What would you do?

/ What would you do? #11  
If the dodge trannys were better I'd consider it. The overall fit and finish of the dodge leaves alot to be desired. The torque of the diesel is hard to beat. A gas engine in the hills here is not the most enjoyable ride.

Matt

Always a Ford owner ... and always used ...Until 1999 thats when I bought my first New truck a 99 F-350 PSD before 18,000 miles They had been in the rear end, twice. In the Transmission 3 times, the injector pump once ... I argued back and forth and tried to get rid of it and the Same Ford dealer I bought it from tryed to steal it back on a trade. Thats when I owned my first Dodge New in the Fall of 99 and traded then for another new one in 03 and in 04 traded again for another new one (realized I did need FWD)... I used them do not abuse them. I have a 20' GN cattle trailer, 25' GN flatbed and I haul with them .... Neither one of them have been in the shop for anything other than a/c AND all three had the same a/c problem ... They are all automatic's and I will buy Dodge again ....

/ What would you do?
I haven't owned a dodge but had a few work trucks that were. I had a 1 ton drw in 98 and towed alot with it. THe tranny was replace 5 times under warranty. We had a fleet of dodge vans that were having the same issues. I friend of mine has an04 3500 cummins with manual trans. He's had that thing out of his truck quite a few times. He isn't running chip either.I've had several other bad dodge experiances as well. I think comparing the interiors of dodge to either of the other two is a joke. Talk about plan jane boring.
The gas diesel debate is very valid. I know if I were to go v10 I'd end up disappointed before long. I'd like some input on the meduim duty idea.

Matt

/ What would you do? #13  
Not to rain on you parade but your fooling youself. The 6.0 is a poorly designed engine. You will end up with issues, it's got too many area's that can fail. If the truck sits alot you'll end up replacing the turbo.

Matt;)

I agree with you on some aspects of the 6.0, and am by no means a fan of them. The variable pitch vanes seizing on the turbo is what I beleive you are referring to in the section of your post that I quoted. This is not just a Ford issue, GM has had a variable pitch turbo on the Dmax since 2004.5, and cummins has been using them for a few years as well.

If I were in your shoes, I would have your current truck fixed by a reputable diesel tech with a lift[cab has to come off]. Then drive it for another 60 or 80k. 3 grand is a big nut to crack all at once, but the note on a CC Dmax 4x4 with 30k miles will be at least 500 bucks a month, and in 6 monthes of payments, you could have fixed your ford and been done with it. I would be a little leery buying a big ticket truck that is 2 yrs old with low miles on it, chances are it was a pos that somebody pawned off to the dealer, regardless of make.

I myself drive a Dmax that I bought new and have put 97k on, I have been a diesel tech for a large county highway dept for 13 years, and work on Internationals every day, as well as ISB cummins and 6.5 chevs and Dmaxes, as well as the vehicles they are in. I know the weak area's of the 6.0 well, and what it takes to repair one. It is not a time bomb, just has a crappy egr system and not enough head bolts by design. I would not be afraid to lift the cab, yank the heads and get them checked, reseal the topend, put it back together and drive it for 60 more k till paid off.

/ What would you do?
I agree with you on some aspects of the 6.0, and am by no means a fan of them. The variable pitch vanes seizing on the turbo is what I beleive you are referring to in the section of your post that I quoted. This is not just a Ford issue, GM has had a variable pitch turbo on the Dmax since 2004.5, and cummins has been using them for a few years as well.

If I were in your shoes, I would have your current truck fixed by a reputable diesel tech with a lift[cab has to come off]. Then drive it for another 60 or 80k. 3 grand is a big nut to crack all at once, but the note on a CC Dmax 4x4 with 30k miles will be at least 500 bucks a month, and in 6 monthes of payments, you could have fixed your ford and been done with it. I would be a little leery buying a big ticket truck that is 2 yrs old with low miles on it, chances are it was a pos that somebody pawned off to the dealer, regardless of make.

