which chains and binders should i use?

/ which chains and binders should i use? #11  
When I chain my tractor L4400, I use two chains. I run from the rear corner of the trailer, over the BH frame, to the other rear corner of the trailer, same with the front.. Now I consider each corner as being two points of contact. Are you saying that I need a separate chain, and binder for each corner? As far as chain size goes, Bigger is always better. You never know what crazy situation you might find yourself in while using your machine. If you can afford it, go bigger, just like when you are buying a trailer.

For a private individual you are ok. For commercial transport this would NOT be ok. Any wheeled item must have 4 separate chains and binders plus each attachment like a FEL or BH must also be secure. The attachment can be done with a strap but chain is still preferred.

The reason is in your situation lets say the back chain breaks or comes loose and you stomp on the brakes its coming at your truck. With 2 at the front and 2 at the back you have the chance only 1 would break and the other would still secure the item until you could get stopped and reset the chains.

If you chains are long enough now you can just cut them and buy 4 hooks to make up the 4 you need. I only use 2 binders. What I do is drive the tractor up on the trailer, secure the rear chains, pull the tractor forward to snug them up, shut down and secure the front chains with binders then set the parking brake.

Chris

/ which chains and binders should i use? #12  
When I chain my tractor L4400, I use two chains. I run from the rear corner of the trailer, over the BH frame, to the other rear corner of the trailer, same with the front.. Now I consider each corner as being two points of contact.

That is what I do and so far no troubles but.......

Are you saying that I need a separate chain, and binder for each corner?

From my understanding they want 4 seperate chains connecting each corner 2F 2B. That way if one breaks there is still another connected whether it be front or back{obviously there will be 3 left all together}.

As far as chain size goes, Bigger is always better. You never know what crazy situation you might find yourself in while using your machine. If you can afford it, go bigger, just like when you are buying a trailer.

Completely agree 100 % :thumbsup: What some folks don't take into account is a sudden stop or accident that might happen. A chain may easily hold the weight of what is being hauled. The question is can it take the force of the weight when it suddenly shifts???? :shocked: Overkill may cost more but under load limit may cost lives{just a thought}

/ which chains and binders should i use? #13  
That is what I do and so far no troubles but.......

From my understanding they want 4 seperate chains connecting each corner 2F 2B. That way if one breaks there is still another connected whether it be front or back{obviously there will be 3 left all together}.

Completely agree 100 % :thumbsup: What some folks don't take into account is a sudden stop or accident that might happen. A chain may easily hold the weight of what is being hauled. The question is can it take the force of the weight when it suddenly shifts???? :shocked: Overkill may cost more but under load limit may cost lives{just a thought}

If it shifts it wasn't chained down right. Just saying.

/ which chains and binders should i use?
I was wondering when i go to lowes why don's I just buy four 10 foot chains there instead of two 20 foot chains and cut them?or is it cheaper to buy it longer?I am asking I do not know...and thanks for all the replies this is really helpfull.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #16  
I called DOT yesterday.They said it must be chained down on all four corners with chains and binders only ( no Straps ).He said if the tractor is over 4700 lbs I have to use 3/8 70 chain.He also said it had to be chained down to the trailer at a 45 degree angle.Attachment can be strapped down

/ which chains and binders should i use? #17  
I called DOT yesterday.They said it must be chained down on all four corners with chains and binders only ( no Straps ).He said if the tractor is over 4700 lbs I have to use 3/8 70 chain.He also said it had to be chained down to the trailer at a 45 degree angle.Attachment can be strapped down

Boy, your Canada rules are tough. Are you commercial?

Chris

/ which chains and binders should i use? #18  
I was wondering when i go to lowes why don's I just buy four 10 foot chains there instead of two 20 foot chains and cut them?or is it cheaper to buy it longer?I am asking I do not know...and thanks for all the replies this is really helpfull.

Its much cheaper. If you buy it by the foot its about $3 per foot so by the time you add the 8 hooks it would cost you $100. Get 2 20' chains and cut them and add 4 more hooks and you are at $80.

Just have them cut it. The chain is hardened so its tough to cut at home. Just take the time to lay it out on the floor, get it flat, and measure it off even.

Chris

Last edited:
   / which chains and binders should i use? #19  
I also use the Lowe's chain being discussed and it really is quality chain for a great price.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #20  
For a private individual you are ok. For commercial transport this would NOT be ok. Any wheeled item must have 4 separate chains and binders plus each attachment like a FEL or BH must also be secure. The attachment can be done with a strap but chain is still preferred.

The reason is in your situation lets say the back chain breaks or comes loose and you stomp on the brakes its coming at your truck. With 2 at the front and 2 at the back you have the chance only 1 would break and the other would still secure the item until you could get stopped and reset the chains.

If you chains are long enough now you can just cut them and buy 4 hooks to make up the 4 you need. I only use 2 binders. What I do is drive the tractor up on the trailer, secure the rear chains, pull the tractor forward to snug them up, shut down and secure the front chains with binders then set the parking brake.

Chris

I can't believe I did not think of that. I will always use a seperate chain from now on. I also use the Lowes chain by the way.