Where do you buy your metal stock?

/ Where do you buy your metal stock? #101  
There's this
CHICAGO, BURLINGTON & QUINCY
Or maybe those charts only list "oddball" choices by the RR, there's the 136# mentioned by BrokenTrack, here
AMERICAN RAILWAY ENGINEERING ASSOCIATION (A.R.E.A.) RAILS - BT did mention this
"When I worked for UP/BNSF we used 136 pound rail"

Also, when I worked in the rare metals plants some of our older ultrasonic test units had been repurposed and highly modified RR units; I was told they used to be used to test the thermite welds on tracks. I'm trying to picture how they woulda contained an "in place" water bath so the transducer would couple... Steve

/ Where do you buy your metal stock? #102  
There's this
CHICAGO, BURLINGTON & QUINCY
Or maybe those charts only list "oddball" choices by the RR, there's the 136# mentioned by BrokenTrack, here
AMERICAN RAILWAY ENGINEERING ASSOCIATION (A.R.E.A.) RAILS - BT did mention this
"When I worked for UP/BNSF we used 136 pound rail"

Also, when I worked in the rare metals plants some of our older ultrasonic test units had been repurposed and highly modified RR units; I was told they used to be used to test the thermite welds on tracks. I'm trying to picture how they woulda contained an "in place" water bath so the transducer would couple... Steve

If you start a thread, I'll add to it. Although my experience with the industry is rather limited. I worked for around 5 different car repair shops over the years. (ak carmen)

The list was composed before the merger of Burlington and Northern. As per wiki
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Burlington Northern Railroad (reporting mark BN) was a United States-based railroad company formed from a merger of four major U.S. railroads. Burlington Northern operated between 1970 and 1996.

Its historical lineage begins in the earliest days of railroading with the chartering in 1848 of the Chicago and Aurora Railroad, a direct ancestor line of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, which lends Burlington to the names of various merger-produced successors.

/ Where do you buy your metal stock? #103  
Yes. Somebody please start. Sounds like interesting stuff

/ Where do you buy your metal stock? #104  
For anyone from MN that follows this thread, be aware of the following:

Coremark Metals has various pricing schemes. The price I was quoted on the phone for a couple items (I think I listed them earlier) was a fair amount lower than what I was actually charged in the store. I didn't catch it at checkout because I also bought a bunch of other stuff and didn't look at line item pricing. I called to ask today and was told of this difference. They did not adequately explain why there is a difference but there are prices for calling, for walking in, and for buying online. So, for best pricing you need to call them and get a quote on what you need and ask them to pick it for you. Then show up at the store to pick up your order.

As an example, I was told initially on the phone that a 2x2 1/4" angle of hot-rolled steel was $34 for a 20' length. I was also told they will cut in half for free. When I got to the store I asked at the desk for that and the person said "we have 10' pieces in the store you can get yourself". Turns out the price in store is $24.33 for 10', so $48.66 for 20 feet. And it is not just due to the length. If you walk in and ask for and get a full 20' piece it still is going to be more than $34.

Screwy. Pay attention.

Rob

I knew the web price was worse, and I have often called ahead for large order quotes (though i haven't bought large orders from them as I found that other closer & better place I noted), but I was unaware that the walk-in price was higher than calling. That seems a bit slimy to me. Like I said, everything changed when they built the indoor metal mart palace, as they had discovered what a gold mine the shorts were...

/ Where do you buy your metal stock? #105  
   / Where do you buy your metal stock? #106  
I think a lot of it is discontinued....

The most common ones are 30 pound, 60 pound, 90 pound, 115 pound, and 136 pound.

I forgot about the 90 pound rail: that is VERY common.

Track gauges are fun too. For instance, Maine is known for our "Two Footers" which is 24 inch gauge track instead of standard gauge (4'-8-1/2"). Do a search for "Maine Two Footers" and there are several railroads here that used that gauge.

/ Where do you buy your metal stock? #107  
Wonder what the HE&WT used? HE&WT was the Houston, East & West Texas Railroad. Also, known as **** Either Way Taken.

HOUSTON EAST AND WEST TEXAS RAILWAY | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

Most likely 60 pound. If they did a lot of heavy hauling they MIGHT have used 90 pound.

My local railroad put down 90 pound from a bigger railroad junction to a grain mill since they were hauling heavy grain cars, but 60 pound rail for the rest of the line.

Regional railroads would most likely use 115 pound rail, and 136 pound rail was for the class 1 railroads. Those two would most likely be welded rail too.

30 pound rail would be very old rail, or rail used in mine tunnels.

In this photo, my wife's left foot is on 90 pound rail, and her right foot is on 60 pound rail. Interestingly too, the track is laid like this because this is on a bridge, and at one time it was required to have a "guard rail" put down in case a rail car derailed, but that is no longer required by Federal Railroad Administration Rules.

100_2578.JPG

/ Where do you buy your metal stock? #108  
OK,,,, seems no one will start a separate thread so I will. In what category should it be placed?? Other stuff, rural living, somewhere else? and what Title would be good?

/ Where do you buy your metal stock? #109  
The Keeping Track of Track Thread