Which to buy, 10' tandem or 8' tandem?

/ Which to buy, 10' tandem or 8' tandem? #31  
Halftrack, ok man, I have been racking my brain all night on how you would back a 14' tandem through a 12' gate. I have gotten into some tights spots before so I am not sayin that it can't be done. Can you describe how you would do that or send a drawing a picture or something!

Tim

A tandem has an X shape when viewed from overhead. It may be 14' wide at the widest points but is much narrower in the middle. You can work the X through the gate. I have never done it on a disc but I have got wide bull dozer blades through narrow gates many times this way.

/ Which to buy, 10' tandem or 8' tandem? #32  
Right on bdog. Hopefully the attached diagram will demonstrate the movements needed to accomplish squeezing the disc through the gate. Looks easy on paper but, typically involves a lot of shifting, clutch riding, lock to lock steering, brake riding and cursing. Now, imagine using a 1964 model Case 930 tractor with LESS than power steering, brakes that were shot and an over-center clutch. I remember once actually putting the tractor in reverse and backing through without stopping. Of course, no one was around to witness the feat and no one would believe me later. The limitation on what gate your disc will fit through is the distance from one side's transport wheel to the opposite side's disc gang. I my case the was probably around 10' so the 12 ' gate was doable. disc backing.jpg

/ Which to buy, 10' tandem or 8' tandem? #33  
I think if I came to a place that had less than a 10 foot gate I would just drive thru and take out what ever fencing I needed. Any idiot that puts up a less than 12 foot gate for tractor access needs to rebuild his gate anyway. After all it's not like it is a backyard residence pedestrian walk in for push lawnmowers etc. Farm gates should all be minimum of 16 feet wide to allow for up to 14 feet of equipment to pass. That would have to be a topic of discussion for every potential customer as to size of gates and / or access point. You should NOT have to size your equipment to the landowners gates, he should size his gates to a standard farm gate size or cut his fence and make a wire gap gate that you can go thru. Another fine point on gates is the location, if you put in a gate that is in a place where you immediately need to make a 90 degree turn after passing the gate, it needs to be extra wide to allow for trailing equipment to make the bend.

I totally agree Gary. But,,,, with that said,,,, we're talking about people that will pay someone to plant something that wildlife will eat so they can shoot them. Their idea of a gate is that turnstyle thing you go thru at the amusement park. :rolleyes: :D

/ Which to buy, 10' tandem or 8' tandem?
Awesome Halftrack, thanks for the sketch. I think even I could pull that one off:D

Tim

/ Which to buy, 10' tandem or 8' tandem? #35  
That is an impressive sketch.

/ Which to buy, 10' tandem or 8' tandem? #36  
Thanx for the compliments. I had to work on that a while and thats why it took so long to respond to tmc_31's request. Somewhere in the process, I lost the fact that the tractor was BLUE and had supersteer.

/ Which to buy, 10' tandem or 8' tandem?
Halftrack, mine is also blue, no supersteer though. Not sure a green one could do that:D

Tim