Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA?

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #1  

PistolPete

Tractor
John Deere X590
I’m getting ready to build my new barn. It’s a 40x60 hybrid steel/wood building - steel columns and trusses with lumber gifts and purlins. The problem I’m running into is that the design calls for southern yellow pine (2x6 and 2x8, #2 or better), but I’m having a hell of a time finding a local supplier. All the lumber yards have plenty of SPF, and pressure treated SYP - but not regular SYP that I need.

Anyone have suggestions as to where I should look in south western PA area? I’ve tried the big boxes, HP Starr, and 84 Lumber, with no joy anywhere.

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #2  
It's a wild shot, but SYP is used extensively for trusses. Do you have a truss plant nearby and will they sell to you? It's not part of their normal business that I know of.
Someone/where there is a chart where you should be able to convert the related strengths of syp to another species and equivalent dimensions or frequency of the spacing.

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #3  
Dude... if it's just lumber for girts and purlins.... you don't specifically need SYP. SPF is fine. Whats your truss spacing?

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #5  
Here in SYP land, we try to use SPF. Pine sawmills all over down here. # 1 SYP goes overseas. I built a house for a guy at the sawmill. Got a bundle of 2x12x20 without a single knot or flaw. They do exist.

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #6  
Usually all menards has is SYP in 2x8 and bigger. And can be ordered in 2x6's as well.

But without seeing building plans......I agree that SPF is probably more than sufficient. Strength wise.....gotta look at the charts....but lumber grade makes more of a difference in terms of strength than SPF vs SYP. some of the MSR boards that are SPF are rated way stronger than SYP.

And most the trusses here in ohio are SPF lumber....usually MSR rated

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #7  
menards sells SYP

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA?
I’m running 12’ spacing on columns and trusses, so wind and snow loads can lead to some serious deflections on less-than-adequate strength members. My engineer spec’d SYP #2, or any lumber with equivalent bending strength and E mod (which even spf #1 doesn’t meet). I didn’t look yet for any MSR, since I figure yellow pine would be easier to find.

I see a Menards not too terribly far away in WV that stocks what I need … so that may be the plan.

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #9  
What did your engineer spec for Fb and E?

Both #1 and #2 SPF exceed the Fb, E, and maximum spans (for same parameters) than #2 SYP. Only going to #1 SYP do you see an advantage over the SPF.....but only the #1 and #2 visually graded stuff. Get into the MEL and MSR lumbers (which are alot more $$$) and species dont really matter. You select your strength parameters and regardless of species, they are gonna meet those parameters

You can play around with the span calculator at awc.org

They also give the wood properties, like the modulus of elasticity (E), Fiber bending strength (Fb), among others.

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA?
They spec’d 1000psi Fb and 1,600,000psi E. (Oddly, 1.6M is higher than #2 SYP is rated) It looks to me like #1 SPF is off those figures by about 15%.

I’m getting all these values from NDS 2018