What TV did you watch as a kid?

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #351  
But then again, when you only have a couple of TV stations, you're at their mercy
Of course back then there only WERE a handful of tv stations, a far cry from all the cable channels and streaming services today...all of which need 24/7/365 content. 570 channels, and still nothing on. :ROFLMAO:
Even in a large city 50 years ago you had CBS, NBC, ABC and maybe a couple of UHF channels that ran old movies and syndicated shows that hardly anyone watched.

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #353  
Wild Kingdom (with Marlon Perkins)
Combat
Rin Tin Tin
Lassie
Green Hornet
Rawhide

Just to name a few.

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #354  
Of course back then there only WERE a handful of tv stations, a far cry from all the cable channels and streaming services today...all of which need 24/7/365 content. 570 channels, and still nothing on.
Even in a large city 50 years ago you had CBS, NBC, ABC and maybe a couple of UHF channels that ran old movies and syndicated shows that hardly anyone watched.
Yup, we got over 100 channels streamed through the cities app on our fire stick. Plus 300 channels through peacock app on the TV. Then Amazon and Netflix.

We watch about 4 channels off the local streaming. Haven't searched the 300 channels on peacock for over 1.5 years. Netflix is on when we have the grandkiddo over for the few shows guaranteed to settle him when putting him down for a nap. Prime video once in a great while.

Wished they would come out with a streaming service that you pay a few bucks for the few channels you actually watch

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #355  
I think that the reason original programming was so scary or serious is that we'd never seen anything like that before.

I remember riding my bike to see the original Star Wars premier in our town. It was amazing special effects. Today, it's 45 year old technology. Almost a comedy.

I'm guessing it's that way for every generation.
I recall my wife showing the kids a real "scary movie" ..... Pyscho. They rolled on the floor laughing at the shower scene we once thought was terrifying. Even we were thinking it was not scary this time. Charlie Chaplin never was funny to me when I watched old silent TV shows. Same with 3 Stooges.
Psycho.gif

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #356  
I used to love "The Wild, Wild, West" when I was a kid. Then about 20 years later I caught some reruns when I was staying in a motel room... talk about CORNY!!!
Thanks for the reminder. I know I watched that show as a kid, but I couldn't remember a single detail from a single episode. I happened to notice an upcoming episode in the TV guide, and the description said that it had Sammy Davis Jr. guest starring as a bullet-immune night rider. I decided, "I NEED to watch that!"

Sammy did a quick-draw and shot the gun right out of the bad guy's hand (because that's perfectly feasible). Then he spins his gun around by the trigger just to emphasize his excellent marksmanship, before re-holstering his revolver. Good times! :)

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #357  
Thanks for the reminder. I know I watched that show as a kid, but I couldn't remember a single detail from a single episode. I happened to notice an upcoming episode in the TV guide, and the description said that it had Sammy Davis Jr. guest starring as a bullet-immune night rider. I decided, "I NEED to watch that!"

Sammy did a quick-draw and shot the gun right out of the bad guy's hand (because that's perfectly feasible). Then he spins his gun around by the trigger just to emphasize his excellent marksmanship, before re-holstering his revolver. Good times! :)
We saw that one couple days ago. I bought the whole Wild West series. We like it ok...not fantastic but ok. Bewitched, Hillbillies, Green Acres, Hitchcock, Twilight Zone, Columbo, Night Stalker...just good relaxing entertainment. A break from news!

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #358  
I recall my wife showing the kids a real "scary movie" ..... Pyscho. They rolled on the floor laughing at the shower scene we once thought was terrifying. Even we were thinking it was not scary this time.
But look at the reference point your kids have. This is especially true with the long running crime shows on tv...Criminal Minds is one that comes to mind. The perps on some of these shows are real sickos. Sure was nothing like that when we were growing up.

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #360  
The original Little Rascals were re-runs in my era...; as were the Bowery Boys

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230228-074204.png
    Screenshot_20230228-074204.png
    983.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20230228-074443.png
    Screenshot_20230228-074443.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 31