I myself drive a Dmax that I bought new and have put 97k on, I have been a diesel tech for a large county highway dept for 13 years, and work on Internationals every day, as well as ISB cummins and 6.5 chevs and Dmaxes, as well as the vehicles they are in. I know the weak area's of the 6.0 well, and what it takes to repair one. It is not a time bomb, just has a crappy egr system and not enough head bolts by design. I would not be afraid to lift the cab, yank the heads and get them checked, reseal the topend, put it back together and drive it for 60 more k till paid off.

Ryan, thank you very much for your reply. This is the type of reply I was hoping to get. The turbo was replaced at 30k and I've made sure to run the truck hot to keep the exhaust system as soot free as possible. I know that guy that are capable are replacing their head stud and gaskets to prevent the issue in the first place. I would love to do the EGR delete but don't think it will pass inspection with emissions. Is this correct? I owe about 17k on this truck. My local dealer is not very good but there is a good diesel repair shop near by. I would really like the crew cab but could live with the x cab for now. I know I've read that it's easier to remove the heads with the cab off. The drivers side head doesn't look to bad to get to but the passengers looks tough. I wish I there was a local diesel tech that could help me with the repair. This way I could keep the cost down and get more familiar with the engine..

Matt

/ What would you do? #15  
Ryan, thank you very much for your reply. This is the type of reply I was hoping to get. The turbo was replaced at 30k and I've made sure to run the truck hot to keep the exhaust system as soot free as possible. I know that guy that are capable are replacing their head stud and gaskets to prevent the issue in the first place. I would love to do the EGR delete but don't think it will pass inspection with emissions. Is this correct? I owe about 17k on this truck. My local dealer is not very good but there is a good diesel repair shop near by. I would really like the crew cab but could live with the x cab for now. I know I've read that it's easier to remove the heads with the cab off. The drivers side head doesn't look to bad to get to but the passengers looks tough. I wish I there was a local diesel tech that could help me with the repair. This way I could keep the cost down and get more familiar with the engine..

Matt

I am not familiar with your states emissions test, so I do not want to speculate as to whether or not it fail with the egr bypassed. In Ohio, they sniff the exhaust, and scan the computer through the obd2 port, and I would not want to take that test with a bypassed egr.

I have heard that there are guys that can R&R the heads with the cab on the chassis, I have never seen it done that way, and after doing two top end reseals on 6.0's with the cabs removed, just do not beleive this can be done with the cab on and maintain any degree of quality in workmanship due to the space constraints in the rear of the engine compartment.

It takes a very good tech with all around experience to do this right. There is much more involed than diesel engine work, the tech must also be familiar with ford trucks, and know how to remove interior components without breaking the clips[sill plates, kick panels, etc], be familiar with disabling the air bag system, removing the cab, etc. The truck is actualy made to be taken apart this way, and the entire front clip can stay on the cab, even the grill stays in, likewise, the front bumper stays on the frame. Be very selective who you let do this. This is one of those cases where cheaper is not nececariy better.

/ What would you do? #16  

Matt

I hate to say it but if you owe 17K you are upside down on this truck and are stuck. I agree with Ryan. Do what we both say and get Head Studs put on it and drive it like you stole it.

By the way I know about a dozen guys who have Ford 6.0's and about half a dozen with Dmax and Cummins and the Fords have been by far the best as far as maintenance go. The 3 6.0's I take care of are dry as a bone, no drips or leaks. All 3 have chips and we tow heavy, over 15,000# with zero complaints. The guys with Dodges have had tranny problems. I was one of these guys who had 3 trannys in a 04 2500 before 60,000 miles.

Chris

/ What would you do?
I hate to say it but if you owe 17K you are upside down on this truck and are stuck. I agree with Ryan. Do what we both say and get Head Studs put on it and drive it like you stole it.

By the way I know about a dozen guys who have Ford 6.0's and about half a dozen with Dmax and Cummins and the Fords have been by far the best as far as maintenance go. The 3 6.0's I take care of are dry as a bone, no drips or leaks. All 3 have chips and we tow heavy, over 15,000# with zero complaints. The guys with Dodges have had tranny problems. I was one of these guys who had 3 trannys in a 04 2500 before 60,000 miles.

