Where Do You Start?

/ Where Do You Start? #11  
Find good living location for the family until insurance company gives you the green light to clean up.

/ Where Do You Start? #12  
Hi Doofy. I hear you on your sentiments. Last flood here was over 15,000 years ago. During the last ice age. If the wind blows 40 mph - we get excited. Large half-ring of giant Ponderosa pines protects the house & out buildings.

I'm at 2300 feet and wildfire is always a fall concern. Recorded history shows no earthquakes in this area. There is alway Mt St Helens - but we survived that once.
Good Morning oosik. The Copper Basin was once a giant lake, way, way back when Alaska was a tropical paradise. Tolsona mountain is loaded with fern and sea shell fossils. This place would have been a sight to see!

/ Where Do You Start? #13  
We talk about this often. At what point do the insurance companies say we’re not doing business here. Some places get hit constantly.

/ Where Do You Start? #15  
Change the building code to encourage a different style construction. :)

hobbit2.jpg
bbit.jpg

Bruce

/ Where Do You Start? #19  
Unless there's a fire with minimal escape routes I like earth berm homes.
I have built an earth sheltered home. The only rooms that require code egress are "habitable" rooms. The kitchen, utility, bathroom, closets, storage, etc. are not considered habitable, so only the bedrooms and family spaces like living room or family room require emergency egress. You line up all the non-habitable rooms along the back wall, and all the habitable rooms on the front. Kitchen codes may vary, but I'm not aware of any code that allows exiting through a kitchen. Since earth sheltered homes are typically heated with passive solar, they have open floor plans.