Comparison Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming?

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #41  
Sure it does. I was just thinking that the same goes for power steering. It used to be that power steering on tractors gave no end of problems. And even when it wasn't giving problems power steering tended to whine and leak constantly. But it got figured out and now they are reliable.
Maybe some should stick with mule power then.

Same argument.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #42  
Maybe some should stick with mule power then.

Same argument.
No argument. Just a try at weighing old mechanical systems against today's technology.

Some things get better. Turbos and FWD seem to be like that. They used to be found only on specialized machines - where they were a headache. Now our tractors and pickups have them both. Plus power steering.

Some things get worse. Electtricals and repairability are examples. Complexity is another.

Some things are both. Reducing emissions is better but method of doing so is worse.

And then there is that small class of weird things that seem to just stay the same. The 3pt hitch hasn't changed much in nearly 100 years. It's not simple or easy to repair - just reliable and unchanging.
rScotty

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #43  
Well, many people say they wont buy a gear tractor for much the same reasons, and you have to admit that having a 'turbo' adds another level of cost and complexity for any brand of tractor, or model.
Tractor turbos are low pressure turbos with high reliability and longevity. You may typically achieve a 12-15hp increase, unlike the high pressure screaming turbos seen on Mercedes and other motor vehicles. Personally, I recommend looking at the Kioti DK lineup of tractors.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #44  
Tractor turbos are low pressure turbos with high reliability and longevity. You may typically achieve a 12-15hp increase, unlike the high pressure screaming turbos seen on Mercedes and other motor vehicles. Personally, I recommend looking at the Kioti DK lineup of tractors.

Tractor turbochargers can operate at similar pressure to on-road vehicles' turbochargers. My Deere 5075E is rated to operate at 16.9-18.9 PSI turbocharger boost pressure at full power. The 6.7 V8 diesel V8 in Ford's 3/4 and 1 ton units makes in the 20 PSI range and their gasoline 3.5 L turbocharged V6 makes mid to high teens PSI stock. A Cummins ISX truck engine makes about 40 PSI peak. I tried to look to see what the typical boost pressures are on a Mercedes engine such as the current OM656 but other than "it's a sequential turbo setup" I couldn't find numbers.

The pressure does vary based on power. Picking on Deere's units without an arbitrary power ceiling like the 2.9 L in my tractor (Deere won't exceed 75 HP in order to not put a SCR setup on this engine), Deere's 6.8 L six has a turbo boost pressure ranging from a low of 12.3-15.2 PSI in the 155 HP 6155R and it goes up to 32.6-35.5 PSI for the 270 HP 7R 270. The highest values I have seen are just a fuzz over 40 PSI for the top end of the operating range for the highest-tuned 9.0 L and 13.5 L engines.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #45  
Comparing the turbo on a 280z to the turbo on a 40HP diesel tractor is literally like comparing a RAM TRX to a F450 Limited. Its not the same, diesel is a completely different concept. I'm not trying to cause a debate between me and @Reddogs but i want you to understand that a 280z is a sports car, and is gas. a 40 hp tractor is diesel. Diesel turbos last many many many years without a problem, so saying that you dont want a turbo because of a past experience is pure ignorance. Many people, like yourself don't understand engines and tractors and the standards+testing engines are put through. Don't take it the wrong way, but you need to do more research and educate yourself thouroughly on diesel turbos. I would say don't avoid turbo but avoid emission standards. Remember, ignorance isn't just because you don't want to understand it, its rather your not educated on the subject enough to give a valid argument. My dad was a mechanic for 20 years. He will not buy a car with a turbo, but there is an exception-diesel. I have worked in the landscaping/mowing business for 11 years. I haave owned tractors with & without turbos, and i have never had an issue with a turbo. If you really want to look at a tc40d.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming?
Comparing the turbo on a 280z to the turbo on a 40HP diesel tractor is literally like comparing a RAM TRX to a F450 Limited. Its not the same, diesel is a completely different concept. I'm not trying to cause a debate between me and @Reddogs but i want you to understand that a 280z is a sports car, and is gas. a 40 hp tractor is diesel. Diesel turbos last many many many years without a problem, so saying that you dont want a turbo because of a past experience is pure ignorance. Many people, like yourself don't understand engines and tractors and the standards+testing engines are put through. Don't take it the wrong way, but you need to do more research and educate yourself thouroughly on diesel turbos. I would say don't avoid turbo but avoid emission standards. Remember, ignorance isn't just because you don't want to understand it, its rather your not educated on the subject enough to give a valid argument. My dad was a mechanic for 20 years. He will not buy a car with a turbo, but there is an exception-diesel. I have worked in the landscaping/mowing business for 11 years. I haave owned tractors with & without turbos, and i have never had an issue with a turbo. If you really want to look at a tc40d.
I know, but the higher level of complexity and cost were my point, not gas/diesel car/tractor comparison....

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #47  
My Branson is 42hp 4 cylinder with no turbo.

Yooper Dave

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming?
Now that makes sense, but still I would be very hesitant to buy a tractor with a turbo, much like I like direct drive rather than these hydrostatic transmissions which can burn up when you go low on fluid. I try to keep it simple as a rule of thumb and as 'bullet proof' as possible, like my Tacoma..

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #49  
Now that makes sense, but still I would be very hesitant to buy a tractor with a turbo, much like I like direct drive rather than these hydrostatic transmissions which can burn up when you go low on fluid. I try to keep it simple as a rule of thumb and as 'bullet proof' as possible, like my Tacoma..
Clutch wear and replacement is a bigger problem than hst or turbo warranty.

Ever wonder why you can’t get a manual transmission in a heavy duty pickup anymore, or why the majority of mediums are Allison’s?

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #50  
Check out the dealers nearest you and what people say about dealers.....Kubota Kioti Mahindra [at just under 700 hrs I have had a good experience with my Mahindra so far] Branson LS for off shore stuff.....JD Case New Holland Massy Ferguson for "on shore"