Wheel Weights

/ Wheel Weights #11  
Rear weights and loading the rear tires will help with the braking and pulling power of your tractor.

We do not know the OP's location. We do not know the OP's experience in operating tractors, other than the M. We do not know if the M's rear tires are loaded with liquid now. We do not know what type of tires he has now, nor sharpness of tread.

The OP's M7060 is the heaviest tractor still considered a compact tractor, at about 5,000 pounds bare weight. If the OP has rear tire ballast already, he will have to consider possibility of rutting the ground when it is wet if wheel weights are added in addition to liquid ballast. It seems unlikely that the OP is engaged in ag work for his income. Rutting may be a big negative.

I SPECULATE liquid rear tire ballast on an M adds 900 pounds to bare tractor weight.

I SPECULATE cast wheel centers on an M add 1,000 pounds to bare tractor weight.

/ Wheel Weights #12  
Do rear wheel weight let you operate in 2 wheel drive more? Just bought a Kubota M7060 and this is my first experience with this type of braking system. I usually drive in 2wd with the brake pedals split for manoueverability and was driving down the raod (dirt) and when I hit the brakes the rear wheels locked and I hardly even slowed down. Very scary! Now using 4wd all the time but have to switch to 2wd for sharp turns.
Any rear ballast, e.g., wheel weights, cast centers, liquid ballast, counterweight, etc., will increase rear wheel traction. Three point mounted counterweights are most effective.

I have multiple FWA tractors with FELs that are sometimes operated on steep ground. Though I avoid FWA when not needed, I always engage FWA when on steep ground if the FEL is installed. The L6060 with 4-in-1 bucket is particularily dangerous on steep ground even with an empty bucket and 3 weights on each rear wheel.

Because I still repair/change my own tires, I never use liquid ballast. I do equip all of my tractors with the maximum number of rear weights and sometimes use ballast boxes.

SDT

/ Wheel Weights #13  
Try this tractor on an ice covered steep driveway :D
100_4169.JPG

The loader cutting edge was your brake, those tires were loaded (calcium🤬) and she would just slide the tires on the driveway hill.
You Could plow snow simplely by shoving the clutch in and letting her coast, with the blade turned around and angles going thru 10-12 inches of snow gravity gave enough power to plow.

Last edited:
   / Wheel Weights #14  
In a 4WD tractor, going down hill in 4WD will have the engine compression working for you, generally enough that U can retain control and avoid a wild ride. (and save your shorts)

/ Wheel Weights #15  
I remember all too well going down a hill in the orchard on a Massey 175 and when I touched the brakes, the tractor would take off on the governor. One time I had to put it into a power slide to keep from going out through the bushes. NOT something you would normally do on a tractor.

/ Wheel Weights #16  
I'm with SDT
Any weight you put on the rear tires will help. 3 point implement or wheel weights or liquid in tires. Even a box blade may not be enough. I recommend starting with Rim guard in the tires. Unless you remove your own tires. It will make a big difference.
But I think wheel weights are expensive.
OTHERWISE, you are always going to have to use 4WD all the time on slopes using front wheel traction. But still not a lot of help with braking.

/ Wheel Weights #17  
Do rear wheel weight let you operate in 2 wheel drive more? Just bought a Kubota M7060 and this is my first experience with this type of braking system. I usually drive in 2wd with the brake pedals split for manoueverability and was driving down the raod (dirt) and when I hit the brakes the rear wheels locked and I hardly even slowed down. Very scary! Now using 4wd all the time but have to switch to 2wd for sharp turns.

1. Did you have something in the front loader (hay bale, bucket full, etc)
2. Do you have the rear tires filled?
3. Did you have an implement on the back? If so which?

/ Wheel Weights #18  
How in the world did we survive on the farm with 2 wheel drive tractors? I guess it was because we ran wheel weights and loaded tires. I rarely use 4WD on my tractors. I rarely use the brakes for stopping.
Tractors also weighed more for their size. Steel was cheap, mechanical parts are now replaced by electronics!

/ Wheel Weights #20  
You SHOULD have said, MOST tractors, only have brakes on the rear wheels, because SOME tractors do have brakes all around.

SR
Exactly and those tractors who have front brakes, start right at 50 HP on large frame. Most will also have front diff lock.