Which oil

/ Which oil #11  
Cspot, my tractor is a LS built unit (I believe the Mccormicks are also) with a 4 cylinder Mitsubshi.

I may just break down and change seasonally.

Thanks for the input
What does the machine call for(oil) do you know?

/ Which oil #12  
My tractor gets year around use, from dirt and mowing in the heat of summer to snow removal in zero weather. I like 10w-30 semi synthetic or 5w-40 full synthetic. Rotella in Silver or Blue jug, respectively. Mostly because the price sure is right at Wally World.

I put about 70-80 hours a year on it and I change all machines that have an oil pan, annually, each fall. Just keeps it simple for me.

/ Which oil
daman,
the manual calls for 10-30 in winter and 15-40 in summer.

/ Which oil #14  
I use and suggest a 5w-40 synthetic, Mobil 1 is my personal prefference. Philip.

/ Which oil #15  
daman,
the manual calls for 10-30 in winter and 15-40 in summer.
Ok then a 10w30HDEO like Shell offers at walmart or 5w40 would fit the bill,if it's a newer tractor i'd go 5w40 year around.

/ Which oil #16  
Ok then a 10w30HDEO like Shell offers at walmart or 5w40 would fit the bill,if it's a newer tractor i'd go 5w40 year around.

True and I agree but on the flip side most 5w-40 are Cj-4 rated and emissions on tractors (for this spec) are not needed.

I still wish they would made a 0W diesel oil...:)

/ Which oil #17  
True and I agree but on the flip side most 5w-40 are Cj-4 rated and emissions on tractors (for this spec) are not needed.

That's just the currant spec,,CJ is fully backward compatible you have no choice when new API's hit the market.

a synthetic 5/40 is great in cold weather,believe me it'll flow JUST fine. :thumbsup:

/ Which oil #18  
Even old time machines had recomendations for viscosity to be used, especially in engines, and it's good to look and see what was recommended. If it called for 30 grade in summer, most likely a 10W/30 would be fine year round. 15W/40's get a bit stiff in cold of winter. but with some gentle warm up time before hard use it should be ok too for older machines. Some common sense usually will guide you, not sure a 5 or 6 dollar a quart synthetic is needed for an old 8-N or similar, but then again it probably won't hurt it either. In my JD 630, built in 1959, I use Chevron Delo 400 in 15W/40. In an 8-N that I own, I use Chevron Supreme 20W/50, because it helps keep the oil pressure up in summer, and I don't use these machines in winter months when it's cold.

/ Which oil #19  
Exxon-Mobil does:

Mobil 1 Synthetic 0w40 European Car Formula ..... it's rated to Mercedes-Benz spec 229.5 (among others) and is a great oil (IMHO)

It was the factory fill on my Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinter van (5 cylinder common rail diesel) and it's all I've ever ran in it (except for some Mobil Truck and SUV, or Turbo Diesel Truck, for one oil change .....)

I run extended drain intervals according the built-in oil sensor - usually get between 14K and 18K miles per oil change ..... the vehicle has over 283,000 miles on it and runs great.

I've had oil analysis done (repeatedly) at Blackstone Labs and my wear numbers are always lower than is typical for this engine.

/ Which oil #20  
Greetings Pontiacman,
I certainly can help you here. I own a 2003 Pontiac Vibe, drive it daily & run AMSOIL 0W-30 Motor Oil & AMSOIL Oil Filter. I change both only once a year, And you can run these all year/all Temps. I purchased my Vibe used w/30,000 miles in 2006. It now has 70,000+ miles & I have never replaced a single part in the 4 years i've owned it. Runs/Performs like a little race car!

Last edited: