which sanding pads?

/ which sanding pads? #21  
Do people carve their initials in the outdoor park furniture you will be working on or is that something that only happens here in Tennessee?

/ which sanding pads?
Do people carve their initials in the outdoor park furniture you will be working on or is that something that only happens here in Tennessee?
They do have some carvings in them but we don't get overly exciting about it. Actually not all that many, but these tables have been out there well over 10 years, maybe 15 years.

/ which sanding pads? #23  
Since you just want to remove the loose and scuff, how about a 1/3 sheet orbital with scotchbrite instead of sandpaper? That should knock the loose stuff off and not have the divot issues of a circular grinder, and go fairly fast.

/ which sanding pads?
OK, we were out there tonight and took some pics of the stain coming off. AND the only wording carved in the two tables which is in the bottom pic. . About three years ago we followed the instructions of the people who built and stained them. They are into the log home business. They gave us some kind of wood clearing chemical and with its we then scrubbed the table with plastic scrub brushes to get dirt, loose stain and mold off them. Let them dry for a few weeks then re-coat them.
P1070395.jpg
P1070402.jpg
P1070400.jpg
P1070401.jpg

/ which sanding pads? #25  
My first choice for that would be to pressure wash it. My second choice would be an orbital sander. It's not so beat up that I'd use a belt sander that could leave a rough surface and possibly sand into the fasteners. The deep checkering in the wood isn't fixable by sanding.

/ which sanding pads?
We don't have power or water at these remote location's. After scrubbing them last time, we'll be sanding this time. With generator along.

/ which sanding pads? #27  
I have 2 belt sanders that I like a lot of removing a lot of material. But I don't like them for finish work, or making something look nice. Once I'm done with the belt sander, I use the orbital, or palm sander, or both with the palm sander being last for the best finish.

Looking at your pictures, I would not use a belt sander. I would bring the orbital with 40, 80 and 120 grit disks. I doubt that I would use anything but the 40.

I think the purple colored disks made by 3M, and sold in the Paint Department at Lowes, are the best disks out there. If you can't find them, Diablo is decent, and sold at Home Depot.

/ which sanding pads? #30  
Yeah, after seeing your pics I'd go with my 5" DeWalt 20v Max ROS, Cubitron discs, a back pac of batteries and my Unger Professional 36" Nifty Nabber Reacher Grabber Tool with a pack of big rubber bands.
I grab the assembled ROS with the tool, strap it with rubber bands and then I've a "ROS on a stick". This lets me use it like a floor buffer, no bending over.