Wheel bearing grease for small trailers?

/ Wheel bearing grease for small trailers? #21  
What is a good, commonly available grease for the wheel bearings on smaller trailers? It's been years since I've greased one. I want to do the wheels bearings on my 7'x10' trailer with a HD axle and 205/75-15 tires that often travels the Interstate. I tried to search but our search is confusing to me.

On slow speed farm wagons I just use Red N Tacky or Deere Polyurea because that's what I have and it's not clay based. No big deal and it works. I also have an older can of disc rated wheel bearing grease. Any advice appreciated.

Side question here is should I just replace the wheel bearings regardless of condition? I had a mechanic tell me that cleaning them often damages the bearing surface and it's better to replace. What do you think?
I got 350k miles on my car. It has old school wheel bearings with Races. Everyv100k miles I clean and repack. They are tight, no play, no issues.

/ Wheel bearing grease for small trailers? #22  
Two of our trailers have the zerks under there bearing caps, whatever that system is called.
I think that may be Dexter EZ lube Axles. Pump grease into each zerk until it pushes the old grease out and you see the new grease. Quick, easy, doesn't require tire removal or packing. I have those axles on my 14K equipment trailer.

Last edited:
   / Wheel bearing grease for small trailers? #23  
I think that may be Dexter EZ lube Axles. Pump grease into each zerk until it pushes the old grease out and you see the new grease. Quick, easy, doesn't require tire removal or packing. I have those axles on my 14K equipment trailer.
Ya, I think you got the brand. Have to admite, I just put a few pumps of grease in them, per year.

/ Wheel bearing grease for small trailers? #24  
Here's a helpful fairly easy to read link with charts personally I use moly on loader pins etc, and run of the mill red grease on wheel bearings etc, I also use two grease guns manual pistol grip for red grease and a dewalt cordless for moly, which makes greasing a loader or backhoe easy.

/ Wheel bearing grease for small trailers? #25  
Mystik JT-6 High temp red grease is all I ever use. It has a GC-LB rating that says it's good for bearings and chassis.

/ Wheel bearing grease for small trailers? #26  
+1 for the Lucas Xtra HD green grease. While the Amazon ad says ‘Lithium’ it’s not, it’s polyurea based. I use it for everything- loader pins, bushings, boat trailer wheel bearings, etc. Doesn’t wash out, doesn’t separate in hot weather, and is reasonably priced at around $4.50 a tube on Amazon & Wallyworld.

/ Wheel bearing grease for small trailers?
+1 for the Lucas Xtra HD green grease. While the Amazon ad says ‘Lithium’ it’s not, it’s polyurea based. I use it for everything- loader pins, bushings, boat trailer wheel bearings, etc. Doesn’t wash out, doesn’t separate in hot weather, and is reasonably priced at around $4.50 a tube on Amazon & Wallyworld.
Small side comment here on these modern polyurea greases is that they are perfect for loader grease points. The thicker and stickier grease takes all the slop out of my loader and it stays that way much longer than with other greases.

/ Wheel bearing grease for small trailers? #28  
I can't comment weather that's the perfect grease for everything or not but i will say most people will just have one grease gun and just one grease for it.

/ Wheel bearing grease for small trailers? #29  
Frequent greasing with mediocre grease is way better than infrequent greasing with the best grease. It pushes contaminants out of joints & keeps fresh grease where it should be.

Few if any joints on a tractor have a seal on them to blow out. Front axle pivot, PTO shafts & some rotary bearings on implements are the exception. Extra grease makes for a greasy dirty area, but the important moving parts are cleaned, protected & lubricated.

/ Wheel bearing grease for small trailers? #30  
Does anyone besides me use Bearing Buddies to keep trailer bearings greased?
Yes sir on both of my trailers the buddies are a must IMHO