Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #11  
Looking for one that will hold up to 3" or more privet, pines, etc.

I used to have a L3800 with a 5' Landpride that was good for 3" (and I took out some stuff that was even bigger with no problems).

I've been using my belly mower to reclaim some pasture areas at my MIL's farm, but some of the pine stands are getting out of hand after years of not mowing and I'm tired of ruining my blades because I mow my lawn with this thing (BX 2380).

So, I'm looking for a comparable strength bush hog, but a 4' one for my smaller tractor. Seems like all I can find is up to 2" stuff which is more medium duty. Maybe that's all the options there are?

Anyone have a heavy duty 4' experience they'd like to brag on?
3" is tough for a little tractor. If it were me I'd find another way. I have a clearing saw that will cut a 4-5" sapling. I have areas to clear similar to you and I take out the really big stuff with the saw before brush hogging it. I've pulled a few with a clevis and chain when the ground is moist. Sorry, I didn't really answer your question.

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated
IF they made one heavy enough to rate it at a 3" capacity, it would be too heavy for your tractor to lift.

I think landpride is a little optimistic with their 2" rating with only a 424lb cutter.

For comparison, woods BB48.30 is also a 2" rating but weighs 635lbs. Which is already probably more than the BX will lift

Everyone else that makes a ~400-450lb cutter rates them at 1" capacity
3 point spec is 680 lbs, but of course near the ground that would be higher. My loader will lift more than that a foot or so.

Your point is made though I'd be pushing it.

3" is tough for a little tractor. If it were me I'd find another way. I have a clearing saw that will cut a 4-5" sapling. I have areas to clear similar to you and I take out the really big stuff with the saw before brush hogging it. I've pulled a few with a clevis and chain when the ground is moist. Sorry, I didn't really answer your question.
It's okay, the consensus is with you. Do something else.

So, while I have mowed these same pines with my belly mower, I realize it's a bit different as once I'm over the bend, my blades kind of saw them as I slowly ride forward. As mentioned, I'm tired of dulling blades and have several other areas I need to get on top of before they get too much bigger.

So now I'm probably just going to pop as many as I can with my tooth bar. I've done a lot of this in the past with my old L3800 with bigger trees. Pines are usually pretty easy. This will just take longer. I would grub them, but I'm a one man operation here. adjusting the chains for each one and holding tension might be tough.

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #15  
3 point spec is 680 lbs, but of course near the ground that would be higher. My loader will lift more than that a foot or so.

Your point is made though I'd be pushing it.
3ph dont work like a loader. Near the ground dont matter. And 680 is best case scenerio with the toplink in the ideal position (yes toplink position...if it has multiple....will effect capacity). And that 680 is at 24". And I'd wager the load center of a 48" cutter is a little further back.

And even more so if you at some type of quick hitch because that is a bit much weight to wrestle around.

But my point was....If most of the 1" rated cutters are ~450lbs.....and the 2" cutters are north of 600lbs....I'd expect something with a 3" rated capacity to be up around 800#.

3ph dont work like a loader. Near the ground dont matter. And 680 is best case scenerio with the toplink in the ideal position (yes toplink position...if it has multiple....will effect capacity). And that 680 is at 24". And I'd wager the load center of a 48" cutter is a little further back.

And even more so if you at some type of quick hitch because that is a bit much weight to wrestle around.

But my point was....If most of the 1" rated cutters are ~450lbs.....and the 2" cutters are north of 600lbs....I'd expect something with a 3" rated capacity to be up around 800#.
I'm sure you're right on all accounts. I do have a quick hitch system also. My heaviest implement is my tiller at 434 lbs. It lifts like a champ, but it is much closer to the tractor than a rotary cutter would be overall.

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #17  
It's okay, the consensus is with you. Do something else.

So, while I have mowed these same pines with my belly mower, I realize it's a bit different as once I'm over the bend, my blades kind of saw them as I slowly ride forward. As mentioned, I'm tired of dulling blades and have several other areas I need to get on top of before they get too much bigger.

So now I'm probably just going to pop as many as I can with my tooth bar. I've done a lot of this in the past with my old L3800 with bigger trees. Pines are usually pretty easy. This will just take longer. I would grub them, but I'm a one man operation here. adjusting the chains for each one and holding tension might be tough.
I'm sure pines are easier to cut than what I have. I don't have any experience with them. Maybe a 3 inch pine would cut like a 2 inch invasive olive that I have? I won't cut a 3" olive with my brush cutter, a pine, maybe.

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #18  
Slip Clutch!
A slip clutch will help save your driveline, BUT unless you have it set very light it will still give your drive line a pretty good pounding, over time it will kill it.

Set the clutch light, and you will be rebuilding that clutch pretty regularly.

SR

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #19  
   / Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #20  
I have a 1548 on my CK4010 Kioti and I use it on very thick brush on my property. We have been working to reclaim overgrown areas and it has done the job great. It has done more than I expect it would and held up so far. I realize it is a little small but my property is very hilly and I need something small for what I am doing. I would not try a 4" with it but for sure it has handled plenty for me over its rated capacity.