What's in your Cellar? (Wine)

/ What's in your Cellar? (Wine) #1  

turbo36

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD X739 AWS (3), 2016 Toolcat, JD 2038R
What\'s in your Cellar? (Wine)

I've seen some discussion on beer but nothing on wine yet, so any wine drinkers out there?

/ What's in your Cellar? (Wine) #2  
Re: What\'s in your Cellar? (Wine)

Various stuff, but more Cab's. We're right in the center of the historic 49er Gold Country, which just happened to be a great place to grow apples and grapes. Grapes and wine go all the way back to the Gold Rush days.

Now, within a 60 mile radius, there are over 65 wineries, from tiny to medium size. Non are the big production types like found in Napa.

Here's just a few... El Dorado wines

/ What's in your Cellar? (Wine)

I meant to attach this to my first post, this is my "meditation room" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 826781-DSC_0075 (Medium).JPG
    826781-DSC_0075 (Medium).JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 189
   / What's in your Cellar? (Wine) #4  

That room would hold way more than a lifetime supply for me. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I keep a big jug of Carlo Rossi Burgundy in the refrigerator and frequently have a little glass before dinner. And just once in a great while buy a small bottle of something else, or try something new in a restaurant.

/ What's in your Cellar? (Wine) #5  

Very impressive Turbo! After finishing my basement shop I can finally maneuver around in our storage room. In there are just a couple of cases worth aging. Nothing particularly noteworthy, just some duplicates of cabs and such we've picked up on our travels. Maybe some from Michigan, but not much. California and France for sure with a bit from the Biltmore in North Carolina.

We were married in 1990 which was a huge year for French wine. I was over there in 1994 and planned to bring some back for our future anniversaries. The better wine merchants had each vinyard displayed with a selection of each vintage. In most cases, the 1990's were gone! I managed to find a couple of bottles that I could afford and still have one down there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ What's in your Cellar? (Wine) #6  

We have about 300 bottles. No case lots of anything...a few 3's and 4's for dinner parties, but mostly 1's and 2's from places we have visited on trips to Napa and Paso Robles. Lots of Niebaum-Coppola, Tobin James, Eberle, Adelaida, Turley and Wild Horse. Of the 300 bottles, about 20 are white. Of course that number (both the total and the white portion) are completely fluid. I am a wine drinker, not a wine collector.

/ What's in your Cellar? (Wine) #7  

Wow!! That room's impressive!! The wife and I are real fond of red wines. Mostly merlot, cab's and shiraz. Neither of us have much fondness for white wines.

A few years ago we were at a trade convention in Napa Valley and had a blast. I enjoy some of the wines St. Francis vineyards produces. As well as some of the wines by Redwood Creek and BV Coastal Estates. I can find them all for some pretty good prices.

Here's our humble wine collection. No need to worry about "aging" our wines. They never hang around that long before they get uncorked /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 826846-11506 Wine Rack (450 x 600).jpg
    826846-11506 Wine Rack (450 x 600).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 203
   / What's in your Cellar? (Wine) #8  

I have nothing like that celler. All mine is in 5 gal carboys. I've been making my own for about 30 years. Mostly fruit wine, about 15 gal of eldeberry, 10 of blackberry, some tokay. One year I got way more production from my bee hives than I planned for so I made 10 gal of meed. New York state makes some fine wine in the central finger lakes region. and some of the winerys about 15 miles north of me in Ontario make Ice Wine. If you've never tried it, your in for a treat.

/ What's in your Cellar? (Wine) #9  

I make my own wine from concentrate that I purchase at Wine making shops in Canada. It's a big business there. Just finished a 6 gallon batch that was started just after Christmas.
My storage place is not as fancy as yours. It's down in our unheated basement.
We do 18-25 gallons a year. Mostly White. Red wine gives me a headache that will not go a way.
Last Batch was a Blush. Had to try it before doing any aging. Looks like it's going to be one of our favorites.
I thought after retirement I would have more time to try some more exotic wines. But have been stuck on the same types of wines.
Last year I spread a few bottle around to TBN members during our trip out west. Never had any complaints and the few extra bottles I left at Jinman's place seems to be all gone. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Have I mentioned that I'm headed out that way next month. Lot of good Wines in the Yakima Valley where my Son lives.
There was also short discussion on wines in this thread. Click Here
I would like to grow my own grapes. But I do not live in a good area for the better grapes to grow that will make great wine. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ What's in your Cellar? (Wine) #10  

Yep, I can attest to the fact that Ron makes some good wine!