Who rides motorcycles?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,601  
Last time I was out, saw a bear cub, running along an embankment. Silly thing made a sharp, right, towards me. I speed up enough to pass it before it crossed my rear tire, by inches. Would have hated to hit the little fellow. Cars, I can generally figure out what they will do. Critters, not so much. Don't ride at night anymore due to the deer. :)
Twice I have come so close to hitting a deer that their ass went under my handlebar and I could hear their hooves on the pavement. Dodged the most dangerous animal in the country.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,602  
I've ridden once this year so far. I've always got other work to do... But the bike has been paid for, for 9 years, so I'm not going to sell it. Someday the time and passion will return.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,603  
Went for a ride for the first time in ages last Wednesday. Made it about 300m and low sided, fracturing 3 ribs.

Will have to wait a bit before going on a longer ride!

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,604  
Me. A deer I met one day.

FJR_Deer_1.jpg

FJR_Deer_2.jpg

FJR_Deer_3.jpg

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,605  
Several years ago, I had a deer jump over a guard rail and into my bike while I was riding. Had no chance to take any evasive action. The deer’s head hit the LH saddlebag and broke the bag at the mounts, bent one of the bolts retaining the bag mount on the frame. License plate was bent up. Somehow I kept it up right. Deer was DOA…..broken neck.

I still pucker when I see a deer on the bike

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,606  
I saw my deer from a long ways off thinking, “no way it will come near” but it did. In the pics posted above ABS was fully engaged.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,607  
I am an AVID Motorcyclist. Been riding since I was 16. I am an MSF Rider Coach, and a track day coach. Used to club race (WERA) for years, and most always, I owned sport bikes. I'm now into the Adventure Riding genre and I am a daily motorcycle commuter. I ride a 2019 BMW R1250 GS Adventure, and my wife rides a 2019 BMW F750 GS. When I was stationed in Florida, I used to post on ADV Rider a lot.

Here is a thread I started (DMack_762) on "Thoughts from a daily motorcycle commuter". It's good reading for those of you who commute.

My wife and I are not cruisers, we are not fair weather riders, and we don't bar hop. I don't drink when I am on two wheels, that's just a hard rule for me. I wear full gear, all the time. I've been down, on the race track, and picked my bike up to finish the race. I don't judge other riders for their choice of gear, or lack thereof. I wave at all riders, and will talk motorcycles all day long.

I love all bikes, and there are 30 that I would own if I had unlimited funds and room to store them. But, there's not a single bike I would trade my GSA for. It really does everything I ask of it, very well.

Cheers all.

Ride safe. Ride often.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,609  
I've ridden once this year so far. I've always got other work to do... But the bike has been paid for, for 9 years, so I'm not going to sell it. Someday the time and passion will return.
You have to make time and ride....

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,610  
Darth, I liked your article. I believe that the best car drivers are also motorcycle riders. I was a daily all weather rider for 10 years. Overtime, you develop an encyclopedia in your head of situational awareness and predictive abilities. I can look at a driver, across from an intersection, and I know what they are going to do, just looking at their body language. And I rarely trust their blinkers. I look at their front wheels. The body gear thing does get a bit old after a while. And its the single most important reason why I started just using the car. Now that I'm getting back in to it, I do have to force my self to gear up, even if its just a short ride. :)