What was the best dog you've had?

/ What was the best dog you've had? #111  
TV news just did a segment on ASPCA and how their funding is spent. I had to turn it off.
Yep. HSUSA is even worse. They take donations for animals and euthanize them so they can keep the money. If you want to donate for animal care, donate to your local animal shelter or rescue organizations. That's where the real work gets done.

/ What was the best dog you've had? #112  
Good pets come from good owners I've always believed. Ever see TV show my cat from h***? Jackson Galaxy doesn't say, but I bet one or both owners mistreat the cat...same with dogs. They want to please their owner who feeds and cares for them.
We had a nice Golden Retriever. She saved me once from a Rotweiller running to attack me by grabbing his neck tossing him in neighbor's yard.
Pets love their owners if they're treated properly.

/ What was the best dog you've had? #113  
FB_IMG_1629932266609.jpg

/ What was the best dog you've had? #115  
Another good photo of my girl with her guard dog.

FB_IMG_1642807307283.jpg

/ What was the best dog you've had? #116  
While every dog I have had something special about them, we still talk about my Golden Retriever (Gabby) while amongst family and even funnier old friends. She has been gone for (hard to believe) 16 years. My parents had a houseboat that I spent a lot of time on. She loved the water, no matter what you were doing. Going to sit in a cove and spend the day on rafts, she was in. Throw in a raft, she would jump in, climb on and hang out. She would swim to the boat and climb up the steps onto the back of the boat. Time for a jetski ride, hop on and go.

Smartest dog I have ever had and probably will have. Huge Golden fan if you can put up with the hair.
i-DFDjXKc-M.jpg

Last edited:
   / What was the best dog you've had? #117  
I went to a private kindergarten, taught buy a retired teacher who had taught two of my older siblings. Her husband who hunted birds with a Red Cocker Spaniel died over the summer. He and I adopted each other.

Mom would come pick me up, and start driving home, and the dog would chase the car until Mom felt sorry for him, and would stop and pick him up, and take him back home. After about two weeks, the teacher decided he was mine.

The family joke was that I, who am color blind, thought he was brown and named him Browny.

He was a great dog for a farm kid, who was responsible for taking car of he chickens, and gathering the eggs. He‘d get next to me and keep them from trying to peck me. When I went into the hen house to gather eggs he’d run the hens out and guard the door to keep them out while I gathered the eggs. If one of them got out of the pen, he would run it down, and bring it back. He didn’t see much difference between a chicken and a wounded pheasant.

First got him home, he chased the Tom cat. That lasted about two weeks. I was trying to train him to leave the cat alone. He saw the cat across the yard, and took off after him. The cat high tailed it for the barn, and the dog chased him in. I was running after them telling him to get back here. I got to the barn just in time to see the cat launch out of the hayloft onto his neck. Where the cat stayed for several minutes, biting his ears, and digging in his claws, as the dog kiy-eyed around the barn trying shake him off. After that I was done training him to leave cats alone. He’d stay back about ten feet and bark, and growl at them, if they crossed paths. But he no longer had any desire to catch up with one.

/ What was the best dog you've had? #118  
I’ve had 5
Sure, this is like asking what is your favorite sandwich... I'm just hoping someone can spark something in our search for a new family dog. We are more small to medium size dog folks, but that doesn't matter here. Breed if you know it. What made him or her special to you.

Sure, this is like asking what is your favorite sandwich... I'm just hoping someone can spark something in our search for a new family dog. We are more small to medium size dog folks, but that doesn't matter here. Breed if you know it. What made him or her special to you.
I’ve had 5 Australian shepherds over the past 35 years (2 at present). I’m biased because I think that on the 8th day God created AS. But seriously, these dogs are the smartest I’ve seen along with border collies. They are very easy to train and they seldom roam far from their family. They make excellent family dogs. I’ve had 4 full sized dogs and 1 miniature AS. They all have the same characteristics and personality. I’ve never seen a vicious one either, and they aren’t annoying barkers. They only bark when protecting their property from deer, coyotes or other intruders. But buy one from a reputable breeder and know that they aren’t cheap. Some poor breeders have created health problems by not using good genetic principles for breeding these dogs. The photos show my red tri-color miniature, and my blue merle puppy who will be full sized.

Attachments

• BBFBDB5A-71B7-4D99-8460-ED1F2CF142ED.jpeg
    BBFBDB5A-71B7-4D99-8460-ED1F2CF142ED.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • 9743CF73-A596-4D0A-83EF-FCCE8E5155F8.jpeg
    9743CF73-A596-4D0A-83EF-FCCE8E5155F8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
  • C08A1F48-65CF-4933-B1B3-A3B3D6D05BAE.jpeg
    C08A1F48-65CF-4933-B1B3-A3B3D6D05BAE.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 60
  • 97FEFA0D-4343-41D9-8995-EAEF141B0217.jpeg
    97FEFA0D-4343-41D9-8995-EAEF141B0217.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
   / What was the best dog you've had? #119  
My go to dog would be a boxer. We rescued our current one eleven years ago which is getting up there for the breed. Not sure how old he was when we got him. Boxers will typically win your heart then break it when they come down with cancer.

We had a French Beauceron and a Malinois who were both great rescues. The Malinois was a "washed up" drug detection dog. I think because he had his own agenda when outside but perfect otherwise. You would have to drag him up on furniture and then he would jump off asap. He loved his rope toys which would occupy him for hours. The Beauceron was at 135lbs, oversized. He would take up most of the sofa with his head on your lap and actually purr like a cat while you stroked his head.

We also currently have a 35lb mostly lab/hound mix but per her DNA report has some 15 detectable breeds overall. She actually does not shed that much and is a sweet little girl but her nose is her downfall. Heavy rain, snow, you name it and she wants to stay in our fenced in yard while we try to coax her in, lol!

Then there is Rosie. We always thought that she was min pin/rat terrier but per her DNA report she is min pin/boxer. About 15 lbs of dynamite, her tail should have been docked as it is like a whip.

One thing I learned over the years is to always give the new dog a chance to come into their own. While some may have been the best dog ever, they are gone. Even the "dumbest", most destructive, etc, etc. may have faults, they all need love!

/ What was the best dog you've had? #120  
A Jack Russel Terrier is a smaller dog that is full of energy. One will definitely keep the squirrels out of the apple trees and the rabbits out of the garden.