Wheel Weights

/ Wheel Weights #21  
How in the world did we survive on the farm with 2 wheel drive tractors? I guess it was because we ran wheel weights and loaded tires. I rarely use 4WD on my tractors. I rarely use the brakes for stopping.
Precisely. Same here. Been driving 2wd for decades with not even a close call. Most did Not have weights at all. But all were older heavy machines.

/ Wheel Weights #22  
You that didn't use the brakes to stop even with 2wd tractors must be on some pretty flat ground.
I would hate too try and count the number of times that I have been inside the old IH dry disc brakes.
Replacing discs, springs and balls then turning the drums down and putting shims between the drum and
tractor to adjust the clearance.
And even having to work on some of the wet brakes that actually wore out.
We work fields that even down in the lower gears you need a brake application to bring the engine rpm down.
And that is with 2 and 4wd tractors

/ Wheel Weights #23  
Most likely those of us who did real farming and used 2wd trctors had an implement in the ground or were pulling something heavy that did not roll well or had a 3-point implement on....

/ Wheel Weights #24  
Most likely those of us who did real farming and used 2wd trctors had an implement in the ground or were pulling something heavy that did not roll well or had a 3-point implement on....
What's real farming????, I must not know what I do often????
corn 1.jpg

2012-06-10_15-36-59_636.jpg

Think that tractor stops without using the brakes?????
435.jpg

Care to work those fields without brakes.
As far as any REAL FARMING I think I can cover that.

Had to reattach the pics for some reason

Last edited:
   / Wheel Weights #26  
The best argument for 4WD is the sale number of new 2WD tractors, here I live it's zero and has been sins the early eighties.

/ Wheel Weights #27  
Do rear wheel weight let you operate in 2 wheel drive more? Just bought a Kubota M7060 and this is my first experience with this type of braking system. I usually drive in 2wd with the brake pedals split for manoueverability and was driving down the raod (dirt) and when I hit the brakes the rear wheels locked and I hardly even slowed down. Very scary! Now using 4wd all the time but have to switch to 2wd for sharp turns.

Did you have a load in the bucket? That will change weight distribution enough so that the brakes cause the rear tires to skid. Skidding the rears with a load in the bucket is VERY DANGEROUS GOING DOWNHILL.

Tractors only have brakes on the rear tires. Driving in 4wd couples the front tires to the rear mechanically...so the effect is as though you have brakes on the front as well. You always do that going down hills. But they are still undersized 2 wheel mechanical brakes.
Most of us simply do not drive a tractor very fast and never fast when it is loaded. The brakes are inadequate at best of US tractors. So go slow, especially down hill. Don't tow much and always be prepared to drop the bucket or implement to the ground for an anchor.
It's differerent in Europe, their tractors are decades ahead in tractor technology.

Oh, all US tractors are 4wd assist. They are not made to be run in 4WD all the time. The front tires need to slip to avoid torsional wind-up on the transmission and driveshafts. You can tell when this is happening because it will become very difficult to shift out of 4wd.
You will have to rock it back and forth to get the 4wd lever to move. That is your warning sign that the shafts have torsional stress on them. And it is the only one you get.

You can use 4wd all the time of course if you don't mind risking the repairs. It's only money....
Most of us use 4wd only when we must unless the surface is slippery like a dusty road or icy drive. And even there don't drive in 4wd unless you have to. Especially with the loader bucket full.
enjoy!
rScotty

/ Wheel Weights
You SHOULD have said, MOST tractors, only have brakes on the rear wheels, because SOME tractors do have brakes all around.

SR
Yes my old Case International had brakes all around so hitting the brakes on my brand new M7060 in 2WD really spooked me.

/ Wheel Weights
Wheel weights definitely will help. But depending on how steep the hill you still may want to use 4WD.
Oh yeah! Use it all the time just much easier on the tires on the flat if they are not working against each other on the tight corners or on the asphalt.

/ Wheel Weights
Did you have a load in the bucket? That will change weight distribution enough so that the brakes cause the rear tires to skid. Skidding the rears with a load in the bucket is VERY DANGEROUS GOING DOWNHILL.

Tractors only have brakes on the rear tires. Driving in 4wd couples the front tires to the rear mechanically...so the effect is as though you have brakes on the front as well. You always do that going down hills. But they are still undersized 2 wheel mechanical brakes.
Most of us simply do not drive a tractor very fast and never fast when it is loaded. The brakes are inadequate at best of US tractors. So go slow, especially down hill. Don't tow much and always be prepared to drop the bucket or implement to the ground for an anchor.
It's differerent in Europe, their tractors are decades ahead in tractor technology.

Oh, all US tractors are 4wd assist. They are not made to be run in 4WD all the time. The front tires need to slip to avoid torsional wind-up on the transmission and driveshafts. You can tell when this is happening because it will become very difficult to shift out of 4wd.
You will have to rock it back and forth to get the 4wd lever to move. That is your warning sign that the shafts have torsional stress on them. And it is the only one you get.

You can use 4wd all the time of course if you don't mind risking the repairs. It's only money....
Most of us use 4wd only when we must unless the surface is slippery like a dusty road or icy drive. And even there don't drive in 4wd unless you have to. Especially with the loader bucket full.
enjoy!
rScotty
My rear tites are loaded but can't drive in 2WD with the bucket loaded without spinning. That's one of the reasons I was asking how much the wheel weights helped.