Which plow and tiller for a 9N?

/ Which plow and tiller for a 9N? #1  

gardenpro

I'm starting up a small oganic farm, meaning I'll actually be needing to turn over between 1-5 acres of soil. It's currently a weedy pasture anywhere up to 3' deep, so it needs to be turned thoroughly.
Is there a certain plow to look out for? I have had no luck by putting signs up around town and in a neighbouring town.
I'm also looking for a tiller- I saw one that was like 3 fused hooks that you drag. Is this what I'd need or is there something better. A 'rototiller' wold be ideal but I've nenver seen that done with these.
Any ideas what I should be looking out for? Thanks heaps, if you can help.

/ Which plow and tiller for a 9N? #2  
What is 3' deep? If the weeds are that tall, then removal either by mowing and/or chopping would be necessary. Either a one-bottom 16" moldboard plow or a 2-bottom 14" moldboard plow would work if your 9N is in good 'physical' condition.
Not sure that you want to till with that toothed 'tiller' after you plow, as you will till up the sod that was turned over with the plow. Look for a disc harrow that will work up the top of the plowed ground and get it ready to plant. Plowing in the fall and discing in the Spring seems the better plan.

Where are you located?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is there a certain plow to look out for? I have had no luck by putting signs up around town and in a neighbouring town. )</font> What are you posting on the signs around town if you don't know what you are looking for? Maybe going to farm auctions in the area will help, but somehow you need to determine what you need to do and what equipment to do it with. At least that will help you stay out of trouble just waisting your money.

/ Which plow and tiller for a 9N?
Hey there- thanks for your reply. The weeds are 1-3' high. That makes full sense to cut them first. I don't yet have a brush cutter so I was hoping to plow in either late fall once everything has died down, or in early spring.
The tractor seems to be in good condition though it is new to me. It runs strong.
I just have signs around saying "Plow wanted- needs to fit 3 pt hitch". I figured if anyone replied I could figure out better if it'd work by seeing it.
I'm located in southern BC. There are a few irregularly in the buy & sell papers but usually about 3-4 hours drive each way which isn't really possible right now.
I'll try to find some info on the plows you mentioned. I think there are pics of them at work in the N manual.

/ Which plow and tiller for a 9N? #4  
For some plow information that may help you with your search, here is a link put up a while back by PineRidge that is great.

plow info

I hope PineRidge is okay with posting it.

/ Which plow and tiller for a 9N? #5  
Forget a rototiller unless your 9n has a rare howard aux pre-tranny.

Forget the spring tooth harrow right now... you need a mower to remove the weeds.. then a good plow.. like the other poster stated.. an N can pull a 1-16 or a 2-14 ( 2-12) is fine as well.

I'd get a nice oldie.. like a dearborn 10-1 2 bottom plow... better than the KK units at tsc.

The disc harrowis a good choice too.. but disc's bind up in weeds.. cut/plow/disc.

Soundguy

Thanks guys for the help here. I can see how cutting the weeds would really help. I may have a line on a brush cutter which I'm sure'd work wonders on the pastures grass/weeds.
Can also imagine the disker getting tangled with weeds.

I have one disker, 4-5' wide- is it true I 'need' a second disker to tow beside this one? I think I was lucky to get the one.
I also have 3 'diamond' harrows but haven't yet figured out how to drag them. I gather they go side by side, I don't have a bar that they'd work with. Will have to make something up.
THANKS.

/ Which plow and tiller for a 9N? #7  
Those diamond thingys sound more like cultivators...

As fro disks.. a 4.5' dis is fine with your 9n if it pulls it ok.. which it should..

4' brush mower or 5' brush mower. is fine for your N. Lots of guys prefer the howse/KK 5' mowers as they are medium duty and not super heavy.. I.e... int he 500-600# range.. which is ok for an N.. some HD 5' cutters hit 1000#.. which is too heavy for the N to effetively use..

Soundguy

/ Which plow and tiller for a 9N? #8  
Diamond harrows.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
   / Which plow and tiller for a 9N? #9  
Hmm.. I've seen spiked tooth harrows / cultivators before.. but not like that one.... Almost looks like some medieval torcher device!

Soundguy

Yes that's my harrow! Well the spikes are at least half the length but that's it.
I spoke with someone at the feed store who may know of a couple, hopefully that pans out. My land is wet to say the least in spring, so I need to plow/harrow in the fall, for a mid spring planting. Lots of experimenting to do.
Thanks again for the ideas.