What would you do ?

/ What would you do ? #71  
Well, I have hated New England (from KY originally and lived all over)... but at this point NE is looking pretty good. It's running around 75 these days. BUT... I'll take your area in the winter.
When I lived on the MX border of AZ the workers started VERY early in the morning and quit at noon. Maybe that's a possibility.

Good luck!
That whole idea of a siesta has a LOT of merit, particularly in the heat.

/ What would you do ? #72  
Did you mention that you “Gave Your Word” ?

/ What would you do ? #73  
Visit, but don't work.

If the property is located where you can do the work (or some of it) after sundown that might be an option. Amient temp is bad enough, with the sun beating down on you, even worse.

Having worked around steam turbines the better portion of my life I'm used to high temperatures. Although at my age I'm beginning to see it elevating my heart rate when I do (or it could be this smart watch telling me things I never knew before). If it can be done, it's best to avoid it for now.

/ What would you do ? #74  
Good thing you canceled. It is brutal today. 96˚F at noon and heat index of 104˚ with it just getting hotter by the hour we will top out at 5PM. Your MIL and I might be in the same neighborhood. Water restrictions are for the lawn irrigation system only (2 days per week currently) but you can still hand water. It might be under a hundred in a few weeks but not by much. Just plan on working 50% of the time and hydrating and cooling off the other 50% when you do come down. There is a point (and I have been there twice in past years) where heat exhaustion and dehydration makes you want to throw up just looking at water and you crave an IV from the ER. You don't want to go there.

/ What would you do ? #75  
tstex I feel for you. You are obviously many people's go-to guy. You have equipment, skills, and some willingness to help. You must feel bad about not being able to help at this time, otherwise you would not have posted. Nothing you can do about an injury or the weather.

I like the quality of the responses you received. The posters who said 'visit /don't work' are right on the money. The poster who said the landscaping probably wouldn't survive in the heat...also spot on. I think you got the makings of a good reply to any who may ask why you're not working.

Best wishes from N Minnesota (high of 72 today)

/ What would you do ? #76  
Hello to all,

This coming weekend my wife and I had promised to go to her moms house to redo some of her landscaping and power wash her entire back yard area. I also had this planned 3 weekends ago but pulled a deep muscle in my upper mid-rt back. There was no way I could lift that much or esp pull the starting cord on a power washer. Everyone understood.

Well, this weekend it's supposed to be 102 on Fri and 104 on Sat, plus 100-102 Tues on until this weekend and Sun-Tues of next week 102, 104, 102 and 100-99 the next 2-3 days thereafter. I am no longer 20, 30, 40 or 50, but I can take the heat, not just triple digit for too long. Also, putting plants into the ground w ambient air temps of 100-104 for 10+ days before during and after planting, doesn't set up the odds for survival too well. Plus the soil N of Austin TX isn't sandy loam, it's a rocky/soil blend. Her retirement community is also going on water rationing. To fill the truck, it $130 and right under 6 hrs rd trip. I am ok w that part, but the heat, damnnnnn.

So, I am looking for some artillery to postpone until the heat retreats to some extent. I really like my MIL, but not looking forward to cooking outside. The heat index will be in the 114-118 range....and no, plenty of beer isn't the answer :LOL:

Thanks for your feedback...
Just say No !

/ What would you do ? #77  
Yes, Mother Nature does ***** MIL. But I also say, COMMON SENSE beats all other excuses. When temps are above 90F, regardless of age, common sense dictates keeping outdoor activities to a very low to low level.

/ What would you do ? #78  
MIL has 104˚ today (actual temp no heat index).

/ What would you do ? #79  
Good call. I'll be down that way around that time, but just to pick up daughter in Seguin and then up to Lubbock. Otherwise, I'd offer to help.

I've lived all over. Yes, dry heat is better. At least I don't have to shovel the heat. High humidity can be awful even at 70 degrees. 'High' humidity in north Texas seems to be about 50%. Up nort' growing up we had 70-80% a good many days. 85 degrees and 85% humidity is way worse than 100 degrees and 15% (how it was in Vegas).

One of the advantages to retirement is deciding for myself what days and what times work should be done. June-Sept down here is mostly morning work and afternoon relax.

Good call, stay safe.

/ What would you do ? #80  
It was 115 heat index here today. I waited until 6pm to go out and run the tractor. A few tours in Iraq and I hate the heat. I hate being cold worse though.

20 mins oer hour of easy activity outside is about all I can take in this heat.