What Width Wheel Spacers?

/ What Width Wheel Spacers? #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
Hi,

I have a Kubota B2910 and forget what the outside width of the rear tires is, but I think it is probably about 58".

My Box blade is 60".

After NOT making spacers myself, even though I got some steel to make 1.25" spacers, which is all I really need to get chain clearance on the rear tires, I am thinking I will just bite the bullet and buy some spacers.

Question is: How bad is it to have rear tires that are wider than a box blade?

I am thinking if I am going to spend the money I should buy spacers that are either 3" or 4" wide, to increase the tractor stability. But doing so would put the rear wheels out probably 2 or 3 inches beyond the box blade on each side.

Using the box blade in the past I was happy that the tires were narrower than the cut of the blade. Should I worry about this or just error on the side of improved stability?

Appreciate your thoughts on this!

Bill

/ What Width Wheel Spacers? #2  
If tires are wider than your Box Blade after one or two pulls in the same aisle, your tires will be on two shelves and the Box Blade will not cut deeper because Box Blade weight will be on tires not dirt. This will be exacerbated if your Box Blade is light.

If you have a Loader, you could reverse tractor and scoop out tire shelves with the bucket, one at a time, but I would not recommend it unless you have lots of time.

One or two inches will be OK. Tires and Box Blade sway will crush that minor amount. Over 3" wider, probably not.

I have a Kubota B2910 and forget what the outside width of the rear tires is, but I think width is probably about 58".

Best to measure EXACT width of your tires outside-to-outside first. You may be surprised.

If you have R1/ag tires on your "B", which would be unusual but not unheard of, the dealer may be able to spread wheels 4" without wheel spacers.

Consider filling your rear tires with liquid to improve stability and traction. Downside: with filled rear tires you may rut turf the tractor drives over.

MORE ON FILLED TIRES:
6 Reasons to Liquid Ballast your Kubota’s Tires | OrangeTractorTalks
Comparing Types of Liquid Tire Ballast | OrangeTractorTalks

Last edited:
   / What Width Wheel Spacers? #3  
Hi,

I have a Kubota B2910 and forget what the outside width of the rear tires is, but I think it is probably about 58".

My Box blade is 60".

After NOT making spacers myself, even though I got some steel to make 1.25" spacers, which is all I really need to get chain clearance on the rear tires, I am thinking I will just bite the bullet and buy some spacers.

Question is: How bad is it to have rear tires that are wider than a box blade?

I am thinking if I am going to spend the money I should buy spacers that are either 3" or 4" wide, to increase the tractor stability. But doing so would put the rear wheels out probably 2 or 3 inches beyond the box blade on each side.

Using the box blade in the past I was happy that the tires were narrower than the cut of the blade. Should I worry about this or just error on the side of improved stability?

Appreciate your thoughts on this!

Bill
Have you tried the box blade with the current width of the rear tires yet? I have spacers and my box blade is narrower than my rear tires. It works fine as a dirt hogger. I don't finish grade with it.

/ What Width Wheel Spacers?
I Will have to measure the rear tires today and see exactly what the width difference is between my 5 foot box blade the existing tires. They are R4s.

The rear tires are liquid filled. Windshield washer fluid.

I have had this box blade, which is a light duty king cutter, for about as long as I have had the tractor, which is 15 years, so I have used it a lot over the years, but not that regularly on a yearly basis.

I suppose after measuring the tire width I should shoot for spacers that limit the extension of the tires beyond the box blade to about 2 inches maximum...If I want to keep the most effective box blade use.

Perhaps I should have the title of this thread How much wider is your box blade down your rear tires? :)

/ What Width Wheel Spacers? #5  
If you can be content to Box Blade only moist, soft soil, the Box Blade could perhaps work OK with tires 3" wider on each side and still have Box Blade sway and tire weight crush forming shelves. Loaded rear tires will certainly squash dirt more effectively than air inflated rear tires.

This is a conundrum which can only be answered during use.

Last edited:
   / What Width Wheel Spacers?
Well, I have more details. Looks like my rear tire width is just under 54 inches with R4 tires. Makes sense as it matches my 54 inch loader bucket.

Anyway, if I went with 3 inch spacers that would give me the same width as the box blade. 4 inch spacers would add an inch wider than the box blade each side. Looks like either would be ok. Not sure what I will order but figure nothing wider than 4 max.

Thank for the advice guys. Put my head in the right place!

Bill