Which Ford diesels were problem childs

/ Which Ford diesels were problem childs #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
I don't know where else this would fit but here goes.
A friend wants to buy a used Ford 3/4 ton truck to pull a 25' trailer and I remember that some of the older ones especially had some issues with the Navistar engine in them.
I am looking for anyone with info on reliability of the lets say 2003-2014 Ford diesel truck engines. Any costly recurring repairs that are an issue that anyone knows about.

/ Which Ford diesels were problem childs #2  
In before DP claims Fords from those years are bulletproof.

Might be worth a search on the 6.0 Ford Diesel. Quite a bit of information out there.

/ Which Ford diesels were problem childs
In before DP claims Fords from those years are bulletproof.

Might be worth a search on the 6.0 Ford Diesel. Quite a bit of information out there.
I know that when Ford teamed with Navistar to use their engines there were a lot of lawsuits filed and won by owners for those engines failing. I seem to recall some folks saying that injector failure and replacement is necessary on the 6.7L engines before 100K and in some cases before 50K mileage at a cost of over $2000 and not a warranty item.

/ Which Ford diesels were problem childs #4  
Depends who you ask.

I owned a 7.3 and wouldn't own anything newer.

My '13 Cummins gets pretty good MPG and has been problem free.

/ Which Ford diesels were problem childs #5  
Stay away from the 6.0.
As was already said. look for Ford 6.0 problems, enough reading to keep you busy.

/ Which Ford diesels were problem childs #6  
Stay away from the 6.0.
As was already said. look for Ford 6.0 problems, enough reading to keep you busy.
The 6.4 wasn't much better, less head gasket issues, but had most of the other issues.

The old 7.3 is great. I hear the new 6.7 is good, but the 6.0 & 6.4 in between sucked.

/ Which Ford diesels were problem childs #7  
The 6.4 wasn't much better, less head gasket issues, but had most of the other issues.

The old 7.3 is great. I hear the new 6.7 is good, but the 6.0 & 6.4 in between sucked.

Pretty much this. If you find a 6.4 that was deleted early in life and not abused, it would be ok. I have a 6.7 and love it. Truck runs great and pulls strong

Brett

/ Which Ford diesels were problem childs #8  
I would go for the 6.0. Yes they have a few issues. However all the issues are well known and once fixed...it's a **** good truck. All brands have their faults.

/ Which Ford diesels were problem childs #9  
An educated 6.0 owner willing to deal the the problems before catastrophic failures occur can find that the 6.0 "can be" just as reliable as the 7.3, and faster... But an uninformed owner, who ignores the issues and warning signs will end up with costly repair bills.

We have 2 of the 6.4's at work, both egr/dpf deleted, they run good. 3 of the 6.7's, one with over 110k miles with no issues.

Good luck with your search... Check out powerstroke.org for further info... Im a member there also, same screen name.

/ Which Ford diesels were problem childs #10  
I would go for the 6.0. Yes they have a few issues. However all the issues are well known and once fixed...it's a **** good truck. All brands have their faults.

Yes they all have bad years or specific engines but why on earth would one want to buy the problem child unless its dirt cheep?

I agree with others to stay away from the 6.0! Nothing but problems for us here and glad to see it go.