Where is OSHA when you need them...

/ Where is OSHA when you need them... #21  
Making sure, no one has ripped the tags off the ladders?

/ Where is OSHA when you need them... #22  
Them OSHA Bas****s seam to think that they can go anywhere they want. they never used to pester residential contractors up here in N. Idaho until a few years ago. now they do. I got fined ...that is to say my boss got fined... on a commercial high school gym job i was working on. i was on cherry picker about 50' in air and i tied my harness off to the red iron on the framing. The gym floor was still dirt as this was winter and ground was frozen. i would descend fully before moving due to rough terrain. but when i was up working on the lights i roped off to the red iron. That rig did not seem very sturdy to me, and my pucker factor meter was on high alert. OSHA pig yelled for be to come down. i did. he read me the riot act about needing to secure to lift...not to the red iron. I basically told him to Go to He**. if that lift tipped over i want to stay up tied off to the iron ...not falling 50' to my death. the boss came over and agreed with me. OSHA pig refused to budge. so the boss said get back to work and tie off to iron, he'll pay the fine. im not sure what the result of the whole thing was, but i got the job completed.

/ Where is OSHA when you need them... #25  
That picture could also be captioned "Why women live longer"...

/ Where is OSHA when you need them... #26  
/Spinal Fluid on the sidewalk.

/ Where is OSHA when you need them... #27  
OSHA isn't allowed to enter a job unless they are called . Then they have to announce their pressense. Then they can start their inspection . Most osha fines are setteled for 10 cents on a dollar. GC on on of our jobs got 650,000 $ in fines wound up settleing for 2,500$:confused3:

/ Where is OSHA when you need them... #28  
Two of my guys got pinched by OSHA a few years ago. They were replacing balcony rails on a four story apartment building and gaining access to the units off an 80' boom lift. While in the lift they were tied off to the cage and when on the balcony they were tied off to an OSHA approved anchor point. The inspector fined us for them not being tied off to both points while hopping off the lift onto the balcony

I explained to the inspector the instructions I gave to the guys for transferring to the balcony and he said they followed them but my method was not OSHA approved. My instructions were to stay tied to the cage while on the lift and one guy was to go onto the balcony and install the anchor point. The guy on the lift was to disconnect the two life lines and toss them to the guy on the balcony who then tied the lines off to the anchor on the balcony and the other guy was to transfer to the balcony. This seemed to me to be the logical way of transferring to the balcony but the inspector gave me his "approved" method

According to OSHA both guys have to be tied off to the boom and the anchor before they could safely transfer to the balcony. When I pointed out the obvious flaw to his logic he ignored it and proceeded to tell me how much the fine would be. Once I received the $8,000 fine I called to appeal it and got it reduced to $100 since the person I was talking to couldn't figure out how we were supposed to tie off to an OSHA approved anchor that didn't exist until we installed it :duh:

/ Where is OSHA when you need them... #29  
Two of my guys got pinched by OSHA a few years ago. They were replacing balcony rails on a four story apartment building and gaining access to the units off an 80' boom lift. While in the lift they were tied off to the cage and when on the balcony they were tied off to an OSHA approved anchor point. The inspector fined us for them not being tied off to both points while hopping off the lift onto the balcony

I explained to the inspector the instructions I gave to the guys for transferring to the balcony and he said they followed them but my method was not OSHA approved. My instructions were to stay tied to the cage while on the lift and one guy was to go onto the balcony and install the anchor point. The guy on the lift was to disconnect the two life lines and toss them to the guy on the balcony who then tied the lines off to the anchor on the balcony and the other guy was to transfer to the balcony. This seemed to me to be the logical way of transferring to the balcony but the inspector gave me his "approved" method

According to OSHA both guys have to be tied off to the boom and the anchor before they could safely transfer to the balcony. When I pointed out the obvious flaw to his logic he ignored it and proceeded to tell me how much the fine would be. Once I received the $8,000 fine I called to appeal it and got it reduced to $100 since the person I was talking to couldn't figure out how we were supposed to tie off to an OSHA approved anchor that didn't exist until we installed it :duh:
Yup......now that sounds like a typical government employee goofball. They typically are book trained, never having any real practical experience.

/ Where is OSHA when you need them... #30  
But a guy making a good living, with you paying his salary, and a nice pension to look forward to. Contrast that to the working stiff just trying to make a living!

I love our laws about tying off while using a ladder above a certain height. Again, often to what? The ladder?