Chris

Chris, do a kbb trade in value and I'm right on track. Your one of the few that have had no issues. The chips are almost always the cause of a lot of issues. The head stud issue is very common on chipped trucks. I'm not saying it's a bad engine it just has too many common failures. The turbo failure can be avoided with proper operation. But I can't see anyway of keeping the head studs from stretching unless you don't tow with it. And why would you buy a diesel truck if towing wasn't part of the deal. The bed plate oil leaks are another real common failure. Then of course there the ford front end. I've already replaced the steering box and ball joints. Plus alot of bushings. I don't plow with it but realize the engine itself is a load. Again this thread isn't about bashing the 6.0. It was rushed to production and was a good bump in hp over the 7.3. It was never had any trouble with any trailer I've needed to tow. I've thought about repair the hg but just feel that trading may be the best option. There are some good deals around right now. I was wondering about ordering a truck. Do you still get to negotiate and get rebates/incentives when you order them?:confused:

Matt

/ What would you do? #19  
I hope you make out ok Matt. I know what KBB says but I find that when the deals are good on new trucks that value is out the door. I have a 2004 F-250 that is paid off and I would not give it up for what they are going to give me on trade. Its not given me a days trouble with about 70K on it. I drive it hard and keep it in 120 RWHP on my chip unless towing then I go with 80 RWHP. I have said this before and will say it again. The 6.0 likes to be beaten. I roast the tires once a day just for good measure. I feel this keeps the EGR and turbo vanes clean by running them hard.

Chris

/ What would you do? #20  
Matt,

The 6.0L is not a bad engine--it is also not a good engine for its use in the 250 and up truck. This engine was designed by Navistar to be a lower power, more utilitarian engine. Many of the pieces in the motor are not built to super heavy duty standards. I would forego adding power adding chips, etc., to this engine if it is to last--even it is the thing to do. It might also be reasonable to try redoing the studs and seeing how it goes, but if you find a reasonable buyer you might come out ahead there just to sell. It sounds like your confidence in the motor has been shaken, and when that happens it is often easier to just trade--if you can. A 7.3L if you could find one might make the most cost effective choice. Not quite as much stock power but a goodly amount of torque and more reliability. Ford makes a nice tough work truck.

I could not agree with Chris........LESS on the GM line. Chris is a fine fellow and he and I both like Fords, but I do not agree that the GM line is not up to snuff here. I have a 2009 GMC and while there have been some updates v. 2006-2007 I can tell you my GMC pulls better than my 6.4L Ford--which incidentally had an 8800# GVWR also--but weighed more itself. I do not know what mutant line of GM trucks Chris might have been exposed to, but my truck pulls up to 11,000 pound bumper pull loads without any trouble. It does not squat or wobble and the power and tranny performance is great. It also gets about 14 mpg pulling those type loads. My friend and coworker pulls a 15,000 pound fifth wheel triple axle toy-hauler with his 2007 GMC and has had zero troubles. I do NOT agree that the GM line will not handle the load. The newer ones have been hopped up a little but one of our OR CNRA's has a 2006 he pulls 12-14K gooseneck horse trailers with and he also does not have a problem. I have multiple other examples but suffice it to say I have never heard of a GMC or 2500 Chevy having problems pulling up to and beyond its rated weight. The concern here is that those who have these trucks do not sell them often and when they do--and have a diesel--they bring top dollar (where I live). You might wish to look at a gas GM 2500 truck, they might be more available. These trucks are better daily drivers than my 2008 Ford was, though I liked my Ford's styling and imposing size better. I cannot comment on Dodge as I have never owned one; but family members of mine who have them like them. It is hard to beat a Ford or GMC to me when looking at the whole package though.

My suggestions: look for a 6.4L (good engine--incentives right now) or a used 7.3L (2002-2003) in good shape or repair/upgrade your 6.0L. If these are not found a V10 Ford or gas GM 2500 might be your next best option. If you find a good deal on a GM 2500 with the Duramax, to me that trumps the previous choices but they are hard to find and usually pretty pricey. Let us know what you decide. I do like Chris BTW he is a good man and an "online friend" in the forum with whom I usually agree, I just cannot agree with him on the towing prowess of the new GM products. How can one expect better than no problems at maximum spec weight?? Having owned both a Ford 6.4L diesel and a GMC 6.6L Duramax in less than 2 years the similarities and differences are pretty fresh to me.

John M