When is it time to repalce the tires

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
I have a FarmTrac60. It is a 2003 model with low hours (less than 2000 hours). When not used the tractor is parked in a barn that is not climate controlled. I do not use the tractor for my livelihood.

The rear tire are 14.9x28. I have noticed some tread wear but I am more concerned with the cracking I see on the sides of the tire.

I am looking for advice of how to know when I need to replace the tires. One one hand I think about waiting until I have a blow out on the other hand I know that if I have a tire failure it will be at the worst possible time in an area that is not easily accessible.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #2  
Tractor tires usually last decades unless they wear out first. I’d leave them. Chances are they’d start leaking before they suffered a catastrophic failure.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires
Tractor tires usually last decades unless they wear out first. I’d leave them. Chances are they’d start leaking before they suffered a catastrophic failure.
Thank you.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #4  
And when they start leaking, tube them and use them 10 more years.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #5  
That is what I do. I never could guess when a tire will fail. The belts provide strength. If they have enough tread and the tube can hold air use them. I would not run down the road at 15 mph with a bad tire, but in a field at 5 mph the tractor will fall in the dirt.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #6  
I had a Ford 1100 subcompact tractor that had tires on it so cracked it looked like a pond gone dry! I sold the tractor to a friend and he was all concerned about the rear tires, that he was considering backing out of the deal. I found some tires and rims in a junk yard and took them with me when I delivered the tractor, told him not to put them on till he had some sort of tire issue. He didn't listen, just put them on the next week. When I bought the tractor back, he gave me the original tires and rims, and they are still up, considering the fact that they are fluid filled. We are talking about a set of tires that came on the tractor in 1978!!
David from jax

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #7  
Just yesterday the front tire sidewall on my Farmtrac 270 DTC blew as my wife was moving manure out to the manure pile. She said it made a hissing sound and she thought a hydraulic hose blew (goats like chewing on them). I told her she'd know right away if it was a catastrophic failure in hydraulic system. The unit is 15 years old with only 350 hours but has been stored outdoors throughout most of its life. Is it possible to insert a tube?

Attachments

• blown_titan_tire.jpg
    blown_titan_tire.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 121
   / When is it time to repalce the tires #8  
No

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #9  
Get a barn and a new tire. the sun is extremely hard on tires......

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #10  
No tube is going to fix that one, she gone!