What were you doing when you were 11 years old?

/ What were you doing when you were 11 years old? #31  
I do remember JFK and 911; but Elvis not so much, although we did see him in concert in Norman OK in March before his death in August. I do remember the Murrah bombing; felt the blast from about 3 miles away. Our agency later moved into one of the renovated buildings next to the blast area.

/ What were you doing when you were 11 years old? #32  
I do remember JFK and 911; but Elvis not so much, although we did see him in concert in Norman OK in March before his death in August. I do remember the Murrah bombing; felt the blast from about 3 miles away. Our agency later moved into one of the renovated buildings next to the blast area.

I think Elvis is on my list because my Mom was unhappy. She cried. My Mom didn’t cry in front of the kids very much so, when she did, it was impactful.

I was in Baldwinsville NY on 911 and had to drive to STL. Never forget that day.

MoKelly

/ What were you doing when you were 11 years old? #33  
Wow! I sure wasn't on stage playing with a rock n roll band!

Eleven, man that was a long time ago. I had an easy live growing up, actually all my life, and only worked in the fields to make spending money. I bought a telescope with some of it. Oh and some jeans my parents said i had to buy. I remember them as being an ugly, to me, brown and a crazy guarantee as to wear. I'd wear the knees out, and my mom would take them back for free replacement.

/ What were you doing when you were 11 years old? #34  
I was 9.

I still remember that day and how terribly upset my Mom was after the news.

I remember where I was vividly for 3 events that I was not personally involved — JFK, Elvis death and 911.

MoKelly
I remember the JFK assassination vividly, was in JR High School and well all got called into the all purpose rome where they had a TV setup on the stage. Was out looking for a car to replace the '66 Impala SS 396 I wrecked (and almost killed myself) when Armstrong and Aldrin landed Apollo 11 on the moon. And I was setting at my desk dispatching trucks and loads and watching the Today Show when the first plane hit one of the twin towers.
Don't really remember when Elvis died, was never a fan.

/ What were you doing when you were 11 years old? #35  
I remember where I was at when JFK was assassinated. It was not in the United States.

Something else a lot of Americans do not know.

"In Vietnam in November of 1963, Ngô Đình Diệm was overthrown and killed in a coup d'état by his military, with the tacit acquiescence of the United States. A military junta headed by General Dương Văn Minh replaced Diệm. United States President John F. Kennedy was assassinated three weeks later."

/ What were you doing when you were 11 years old? #36  
At that age I was at my grandpa's helping his neighbor haying.
We'd ride the wagon to tamp the hay and later I'd be in the loft to again tamp that hay.
B4 that I'd ride on the horse drawn hay rake as he sped along gathering for loading the hay wagon.
OSHA would have had fits had they seen most of those procedures.
Heck, I recall the hay wagon ran over my foot when I once fell off.
Heck the horse drawn loft hay lift was another very dicey operation, you had to move out of the way very fast when old nelly nag lofted the next load without warning.
The only 'heads up' was the grinding of the loft pully as a load was on its way.
OK, good memories.
Also remember the neighbor kept his cream (unpasteurized) on a sling in his shallow well as they had no fridges back then.
And the separator machine that you'd crank with much effort (for me back then).
That was a whole other era! but good memories.

/ What were you doing when you were 11 years old? #37  
JFK’s funeral on TV was the first thing I remember, when I asked about it my mother said “a great man has died.”

The Apollo moon landing I watched in our camp living room, my mother let us stay up late to watch it.

9-11 I was working in upstate NY and didn’t have a clue what was going on until I came out of the woods around 5:00. I was driving down the road, trying to decide if I wanted to go back to my motel or back into the woods for a couple of hours when I snapped on the radio and heard them talking about it. To everybody else it was rehashing old news so it took a while to figure out what happened.

/ What were you doing when you were 11 years old? #38  
JFK’s funeral on TV was the first thing I remember, when I asked about it my mother said “a great man has died.”

The Apollo moon landing I watched in our camp living room, my mother let us stay up late to watch it.

9-11 I was working in upstate NY and didn’t have a clue what was going on until I came out of the woods around 5:00. I was driving down the road, trying to decide if I wanted to go back to my motel or back into the woods for a couple of hours when I snapped on the radio and heard them talking about it. To everybody else it was rehashing old news so it took a while to figure out what happened.
I was in jr. high when JFK was assassinated, I recall everyone being called into the auditorium where the principal made the announcement. I don't recall being affected one way or the other other than wondering why someone would shoot the president, I do remember all regular programming on the radio (and probably tv) being suspended until after the funeral. For a teenage kid just getting into rock & roll it made the time pass very slowly.

I was out hiking on 9/11, finishing my last 2 N.H. 4k's. Another hiker I met on the trail gave told me about it, I listened to coverage in the car on my way home but it wasn't until I saw it on tv did it register what had happened.

Don't recall where I was for Apollo.
At 12, I discovered rock n roll.
Same here, actually it was maybe 6 months before I turned 12 (1962). From what I've seen talking with others, that seems to be a common age for that.

/ What were you doing when you were 11 years old? #39  
At ten I was plowing and rototilling on the farm. I could back up trailers but just learning to stay on a two wheel bike.