which chains and binders should i use?

/ which chains and binders should i use? #21  
With respect to load securement Nova Scotia has adopted the National Safety Code Standard.

The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal advises new Securing of Loads on Vehicle Regulations have been enacted, effective December 14, 2006. The Regulations adopt by reference the National Safety Code Standard 10: Cargo Securement, for all vehicles with a registered gross vehicle weight greater than 4,500 kg. For vehicles with a registered gross vehicle weight of 4,500 kg or less, the Regulations provide general securement rules. The Regulations retain the requirements for tarping from the previous regulations.

Here is a cut and paste of this standard which only applies to vehicels registered at over 4500kg gross weight. This section pertains to the securing of "light vehicles" (under 4500kg/9900lbs.) and "Heavy Vecicles" (over 4500kg).

Division 7 - Vehicles as Cargo

Application

87(1) This Division applies to the transportation of light vehicles, heavy vehicles and flattened or crushed light vehicles.

Light vehicles

88(1) Light vehicles shall be secured in accordance with this section.
(2) Despite section 22, a light vehicle shall be restrained at both the front and rear from moving sideways, forward, rearward and vertically using a minimum of 2 tiedowns.
(3) Tiedowns that are designed to attach to the structure of a light vehicle shall be attached to the mounting points on the vehicle that are specifically designed for that purpose.
(4) Tiedowns that are designed to fit over or around the wheels of a light vehicle shall restrain the vehicle from moving sideways, forward, rearward and vertically.
(5) Despite section 20, edge protectors are not required for synthetic webbing at points where the webbing comes into contact with the tires of the light vehicle.

Heavy vehicles

89(1) Heavy vehicles shall be transported in accordance with this section.
(2) Accessory equipment on a heavy vehicle, including a hydraulic shovel, shall be completely lowered and secured to the vehicle.
(3) Articulated vehicles shall be restrained in a manner that prevents articulation while the vehicle is on a highway.
(4) Despite section 22, a heavy vehicle with crawler tracks or wheels shall be restrained against moving sideways, forward, rearward and vertically by at least 4 tiedowns,
(a) each with a working load limit of at least 2 268 kilograms, and
(b) each attached, as close as practical, at the front and rear of the vehicle or to mounting points on the vehicle that are specifically designed for that purpose.

For your average guy with a pick-up truck hauling their compact tractor the above standards do not apply but the general securement rules set out in the regulation do. They read as follows:

Vehicles Weighing 4500 kg or Less

Application of Sections 10 to 13

9 Sections 10 to 13 apply to a vehicle that has a registered gross vehicle weight of 4500 kg or less and that carries a load on a highway.

Means of securing load

10 (1) A load carried on a vehicle must be secured by one of the following means to prevent the load from shifting on or falling from the vehicle:

(a) sides, sideboards or stakes, and a rear endgate, endboard or stakes, each of which
(i) is securely attached to the vehicle,
(ii) has sufficient strength and height, and
(iii) has no opening large enough to permit any of the load to pass through;

(b) at least 1 tiedown that meets the requirements of Section 11 for each 3.04 linear metres of the load or fraction of 3.04 linear metres, and as many additional tiedowns that meet the requirements of Section 11 as are necessary to secure each part of the load, either by direct contact between the tiedown and the load or contact between the tiedown and dunnage that is in contact with the load;

(c) any other means that prevents a load from shifting or falling that is similar to, and at least as effective as, the means specified in clauses (a) and (b).

(2) A tiedown is deemed to comply with the requirements for contact in clause (1)(b) if it meets both of the following criteria:

(a) it is in contact with the exterior topmost items of the load, or with dunnage that is in contact with the exterior topmost items of the load;

(b) it securely holds each interior and lower item of the load.

(3) A means of securing a load on a vehicle required by subsection (1) must be strong enough to prevent the load from shifting in a forward direction when the vehicle decelerates at a rate of 6 m per second or faster.

(4) This Section does not apply to either of the following:

(a) a vehicle carrying a load that, because of its size, shape or weight, must be carried on a special-purpose vehicle or must be fastened by special methods, if the load is securely and adequately fastened to the vehicle;
(b) a vehicle being operated by or on behalf of an authority having jurisdiction and control over a highway to apply materials used in constructing, maintaining or marking lines on the highway.

Tiedowns

11 (1) The working load limit of a tiedown or tiedown component that is marked by its manufacturer with a numeric working load limit is deemed to be the marked working load limit.

(2) The working load limit of a tiedown or tiedown component that is not marked by its manufacturer with a numeric working load limit is deemed to be the working load limit of the lowest grade or classification for that type and size of tiedown or tiedown component, as set out in Part 3 of the National Standard.

(3) The working load limit of a tiedown is the working load limit of the weakest component of that tiedown.

(4) Each anchor point of a tiedown must be strong enough to sustain the force exerted by the tiedown regardless of the direction of that force.

