Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic?

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #31  
Wow nice work Cad, I hope you received a bonus.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #32  
The only plastic body panels on my new MX is the cowling around the dashboard.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #33  
The only plastic body panels on my new MX is the cowling around the dashboard.
I guess it depends on what parts being "plastic", and what you're doing with them? Now coming from a guy with a tractor with "metal" on it, I can't really see how the plastic is going to be a big deal. I think you'd have to do something pretty spectacular to "break" a plastic hood. Personally the plastic/metal debate never entered into the selection process for me. I hadn't planned on entering mine in a demolition derby, or anything spectacular. I also go out of my way to not drop logs, or large rocks, or anything else falling off the backside of my bucket and landing on my hood. I've seen plenty of older plastic tractors on here that have weathered the ages just fine. Sure the paint fades, but the panels are still there and in one piece. I don't have any plastic panels on mine, with the exception that the rear fenders on my cabbed tractor are fiberglass (plastic-whatever). Since I make it a point to not side swipe cars, or trees, or any other fixed objects, my fenders are fine. A few scratches from driving through heavy brush sure, but no real damage.

Unless you're talking about plastic interiors? My cab has loads of plastic inside. Dash, knobs, panels, etc, all plastic. It spent it's first 3 years outside, and so far, nothing has faded or weathered so you could notice? It was only starting last summer that I had a place where I could park/store it inside a metal building. I think the only fading has been the paint on top of the cab roof. It has noticeably faded compared to the color of the hood.
Plastic is extremely strong and break resistant when new. UV sunlight breaks down the resins over time and makes the material brittle.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #34  
I referenced a Kubota BX I owned and my current JD 2025r. The Kubota had the sides and front around the engine as one piece. Once this cracked, story over, it eventually fell apart. The JD has separate sides, that have some shape but are mostly flat, the front is a metal mesh type grill. The hood on both the Kubota and the JD are pretty sturdy. The rear fenders and area around the seat just seem more durable on the JD but time will tell.
Kubota doesn’t put plastic hoods on tractors anymore. They only did that on a few BX models for a few years.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #36  
Plastic is extremely strong and break resistant when new. UV sunlight breaks down the resins over time and makes the material brittle.
That degradation of plastic only happens when the plastic has regrind in it (recycled plastic)

Virgin plastic has VERY long chain molecules, and it does not degrade.
the regrind chops the plastic, and breaks the molecules, causing shorter chain molecules,,
The plastic is then easy to degrade, and fail.

Back in the 1960's NO ONE even thought about plastic breaking, there was no old plastic to grind and re-use.
All plastic was virgin,, and very strong.

Find a plastic item made in the USA in the 1960's in an antique shop,, it is still remarkably strong.

Get an import item that has been molded from a high percentage regrind,
no one is surprised when it breaks on the third day,,,

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #37  
That degradation of plastic only happens when the plastic has regrind in it (recycled plastic)

Virgin plastic has VERY long chain molecules, and it does not degrade.
the regrind chops the plastic, and breaks the molecules, causing shorter chain molecules,,
The plastic is then easy to degrade, and fail.

Back in the 1960's NO ONE even thought about plastic breaking, there was no old plastic to grind and re-use.
All plastic was virgin,, and very strong.

Find a plastic item made in the USA in the 1960's in an antique shop,, it is still remarkably strong.

Get an import item that has been molded from a high percentage regrind,
no one is surprised when it breaks on the third day,,,
Where I live at high elevation in the SW Rocky Mountains. All plastic becomes brittle if left in the sun.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #38  
Yep... agree with ^^^^.
I have had 1/4" clear lexan become so brittle you couldn't pick up a piece bigger than a foot without it just snapping.

My LS only has a plastic dash. Even the mesh in the grill and side vents are metal.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #39  
Plastic can out perform metal, in the right applications
This is true and correct! ! ! "In the right applications." Those handles are a PERFECT example. But as I mentioned in another thread, the attachment points of the JD hoods to side panels tend to break leaving the hood rattling on the side panels.

The dashboard on my 1965 Dodge Coronet is Steel, and in pristine condition. The plastic on my 1999 Dodge Ram 4x4 is totally cracked and with gaping holes from it falling apart.

But, I totally agree that plastic can have a place in the right applications.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #40  
My Mahindra Max 24 has all steel body components. Fenders are so thin they used to rattle and vibrate all the time, had to attach steel plates on the fenders to get rid of the noise. I was told latter I could have applied a spray on bed liner to get rid of noise.