When is it time to repalce the tires

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
I have a FarmTrac60. It is a 2003 model with low hours (less than 2000 hours). When not used the tractor is parked in a barn that is not climate controlled. I do not use the tractor for my livelihood.

The rear tire are 14.9x28. I have noticed some tread wear but I am more concerned with the cracking I see on the sides of the tire.

I am looking for advice of how to know when I need to replace the tires. One one hand I think about waiting until I have a blow out on the other hand I know that if I have a tire failure it will be at the worst possible time in an area that is not easily accessible.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #2  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
Tractor tires usually last decades unless they wear out first. I’d leave them. Chances are they’d start leaking before they suffered a catastrophic failure.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires
OP
marhar

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
Tractor tires usually last decades unless they wear out first. I’d leave them. Chances are they’d start leaking before they suffered a catastrophic failure.
Thank you.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #4  

dusty3030

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010 Cab, Kubota M9000 DTC, Kubota M7040 HDC, Kubota U35-4
And when they start leaking, tube them and use them 10 more years.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #5  

marcwert

Tractor
kubota bx
That is what I do. I never could guess when a tire will fail. The belts provide strength. If they have enough tread and the tube can hold air use them. I would not run down the road at 15 mph with a bad tire, but in a field at 5 mph the tractor will fall in the dirt.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #6  

sandman2234

Tractor
JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota
I had a Ford 1100 subcompact tractor that had tires on it so cracked it looked like a pond gone dry! I sold the tractor to a friend and he was all concerned about the rear tires, that he was considering backing out of the deal. I found some tires and rims in a junk yard and took them with me when I delivered the tractor, told him not to put them on till he had some sort of tire issue. He didn't listen, just put them on the next week. When I bought the tractor back, he gave me the original tires and rims, and they are still up, considering the fact that they are fluid filled. We are talking about a set of tires that came on the tractor in 1978!!
David from jax

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #7  

citytransplant

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 270DTC
Just yesterday the front tire sidewall on my Farmtrac 270 DTC blew as my wife was moving manure out to the manure pile. She said it made a hissing sound and she thought a hydraulic hose blew (goats like chewing on them). I told her she'd know right away if it was a catastrophic failure in hydraulic system. The unit is 15 years old with only 350 hours but has been stored outdoors throughout most of its life. Is it possible to insert a tube?

Attachments

• blown_titan_tire.jpg
    blown_titan_tire.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 78
   / When is it time to repalce the tires #8  

Doughknob

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X500, Bobcat CT4045
No

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #9  

Doughknob

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X500, Bobcat CT4045
Get a barn and a new tire. the sun is extremely hard on tires......

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #10  

blee03

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
No tube is going to fix that one, she gone!