(5) A tiedown must not be used in any of the following circumstances:

(a) the portion of the tiedown that would be used to secure a load has a knot in it;
(b) any of the tiedown痴 components exhibit stretch, deformation, wear or damage beyond the limits specified by the manufacturer;
(c) the tiedown has been repaired or shortened other than in accordance with the manufacturer痴 specifications.

(6) If a lever-type tensioning device is used on a tiedown, the handle must be locked in place and secured by an adequate secondary means to prevent its inadvertent release.

(7) Except in the case of steel, fibre or synthetic strapping that is permanently crimped, tiedowns used on a vehicle to secure a load against movement in any direction must be designed, constructed and maintained so that the driver of the vehicle can tighten the tiedowns while in transit.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #22  
So in a nutshell, in Canada you'll be safe from fines or negligence if you follow the National Code for hauling light vehicles (under 4500kg) even though they only pertain to those with tow vehicles registered at gross weight weigt of 4500kg or over.

Your "light vehicle" tractor requires a minimum of two tie-downs, one front and one rear, and the tie-downs can be of the webbing variety.

Strictly following the provincial general tie down guidelines for tow vehicles under 4500kg it appears using one tie-down spanning the middle of the tractor would meet those guidelines.

I can't imagine a province adopting sticter regulations than the National code but not out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited:
   / which chains and binders should i use? #23  
So in a nutshell, in Canada you'll be safe from fines or negligence if you follow the National Code for hauling light vehicles (under 4500kg) even though they only pertain to those with tow vehicles registered at gross weight weigt of 4500kg or over.

Your "light vehicle" tractor requires a minimum of two tie-downs, one front and one rear, and the tie-downs can be of the webbing variety.

I can't imagine a province adopting sticter regulations than the National code but not out of the realm of possibility.

That is the way I read it also. Basically the same rules we have here in the states.

Chris

/ which chains and binders should i use? #24  
Here's a link to the Canadian National Safety Codes section on load securement.

CCMTA - Publications

I think it's also worth mentioning that unless the tractor being hauled weighs more than 10,000lbs there is no requirement for additional securement of attachments such as FEL's or backhoes.

Also if the chains or straps are not marked with working load limit these default ratings are assumed.

Chain

Size Working Load Limit

7 mm (1/4 in) 580 kg (1300 lb.)
8 mm (5/16 in) 860 kg (1900 lb.)
10 mm (3/8 in) 1200 kg (2650 lb.)
11 mm (7/16 in) 1680 kg (3700 lb.)
13 mm (1/2 in) 2030 kg (4500 lb.)
16 mm (5/8 in) 3130 kg (6900 lb.)

Synthetic Webbing

Width WLL
45 mm (1-3/4 in) 790 kg (1750 lb.)
50 mm (2 in) 910 kg (2000 lb.)
75 mm (3 in) 1360 kg (3000 lb.)
100 mm (4 in) 1810 kg (4000 lb.)

Last edited:
   / which chains and binders should i use? #25  
I just got off the phone with the scale house on # 2 highway which is where the DOT vans park.They said if they get any trailers coming though with a vehicle on them using straps for tie downs they hold them until they have proper chains or cables with chain binders.They must also have the vehicle tied down front and back with at leased one chain in the back and one in the front at a 45 degree angle to in sure the vehicle doesn't more forward or backward or side to side.They said the chain or cable must be DOT approved and be sized greater then the weight of the vehicle being carried.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #26  
Do you mean the #2 highway in NS? If so they can't legally do what they claim they will.

That scale is literally 3 minutes from my house, in a week or so when I take delivery of my trailer I'll be using that scale to check weights and balances when loaded with my tractor. I'm now looking forward to their reaction to my using 4 3,333lb WLL straps. I'll also have a copy of the regulations for them to peruse should they require a refresher course.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #27  
Do you mean the #2 highway in NS? If so they can't legally do what they claim they will.

That scale is literally 3 minutes from my house, in a week or so when I take delivery of my trailer I'll be using that scale to check weights and balances when loaded with my tractor. I'm now looking forward to their reaction to my using 4 3,333lb WLL straps. I'll also have a copy of the regulations for them to peruse should they require a refresher course.

Let us know how you make out when you show them the Regs.....

/ which chains and binders should i use? #28  
#2 highway in salisbury new brunswick,20 minutes West from moncton .They said absolutely no straps

/ which chains and binders should i use? #29  
Let us know how you make out when you show them the Regs.....

LOL, perhaps I should have a camera rolling to catch the severe beating and tasering I'll likely receive.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #30  
sorry,on vehicle except tire straps on top of tires but they are to be attached to chains or cables.I think better safe than sorry.I would feel pretty bad if the tractor fell off the trailer and hit a car full of kids because the straps I used chaffed on the trailer or tractor :(