Who’s cutting hay?

/ Who’s cutting hay?
Idaho is stunning. So is Wyoming, Utah and Nevada. I would live out there if I had another chance. I’d own a hay farm and shoot guns off my porch. Raise my family under the blue skies. Pure Heaven out there boys.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #82  
Hay is baled and most is sold/gone already. 110 bucks a bale was apparently cheap, I told that to the guy who bought 50 bales and I think he couldn't wait to get me paid fearing I'd reconsider and raise the price. :) He buys from me every year so I don't mind giving him a break.
Only got 75 bales, better than last year but I really thought I'd get about 100. :confused:

Hay around here has been going fast as well, I sold all of the extra round bales and some small squares (didn't really intend to sell any but had extra) within a week of making them just by word of mouth and people stopping by to ask. I should get a second cutting and sell all of that too unless it rains a bunch as everybody is worried about getting enough hay this year.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #83  
Neighbor's square baler went down--literally, the wheel fell off. Time for me to come in for some thrilling heroics and save the day with our round baler.

KIMG0276.JPG

KIMG0277.JPG

KIMG0274.JPG

KIMG0280.JPG

We're getting wicked dry too. There's some rain forecasted for this week, but if doesn't come through second/third cut is going to be in serious trouble. I'm going to start supplementing my own cows on pasture with bales by the end of the week.

/ Who’s cutting hay?
Nice work! You should post more Eagle628!

Dry in VT huh? Nothing but rain here in PA/DE. Can’t string 3 dry days together since April.

1657625075576.jpeg

/ Who’s cutting hay?
Its so dark outside, the lights are on.
Bombs away…. another inch of rain!

/ Who’s cutting hay? #88  
Forgive me since I know very little about Idaho, but I'm assuming rainfall is minimal.
Most of the west coast dries up for the summer and it becomes almost a drought (some places it is very much a drought, ie CA)

/ Who’s cutting hay? #89  
I am seeing all hay being made. Does nobody make wrapped baled silage in US?
I have seen video's of bulk/bunker silage, but not wrapped baled silage.
I am in New Zealand, Wakato/king Country (3rd wettest part of NZ) and we make almost all silage as making hay is to iffy.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #90  
This is probably a silly question... Back when I was a kid I always saw sickle hay cutters that laid the grass down flat and spread out. Those guys didn't have to use a tedder. Now I'm seeing mowers that purposefully windrow the cut grass. Maybe it's a regional thing? Why would you want the grass in rows to have to spread back out then rake back up?