Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #251  
Is that up by mohawk?

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #253  
let me add, that volume of snow is not that BIG a deal. The counties, state and city governments are used to it. They hardy ever close schools here.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #254  
If the kids stay home, the parents probably give them a shovel!

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #255  
We get winter weather so infrequently that schools close down with a winter weather forecast before it even hits a lot of times. Hardly any equipment to clear roads, lots of hilly and narrow backroads that stay frozen for days after, and bus drivers that don't have experience driving in it makes for a bad combination for safety. That said I bet we average 2-3 snow days per year.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #256  
In Mass. everyone had a plow or access to one (in our case neighbor up the road).
Town would come through when they could.

It was more a community thing, like my neighbor and I do on our shared road.

In a larger community or city that does not work as well, so schools shut down out of caution after experiencing or seeing problems with accidents. This then gets blown out of proportion until schools close when a flurry is predicted.
Doom and gloom news on a slow news day.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #257  
We get winter weather so infrequently that schools close down with a winter weather forecast before it even hits a lot of times. Hardly any equipment to clear roads, lots of hilly and narrow backroads that stay frozen for days after, and bus drivers that don't have experience driving in it makes for a bad combination for safety. That said I bet we average 2-3 snow days per year.
The same thing is happening in SE Minnesota now. There was a time (I know this comments dates me) when Minnesota people were a hardy bunch who took pride in our ability to survive a tough winter. Some of us actually enjoyed the winter season with tubing, skiing, snowmobiling, winter bonfires and other activities that got us out of the house.

There was a time when a forecast for a few inches of snow was not an armegeddon event. We drove two wheel drive cars and pickups and somehow we got to school, church, and even some social events. Schools remained open at least until the snow event started. Schools would open but might close mid day if conditions warranted.

Today, a forecast of 2-4 inches of snow is the lead story on the 6:00pm news. The news and weather team puts the entire region into full panic mode. They position reporters out in the town to report on the what they see. Its kind of hilarious to watch them in action as they report starting to see a few snow flurries.

They warn all motorists to have survival gear which includes, food, water, medicine, extra clothes and this is all for the 5 mile commute to work. The schools all close just in case some snow arrives. Of course once the decision has been made to close the schools the "yutes" (youths) all start making plans for where they can drive on the snow day. The local mall's parking lot is full of cars on the "snow day".

Ladies and gentlemen, this is Minnesota. When I watch the news and see how the folks who seldom see ice and snow drive it probably makes sense to be a bit conservative with regard to travel. Ice and snow conditions can be dangerous for drivers regardless of were we live. I just don't think we have to bring our daily lives to a standstill when a few inches of snow is in the forecast. And to be honest, the weather forecasters seem to enjoy the excitement of a pending snow event.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #258  
Honestly, I am far from “excited” or even ready. My contracts are done, so I am committed to my customers, but man, I have to get my ass in gear and get the equipment ready.
My Challenger is my primary plowing tractor. It was vandalized back in the summer by kids jumping on the hood. Now I have no headlights and the hood/grille/headlights need replaced to the tune of $2,000 (if I do the labor). Otherwise snow/rain/junk gets in the radiator & fan area and no headlights.

Both snow plows still need to be gone through. I made strides with the Massey 7495 and the Western 10’ Heavyweight that goes on it. Hay mower is off, plow is on, but I need to hook up crossover relief valve. and the lines to the cylinders. Probably a few hours there.
Challenger needs to be brought back to my place and fitted with plow. Now that field mowing is almost wrapped up, my Snow-Ex Spreader needs to go on the 3pt hitch.

Tick tock….

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #259  
if you don't need to go far and fast, a tracked atv might have more use for you. Not cheaper than a sled but are not reliant on snow depth. View attachment 827636
If we could use tracked side by side on snowmobile trails I would have tracks, I live right by the trails.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #260  
If we could use tracked side by side on snowmobile trails I would have tracks, I live right by the trails.
The state of MI does have some regulations concerning that. Don't ask me what they are!