Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #641  
I wonder if changes in anti-freeze formulas are behind the confusing labels these days. As a kid in a garage decades ago, I vividly remember the anti-freeze mix ratio of 50-50 as the optimum protection and read the chart many, many times.

The only thing that could have changed between then and now is product formulation?
I don't know about that I was taught many years (60's) ago to go 60% antifreeze. One of the reasons I was taught to try for 60% was that before recovery bottles to many people would see a low radiator and if a mixed jug of antifreeze wasn't handy they would top of with water. It doesn't take long of that till your protection is nill. One of the jobs that never seemed to get done on nice days was the check of radiators for the winter, had to be a cold sour day when it was time to get out the gauge and the jugs of antifreeze and start checking and topping of every thing. It always seemed like what ever needed some drained and refilled was going to be the hardest starting engine.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #642  
Woke up this morning to 3-5 inches of light fluffy stuff covering the land, currently 25f.
Put my "Gonna be late" email out to work and set to plowing, 30 seconds of glow plugs and tractor fired right up.
I'm certainly getting better with the blade, much more grass and driveway stayed where it's supposed to be. No pictures sadly as I was in a bit of a hurry.

Shouldn't have bothered even coming in, if the roads were worse I would have driven the tractor to work. Still snowing too, boss says we'll evaluate at 10 am if we'll even stick it out.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #643  
I was always taught 50/50 to have the boiling point high too.

We finally got some snow again, 2".
So not really a plow day....

Schools already closed, guess they wanted an extra long weekend :cool:

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #644  
Just plowed a whopping 4” snowfall.
First time I have plowed snow in 730 days! and I had to learn a different tractor.
I was a bit rusty, but it worked out pretty well.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #646  
Winter has come to our little corner of SE TN. A bit of snow (1-6" depending on location), some ice and COLD temps (for us). This is the first time we have had snow in the valleys in 2 years. It has been nice to burn the stove all day for a week, a rarity here in the south. Cherry and maple burning all day long.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #647  
Only 2", but it is sleeting and the top is starting to form ice.
So time to move it out,
20240116_114640.jpg

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #649  
It's been cold here at night. Well below -40 F or C. At that temperature it doesn't matter much. We still have open water in a nearby river that the Canada geese are staying in. By morning some geese have enough ice on them that they can't fly. The coyotes are enjoying the easy pickings but I'm thinking the geese not so much.