What to do with a short PTO

/ What to do with a short PTO #41  
Been a lot posted on pto shafts, some needs to be taken with a large grain of salt.
Here is a starter link to learn a bit about PTO shafts;
The Different Types of PTO Shafts

A PTO shaft has to be the right series "size" to handle the HP the tractor can put out and or the torque limiting of the shaft or equipment.
The splines need to be the correct size and count. The angle the u joints are going to be run at,
are you going to need a CV joint. If to short they will come apart while being used, if to long they can break your tractors rear housing and or take out your PTO.

There is a lot of factual information out there on manufactures web sites.

/ What to do with a short PTO #42  
So, I was reading my manual this morning, just to check oil type recommended; and ran across a part about PTO shaft length; they recommend when it's at its longest edition, it should still have a min of 1/3 of the total length in the shaft

/ What to do with a short PTO #43  
Would you use a slip clutch on a belt driven 54" flail mower? I never did in the past, with a high HP tractor. I always figured the belt was free to slip, and the flail hammers could always swing up, out if the way, if I hit a stump. But, if I'm getting a new shaft, I can add one for nor much more $.
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I have a 3-belt flail and no clutch on it. It will stall a 48hp tractor when it winds up about 100' of barbed wire. Don't ask how I know. :rolleyes: I couldn't get the PTO shut off fast enough. And the belts didn't even make a squeak. I'll be getting a clutch for it after I get it dolled up and fresh lipstick. ;)

/ What to do with a short PTO #44  
You know, they say it's not about the length of the pto, but the girth.

/ What to do with a short PTO #45  
I got a 2" longer pto shaft from RK last weekend for the Ford 917L. It was still shorter then the recommended 1/3 in the tube thing, and it had the collar style instead of the push pin to lock-unlock. Pain in the but with the outer guard still on. In the past; I've always gotten annoyed by the guards and just removed them; but I didn't want to this time. Just returned the $139 shaft; and ordered an overly long Vevor from Amazon. It was out of stock on Vevor, but in-stock on Amazon, for $93. I'll have to cut it down; but easier to cut one down, then try to lengthen one. Will keep the cut offs; and maybe toy with extending my old shaft, or more likely toss then in the bone yard, for future.