Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn?

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #31  
as others have noted, Kubota has a few nice Zero Turns with the 60 inch decks
I have no personal experience with zero-turns yet, as I have been researching / shopping only.
I recently bought a used 2012 Cub Cadet zero-turn (gas), delivery is pending.

IF I could have afforded a new zero-turn, the HUSTLER (commercial ?) brand had my attention, especially with the flip up / tilt deck option.
View attachment 752920
n
My brother bought a Cub Cadet and after a few years yt was nothing but problems. The blades and deck are not near as robust as a good professional mower.

One of the features that Deines has had, even on my 1007 model, is a flip up deck. And it goes to complete vertical. Another advantage of a front deck mower.

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #32  
Same here, and I don't care that it cost more, it's worth it!

SR
Yep! Even if it’s $10/gallon! :rolleyes:
Diesels get better fuel economy to begin with and now the super/premium unleaded is approaching $7 per gallon.

Last edited:
   / Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #33  
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I have a John Deere 430 garden tractor with a 60" deck, and I am sick of it. It seems like I spend more time repairing it than using it, and John Deere is a real jerk about parts. My alternator is a great example. It looks like I need a new one, and they run about $500.

I don't need a garden tractor. I have a real tractor. I'm thinking I should dump the 430 on some sucker, I mean John Deere fan, and get a zero-turn.

So who makes a good diesel zero-turn that will last forever and give me 60" of width?

I can tell you some features I would like.

1. Not having to pay 5 times what parts are worth or dealing with a company that doesn't supply parts for older machines *cough cough John Deere*.

2. Oil changes that don't require removing an extremely stubborn 340-pound deck or dealing with a messy external oil-sucking machine.

3. Hydraulic cylinders, if any, that aren't welded shut like certain those made by *cough cough John Deere* certain companies.

4. Not needing 3 sizes of wrench to do simple things like adjusting a fan belt.

5. Not having to take the entire machine apart to change a fan belt.

6. A muffler that doesn't cost $250.

7. A total weight somewhere under 1500 pounds, unlike a certain garden tractor I have.

8. Blades that will cut bahia instead of just knocking it over so it can come back up after I pass.

9. Mulching that actually works. On live oak and water oak leaves. Not just on paper-thin leaves that blow away in a slight breeze.

10. Doesn't have the words "John" or "Deere" anywhere on it, nor any green paint.

If your blood runs green, don't bother telling me off. There is no point in making me suffer, because this tractor and the company that made it punish me more than you could every day.
I feel your pain... really. It is difficult, as with ANY product to know. Of course you can pay "extra" and expect a better machine / parts / long lasting, but we all know this is not guaranteed.
I cannot speak for Diesel ZTR's. Just bought a Hustler "48" Fastrak gasser. The single reason was availability of a local dealer / parts / repairs if needed.
For #8 ( I have lots of bahia grass, hate the stuff in the yard). A regular straight blade has a difficult time with it. Have had good luck with Gator Blades. Seems the saw tooth ends really chop the stems good. It's not 100% single pass, but *way* better than my straight blades.

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #34  
I have a Grasshopper 321D 2001 model with 1095 hrs and a Grasshopper 428D 2008 model with 708 hrs.

Am currently only using the 321D which I use about 50 hrs a year and chg oil & filter yearly. A hydraulic hose burst at 640 hrs so had all 4 hoses replaced and hydro fluid & filter changed. Sometimes it begins to sputter so I replace the first fuel filter and that fixes it (has 2 fuel filters) first filter an in-line approx $3 at WalMart. The mule drive idler spring has broken a couple of times. It has had some rough use occasionally. I do not run it full throttle when mowing my approx 4 acre yard. I bought the machine new in 2000 which was first year for a Grasshopper mid mount.

I bought the 428D used in 2010 with 343 hrs on it. Have replaced the lower mower spindle bearings and the fuel solenoid shutoff. It seemed to overheat/run hot so talked to factory and they said the radiator was just large enough to handle that engine and they had a kit with a belt and pulley to increase the fan RPMs, so they knew/admitted they had a problem. So for approx $120 I installed it and seems to have corrected over heating but have not run it in very hot weather to fully test. I have not used this machine since 2017 as I sold property that was located 70 miles away.

