Who makes a work truck with creature comforts?

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #141  
I agree with you. WA state is probably more tax happy than TN. Sales tax on value not price when it comes to vehicles. Some go to to purchase big ticket items because there is no sales tax. Doesn't work for vehicles... you can't license them without paying the tax.

You can’t here either, but they tax on the price you paid or claim to have paid.

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #142  
You can’t here either, but they tax on the price you paid or claim to have paid.
Oops last post edited... meant to some folks go to Oregon because no sales tax.

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts?
Locally there痴 no tax on a gifted vehicle. Is there no such thing there? That actually looks like a pretty clean truck.

I've given and received vehicles numerous times and every time I've gone in with $0 on the sale price they charge me tax on the presumptive value, which has been more than blue book. So I started putting a believable sale price of just below blue book, and that's been my go-to answer for these situations.

I googled for a link to show you that we don't have this novel "gifted vehicle" concept here, and what I found is that we DO. There's a special form you must fill out, and provide proof that it was given to you by a blood family member. I swear, the first time I ever went in with that $0 sale price, the lady asked me if it was a gift, I said yes, and she proceeded to charge me presumptive tax. Of course she wouldn't volunteer the information about the extra form would she? I've been doing this wrong my whole life. Thank you for the inspiration to Google this.

The truck does look clean. It didn't always. I got it first in 2008 with only 12k miles on it. I traded a motorcycle for it. The guy I got it from said it sat in a field by his house for years and when he asked the farmer about it, he was told that it was the man's son's truck, he didn't take care of it, and the man took it away and told him he could have it back when he learned to take care of things. Apparently he never did. So the man sold it to him for next to nothing. All he did was replace gaskets and hoses and it ran just fine. It was blue, and the pain was faded and peeling from sitting in that field for over a decade.

I drove it for a while as a blue truck, then my oldest younger sister borrowed & crashed it. I made her help me repair the damage. She and I went to the junk yard, pulled the front end off a purple '88 chevy, and put it on. I was impressed that she actually saw the punishment through and didn't try to finnagle her way out of it, so I gave her the truck as an 18th birthday present once we got it put back together.
45147_431092906191_1354418_n.jpg
45147_431092911191_5543697_n.jpg
41178_1385783568234_1950613_n.jpg
41178_1385783608235_8302506_n.jpg
45147_431092926191_5356880_n.jpg
41235_432121171191_3184575_n.jpg
41235_432121176191_5311635_n.jpg

Fast forward a year or two, she never checked fluids, burned up the transmission, had me tow it off the highway for her and keep it. She decided she was ready to ruin something more valuable, and bought a nice Volvo (later crashed)

My mom needed a truck so I gave her the two-tone wonder. Later I started my first business and I needed a service truck so she gave it back. I put that camper on it (it was yellow) and took it to Maaco to get sprayed white. People talk bad about maaco but that pain job has stood the test of time and still looks great even up close.

Then I sold it to my youngest younger sister's husband (He did some work for me and I gave the truck as payment) and I think the rest of the story has already been covered.

After work today I took the truck off the trailer and checked it out. Nothing wrong with the battery or alternator. Runs fine. The mechanic she took it to deserves a high-five to the face. PS pump is making a bit of a fuss and will need to be replaced before it craters and distributes nasties throughout the system, but that's all I see.

After talking with her a bit, getting a better explanation of the breakdown, I know what it was. A gremlin I thought I had vanquished years ago. An intermittent bad ground that screws with all the dash gauges and makes you lose all acceleration. Should be a quick and easy fix since I've already got its number.

I feel bad keeping it now that I know. But, I told her, and she still doesn't want it, so I guess that's that. It's in better condition now then when I sold it (they got the A/C "fixed" and it sorta blows not-as-hot as it used to). Only 108k miles, they barely drove it.

20200925_181825.jpg

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #145  
I was going to say that the land is a good investment and you will have it long after the vehicle is gone.
Maybe not though, considering your history with this truck.

I was going to say that the land is a good investment and you will have it long after the vehicle is gone.

:laughing:
True story!

No creature comforts but it with any luck it do some work. If it's still alive and kicking in 18 months, it will probably end up being my daughter's first vehicle. If it boomerangs again after that I'll have to contact the guiness book of world records and see if there's an entry for this.

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #147  

I was thinking the same thing! I wonder how stable that land will be in comparison.

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #148  
I was thinking the same thing! I wonder how stable that land will be in comparison.
I purchased 10 acres across the street 5 years ago for 65,000. I can sell it now for $240,000. A lot just like it about 1 mile from me just sold for that. But i dont want to sell it.

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #149  
I purchased 10 acres across the street 5 years ago for 65,000. I can sell it now for $240,000. A lot just like it about 1 mile from me just sold for that. But i dont want to sell it.

Around here land prices haven't really improved since they got walloped in 2008-2012. We bought our neighbor's 4-acre property in 2017 for barely more than they paid in 2011. I think they about broke even when you consider property taxes that they paid for 6 years. I haven't seen the value change at all since we bought. I did move the property line, to add 0.3 acre to our property and provide privacy if we decide to sell that other property in the future. I expect I will be able to benefit from that in the future, since the 0.3 acre is a lot more valuable to me than it subtracts from the other property's value. Ideally I'd like to pass that land to my daughter and have her build there when she grows up and has a family, but at a minimum it will probably hold the cash value we paid and hopefully start to appreciate at some point.

But back to trucks, I think I paid $38K for my old truck in 2014, but out of pocket $28K because we traded an old unused car in. Got $23K on trade for that truck this summer. Also traded in my wife's car, don't remember the in/out price on that but surprisingly good, like only $5K loss. We had gotten a good deal on that when new, and used car prices were strong this summer due to Covid. So in the end, I traded those two vehicles and only had to come up with $1200 to cover a new $70K truck (paid way more in taxes since Virginia sales tax is based on the cost of the new vehicle and you don't get any credit for sales tax on the trades). In the big picture you could do the math on depreciation for the multiple vehicles over the years (and what the new truck lost the minute it drove off the lot) and it would look like a colossal waste of money. But this was the closest I have come to feeling "even swap" when changing vehicles and just looking at what capability I got out of the trades and what I get from the new deal. In retrospect my old truck gave a lot in 6 years and I have no complaints.

I have yet to make significant money on land. Maybe the next generation will.

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #150  
Hmm, depends on location, location,location. As the old adage goes. I purchased my original 20 treed acres for $45,000 back in 1993. Just raw land, but included water and power to edge of property. I built my house for $ 105,000, added 1 barn for $15,000 a shop for $10,000 all in 1996, added a carriage barn for $26,000 and about $10,000 in other work around 1999. Remodeled and completed basement, new cabinets and appliances in house in early 2000’s at nearly $40,000. So i have some $260k into the place...
Let's say 300k with all misc junk one does, i could get nearly a million for it in Todays market. Had a newer house on 20 acres near me sell for 1.6 million A few weeks ago, after being on market for 2 days. What i hate is what might happen to my property tax base.