which boomer?

/ which boomer? #1  

jiminpa

Bronze Member
Tractor
massy 35 diesel
o.k. i'm going to buy blue! my question is do i buy the 3 cylinder 35 or spend a little more for the 4 cylinder 40?i'm putting the loader on,trading my rototiller for a longer one(mine is a jd 448) and mabe get a backhoe.presently running a massey 35 diesle(1962).

/ which boomer? #2  
My experience is the 3 cylinders run smoother than the 4 cylinders if that is the only selection criteria. Most manufacturers only go to 4 cylinders when 3 won't produce enough HP. My Massey 245 was a 3 HP 40HP Perkins Diesel and it was a very smooth running tractor. My present tractor is a 4 cylinder with 68HP and it is a very new engine design and runs extremely clean and has more torque at idle than my Massey did at full throttle! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ which boomer? #3  
jiminpa,

I recently faced the same decision you are now facing and I went with the 40. It was $600 more than the 35 and after driving both the 4 cylinder felt smoother to me. It also seemed to burn cleaner.

Don't mean to contradict Wen and his experience of which engine type is smoothest as I've never compared engines before now. (I've really appreciated all the advice I've read on this board).

Either way you go you will be happy with it.

DVerbarg

/ which boomer? #4  
jiminpa
With the 40 you will gain in loader abilities and weight. You did not mention tranny choice or Super Steer? There is the small loss of PTO when choosing Hydrostatic drive.
I too ran a MF Utility 35 three hole Perkins. I would have to be fair in telling you the MF had hours on it and had been rode hard and put away wet. (Not by me) With the abuse and diehard attitude of the Perkins, I would have to say you will gain a different RPM and tork range with the 40. More pistons equals more HP but less fuel and cleaner burning. And at a higher RPM than what you were use to with the MF three cylinder.
I have tried the TC45D and TC40. I can tell you they are a dream compared to what you have been on. If you stay with the TC35, you still have much more than "they all use to make em'" Do go test them if you are able. Then come back with that grin and let us know what you found. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ which boomer? #5  
I'm having the same dilema that you are regarding the TC35D or the TC40D! I have the TC35D HYDRO package priced out and ready to buy, including 16LA loader with HD bucket, 72in Bush hog Squealer rotary cutter, 72in HD bush hog box blade with scarifiers and the deal includes the labor for the first service, done on my farm, all for $20,999 out the door. There is no tax in Missouri on farm equipment. I really don't know if this is a good deal since no one answered my question on the NH pricing forum. It seems like a lot of tractor and impliments for the money. HOWEVER---- I called and asked how much more it would be for the TC40D Hydro and was told approx $1,350 more, so I may get the 40. What have you been quoted for the 35? I looked at JD, Kubota and NH and the only one I am comfortable sitting in is the NH and at 6ft-5in and 350 lbs, I need comfort!!! Sam

"I love the smell of diesel in the morning."

/ which boomer? #6  
gandalf
If you are aware of the term "leader car" on the car lots and local auto ad's, you will understand when I say there was a TC35 in a major Pacific Northwest truck trader type mag. It was listed @ $14.950? That was tractor only. I've been quoted a close $25.000 for TC45D with LA16 loader out of state. I would be comfortable in knowing the dealer you are working with will stay with you in your comfort zone. Sounds like a very nice package to me. Will be interested in what differences we have in the earth you will be treading on. The extra power of the 40 may be what you want.

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ which boomer?
just starting to dicker with this dealer,quoted $16,000 with loader.will have to see my tractor about trade-in.looked at green and orange,green was way high,orange dealer was a yahoo.(called 3 times for prices,was told to check the lot for a L3410,if there was one they would price it!! DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT HE HAD ON HAND!)blue dealer has been up front from the start,no b.s.he's about 20 miles away.i guess im lucky,i got three blue dealers within 25 miles,3 green,and 2 orange within the same 25 mile range.

/ which boomer? #8  
I have the TC35D with a 16LA loader. For a $600 more it would be hard not to get the TC40D. I was under the impression (at least at my dealership) that the price change was bigger, more like $1k. I had already used my $700 argument to go from a Kubota L3010 to the TC35. Didn't think I could get away with that twice! That said, I've had no complaints about the power of the tractor. My work is mostly rough cutting thick pasture grass. I can do this with the cutter at min height and driving in top gear. As far as loader ability goes, the 40 and 45 do have more lift capacity. I have the owners manual in front of me (it's the same for all 3 tractors) and it says the relief valve pressure on the 35 is 2275psi vs. 2500psi for the 40 and 45. This translates to a 16LA loader lifting 2000lbs vs. 1800lbs on the TC35D. The 35 and 40 differ in weight by 76 lbs. Either way you'll be fine. As someone else on this board has said, "Who has ever wished for less power?"

BTW Hawgee, when you going to buy yours?

Peter

/ which boomer? #9  
Wen, it is typical of diesels to develop most of their torque just off idle, 1600 to 1800 is the normal range for maxmimum torque, however, HP is another story and the design of the diesel influences HP trememdously. Understanding the relationship between torque and HP is difficult at best and often more misunderstood then understood. The inherent mechanics of a diesel favor higher torque sacrificing HP as a result. A factor creating the torque producing power of a diesel versus an equivalent gasoline displacement engine is the diesels ability to continue combustion through the downstroke of the powerstroke. Gasoline engines have a one shot deal, plug fires and bam, compression continues to diminish as the cylinder volume increases but with the diesel, sustained combustion via the injectors allows continued "push" during the powerstroke creating greater force. Diesel also contains a little more BTU's per unit then gasoline as well as weighing almost 2lbs a gallon more. Anyway, just thought you might be curious in case you did not know. Rat...

/ which boomer? #10  
A little more info you don't need and probably already know.
HP= (torque x RPM)/5250
Torque is what dynos measure. HP is calculated from that.
YOu can wind the dickens out of a low powered engine and develop gobs of HP. Fine in lite race cars, but won't pull your hat off in a tractor or tow truck unless you let her scream by using a low gear ratio.