What you all use for tomato cages?

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
Hi All,

I use concrete reinforcing wire for my tomato cages. Works really well, but it sucks cutting and working with a roll of that stuff. Just wondering what ingenuous ideas others have come up with.

Thanks
Dave

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #2  
I use tomato cages. 🤣

In all seriousness, though, although the re-wire is a tad hard to work with, they hold up really well and can be used again and again. I've been through many of the thin wire cages over the years, and eventually coughed up the money for the thicker wire ones.

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #3  
Rabbit cage pliers and small bolt cutters work great on concrete wire. Hog rings and tee post clips also work well and in a pinch,zip-ties beat twisting wire togeather.

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #4  
Been re-using the same poor quality tomato cages for a few years, lol.

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #5  
We uses to use PVC pipes. We put screws in every 8 inches or so to have something to tie the twine around and would put water in the PVC pipe to let it drain down into the soil around the root.

Now I just use metal fence posts and tie my plants together down the row and back. They are easy for tying the plants too with all the notches on them.

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #6  
I've used wood stakes with cross pieces screwed to the stakes at intervals.

I plan to use left over fixed knot fencing this year.

I've done containers in 5 gallon pots hung high in the air with holes in the bottom for the plants to grow out through. Interesting thing about hanging them high is fewer bugs and the aphids can't find them. Works best with an automatic watering system.

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #7  
We found used tomato cages at one of our local nurseries for a buck each. My wife bought all of them the first year, and then did the same the next year. We have over a hundred of them now.

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #8  
I use field fence and make 3' diameter cages, works great and lasts for years and years. :)
3610163_A1.jpg
3610163.jpg

Last edited:
   / What you all use for tomato cages? #9  
Hi All,

I use concrete reinforcing wire for my tomato cages. Works really well, but it sucks cutting and working with a roll of that stuff. Just wondering what ingenuous ideas others have come up with.

Thanks
Dave
Me too. It's a pain making them in the first place...I have a small pair of bolt cutters that work great...but they last forever. Some are getting along in years, and I have to cut the bottom section off because it's been destroyed by rust. I cut mine just above the ring, which leaves the sharp prongs to push into the ground. I plant my tomatoes with two plants close enough together so that I can join the two cages with a zip tie, and that's all the support they need. They never blow over.

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #10  
I never found a cage worth the money. I now use cattle panels and tie the tomatoes
up with strips of cloth.
image000000 (26).jpg