting anything on the tractor.

Think of it as camouflage...

/ What to do about this crud on hydraulic hoses?
It's Lichen like you see growing on trees...
Given the amount of lichen growing on trees all around here, I expect you're right.

Sounds like the "Wet & Forget" cleaner mentioned by ponytug would be a good place to start. And as techman noted, the images shows the covering on the actual hoses. Image probably not good enough to make that clear.

Appreciate the input from all. I'll see what I can come up with and post back the results.

On a side note, I should have thought lichen up front as there's so much of it around on the trees here that some time ago I sent a picture to the experts at our local Extension service and they replied that the stuff on the trees was lichen. Not only not harmful, but rather evidence of good conditions.

/ What to do about this crud on hydraulic hoses? #16  
Once you get all the "gunk" removed - wipe the hoses down with a shop towel soaked in isopropyl alcohol. This will kill what wasn't removed.

/ What to do about this crud on hydraulic hoses? #17  
Lichen is a sign you have cleaner, less polluted air!

FYI Lichen tends to favour shade and moisture.

/ What to do about this crud on hydraulic hoses? #18  
Wet and forget takes awhile to work, but it does work. I have to spray the north facing side of my house every year.

/ What to do about this crud on hydraulic hoses? #19  
It will power wash easily. Just pressure wash with water.
Ditto. I pressure wash the tractor when it needs it, and will remove shrouds to get to the radiator. Caution is necessary to keep from wrecking the radiator, but hoses are not a problem.

For those problem cleanups in the shop, I suck up degreaser and spray it with hot water from a tankless water heater. That's for greasy parts in repair projects, way faster than the parts washer. The tractor doesn't leak, so I just use water on it.