What to use to lubricate 3PH ball ends?

/ What to use to lubricate 3PH ball ends? #1  

Spencer

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC33D w/R4 Tires, Rear Remote, Hydraulic Toplink, 2 Auxiliary Work Lights, 7308 Loader w/Kasco Uni-Hitch (Quick Tach)
I have never used anything to lubricate the ball ends on my 3 Point Hitch. They are starting to show some rust and I want to put some sort of lubricant on them. What do you guys use?

/ What to use to lubricate 3PH ball ends? #2  
I only used WD-40 and, yep, I know it's more of a solvent than a lubricant, but I figured I'd have less dust and dirt stick it that than I'd have with oil or grease (can't swear that I figured right /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif). And the fact of the matter is that I rarely lubricated them with anything.

/ What to use to lubricate 3PH ball ends? #3  
The way I see it, you'd be doing more harm than good. If you put oil or grease on them, they would only collect dirt and dust. If you have a rust problem do as Bird said, WD-40.

Billy

/ What to use to lubricate 3PH ball ends? #4  
Spence,
I do it the way Bird says, whenever I remember to, just squirt it with WD-40, mainly to flush out dirt and slow down rust.

/ What to use to lubricate 3PH ball ends? #5  
Spencer,

Might not be very relevant to your situation, but in some positions it is best not to lubricate. We have a Ford 550 backhoe loader at home. Father regularly greases all zerks except for the connecting pins on the front loader bucket. Runs them totally dry. I asked once why this was the case.
As a builder, loader very often is lifting and moving sand or grit. Sand gets into pins and bushes and wears them in no time. His operator had been driving these machines for 30yrs and could testify to the wear that could be caused.

Now you may never have the commercial work that these were put to, but the logic is similair.
We also had at one time an old Ford 4000 tractor. The balls would constantly fall out when no attachment on due to wear. We eventually had to weld on a shoulder to edge of the lift arms to prevent it occurring.

/ What to use to lubricate 3PH ball ends? #6  
I use White lightning for lubrication when I don't want or am worried about dirt being attracted. You can get it in bike shops etc.. Its a waxed based lubricant that does not attract dirt or dust.
You squirt it on and in a minute its dry.

/ What to use to lubricate 3PH ball ends? #7  
Spence....

As the others have said, just try WD-40. It's cheap, quick, and a very good lubricant.

....Bob

/ What to use to lubricate 3PH ball ends? #8  
I too thought that might be the best. Wax but not oil or grease.

/ What to use to lubricate 3PH ball ends? #9  
JD Manual says to use Super Lube (which JD sells for $6 - Lowes for $2) Dries fast and leaves Teflon coating. Seems not to attract dirt. Also use it on SCV linkage

/ What to use to lubricate 3PH ball ends? #10  
I use Zep Drymoly. It is a dry film lubricant. Outlasts graphite and is non greasy.
It is made by Zep manufacturing company, Atlanta Georgia. 30301
We have been using it on chains and joints in dusty areas and seems to work very well.