The 428D runs a little faster and uses more fuel but as for cutting heavy grass I don't see any advantage over the 321D and both have 60 inch decks. I think the smallest size now available is 25 hp which would be adequate for me. Both machines are mid mounts and have 3 cylinder Kubota diesel engines. They do not have suspension systems, so you only mow as fast as you are comfortable bouncing up and down. Caution, only use the Grasshopper hydro fluid as a dealer told me a customer used a substitute and the hydro motors or pumps had to be replaced. Yes the belts need replacement occasionally.

My reasons for a diesel purchase 22 yrs ago was to use same fuel as my tractor and for reliability without ignition and carburetor problems. I would likely buy another Grasshopper if needed but if I can get 10 more yrs out of the 321D I will be 90 then. Hope this info helps.

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #35  
I have a diesel Grasshopper ZT that is mostly trouble free. My biggest complaint is that the hydraulic filter vibrates loose and starts to drip. If I tighten it every 20 or so hours I have no problems. It's 20 years old and still runs like a top. Has a Kubota engine.

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #36  
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I have a John Deere 430 garden tractor with a 60" deck, and I am sick of it. It seems like I spend more time repairing it than using it, and John Deere is a real jerk about parts. My alternator is a great example. It looks like I need a new one, and they run about $500.

I don't need a garden tractor. I have a real tractor. I'm thinking I should dump the 430 on some sucker, I mean John Deere fan, and get a zero-turn.

So who makes a good diesel zero-turn that will last forever and give me 60" of width?

1. Not having to pay 5 times what parts are worth or dealing with a company that doesn't supply parts for older machines *cough cough John Deere*.

2. Oil changes that don't require removing an extremely stubborn 340-pound deck or dealing with a messy external oil-sucking machine.

3. Hydraulic cylinders, if any, that aren't welded shut like certain those made by *cough cough John Deere* certain companies.

7. A total weight somewhere under 1500 pounds, unlike a certain garden tractor I have.

8. Blades that will cut bahia instead of just knocking it over so it can come back up after I pass.

9. Mulching that actually works. On live oak and water oak leaves. Not just on paper-thin leaves that blow away in a slight breeze.

10. Doesn't have the words "John" or "Deere" anywhere on it, nor any green paint.

If your blood runs green, don't bother telling me off. There is no point in making me suffer, because this tractor and the company that made it punish me more than you could every day.
I have a zero turn 60" Kubota diesel that's about 8 years old that's been trouble free.

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #37  
I bought a Kubota diesel z turn, got over 80 hrs on it with no issues. If you go with Kubota get the comfort seat, worth the cost .

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #38  
I have a Bad Boy Rogue zero-turn. Commercial quality unit, though powered by gas engine vs. diesel. Bad Boy does make the Renegage with a diesel though. My Rogue is a great unit overall. If you want a solid commercial quality unit check them out.

I'm not 100% thrilled with the cut quality, but I wasn't thrilled with my Deere x758's cut quality either, which is one of the reasons I got the zero-turn. I'm beginning to realize though that it is just the fact I mow 7 acres and don't like to go slow that is really impacting cut quality. That and the type of grass/weeds in my lawn - it's a rural yard that isn't pristine, uniform grass. If I slow down both the Rogue and the x758 cut beautifully. At least with the zero-turn my mowing time is about an hour less than with the x758.

Rob

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #39  

You've obviously not used a Kubota.They are great, blades are cheap and they are very reliable. Nothing lasts forever though.

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #40  
I had a JD 425 all wheel steer. I hated that thing. Way too many moving parts (and each too expensive) for mowing grass and the all wheel steer dug ruts in around my trees. The deck was too shallow to cut nicely. It bogged down terribly in tall grass.

I switched to Country Clipper air cooled ZTR. No it will not last as long, but I can buy about 4 of them for the same price and have a lot less work in mainentance. I don't feel as bad about abusing it either (I rolled the first one twice and this one once). I really like the joystick control as well.

Yes, keeping gasoline is a pain in the butt.