Who rides motorcycles?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,281  
Here’s what I rode to school in the 60’s-
IMG_5471.jpg
And here is what I got hit by an SUV on almost 2 years ago-
IMG_1034.jpg
I figured that an old Man on an old motorcycle would be safe. Go figure.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,282  
That's a handsome XLH there. '73 or '74 is it? (RH shift = pre-'75.)

btw, I did a 'cafe job' on my '62 305 Super Hawk with rear controls and the 'drag'-style bars. I was doing my best to catch up with a friend's chopped Bonnie and got a speed wobble at ~55 mph. After diving over the bars when she went down and riding home afterward I pretty much got over the Hondas and bot the '75 Yamaha XS-650 B twin.

That got sold in hard times, but I bought another one for $300 that clattered, and valve lash wasn't the answer. I shrugged and promised 'as is' was good enough for me. A quick readjustment of the cam chain got rid of the noise and synching the carbs was all it took to have 'er running like new. I should broom a couple H-Ds and ride that one, but have my eye on the Royal Enfied 500 singles at Rheinbold's over in Reese.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,283  
74. It was a barn find that hadn’t run in 20 years. It was pretty much perfect when it was destroyed. I got a few months in the hospital out of it.

I had a 650 Yamaha twin that was a great bike after I welded in some 4130 tubing to stiffen the steering head and converted the swing arm to needle bearings. Before that it would get a speed wobble that would open your eyes real wide. I think it was probably an early to mid 70’s model.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,284  
I added a 'lowering kit' to my 650, two pieces that set the lower shock mounts back an inch or so. I can't get it up on the center stand since, and on the side-stand it wants to fall over.

I might be getting a tad more trail to stabilize the front wheel with the slight tilt, but confess to not riding much over 70 mph to compare either way.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,285  
Thanks Kyle, it's really a fun modern classic. I decided to sell it this Summer as I was trying to thin the herd and it somewhat duplicated another motorcycle I had. After listing it for sale I took it out for a nice ride then promptly changed my mind and deleted the ad.

You would probably like a Ducati 1100 hypermotard. My friend has one, and I love it.

Got Victor special? ;)

A neighbor I never rode dirt with raced a Maico in the early '70s. He siliconed the bejeebers out of nuts & bolts to keep them from vibrating loose before I'd ever heard of the stuff.

Matt stopped by the other day and we got around to comparing whose Suzi TM-400 had a narrower powerband and handled worse. Suspension travel was the common 6" front and 4" rear. We both had earlier orange vs yellow models, so no contest there. :laughing:

btw, I had re-padded my seat, lengthened front damper rods 1", added a 2 1/2 lb flywheel (shoulda used the 4 lb option) replaced the rear shocks with Cerianis borrowed from one of the Honda CLs. I was ready for trails with a new tank (silver poly, shaped like a Maico's) and new hex grips. Grip glue didn't hold (my bad) and when doing a wheelie the right one slipped off.

Front wheel was turned just enough when the throttle shut down. The bike dropped onto two wheels and I got tossed. The bike flipped and wrapped itself around a light pole. Frame and swingarm were bent to heqq, clutch cover shattered and fingers stripped from the basket. Had I hit the pole too, I might never have been able to ride again.

I would point out the oil stain on the wooden pole to folks for nearly a decade before it faded. It was about waist high to knee high.

Wow, close call. Wrapping one's body around a pole at high speed doesn't usually end well. Glad you're still with us.

Putting on handlebar grips is a big liability. They usually need to dry for a day, if you use a spray on adhesive.

Son is loving his GT80.

Anybody watch Kaplan's youtube videos? He's done so many, most bikes made since the '70's have been covered....and many older.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,287  
I had a nice ride yesterday. There was a clear, sunny sky and the temperature got close to 60 here yesterday. I have a BMW sport-tourer, so it has great wind protection and a heated seat and bars, but I didn't use the heat. It was just a fun ride on mostly dry roads in the sunshine. We're not going to see 40 today, according to the forecast, so I guess the bikes will stay in the barn.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,289  
In October I went to visit my oldest in Detroit. Going up I stopped in PA, going down I had to do it in a day. Just tooting my horn, the bike and myself combined age is 103 years :)

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 66
   / Who rides motorcycles? #1,290  
I rode my Goldwing Interstate from Mentor, Oh to San Antonio three times over a one year period. All three trips were non-stop. Well, other than to relieve, gas or eat. My best time was 23 hours. That was back when the speed limits were 55. It's almost a 1500 mile trip. :eek: I also made the same trip numerous times in a car non-stop.

The things dads do for their daughters. But it was worth it. I eventually got custody. The rest is history.

On the leisurely side, I often made the trip to Niagara Falls and back in the same day. (When I lived in Mentor) But that was only about 400 miles. :rolleyes: