Who Uses CB Radios?

/ Who Uses CB Radios? #71  
K0UA (which looks a whole lot like a FCC station ID) is right. Antenna theory is extremely complex and antenna manufacturers use the complexity along with their version of snake oil and marketing to confuse the consumer and sell their products. They use terms like dBi to make you think you are getting something you are not. Throw in some misnomers like 'antenna tuners' which do nothing to tune your antenna, rather they make your non resonant antenna acceptable to your radio (and turn your signal into heat) and you have a recipe for a radio that doesn't radiate much power. The manufacturers sometimes hide the fact that a vertical antenna has 2 parts, the vertical element they sell and the other side of the vertical element which is just as important, the ground plane, which is generally your vehicle. As noted above, whenever you shorten an antenna, you are compromising something, usually radiated power and bandwidth.

K0UA is my actual amateur radio callsign. Note the second character is a zero not an "oh"

/ Who Uses CB Radios? #72  
I've had a CB in almost every vehicle I've owned since the early 70s when I first got a driver's license. (telling my age now) My old truck currently has a Uniden PC68XL CB as well as my 2m/440 ham radio since I was licensed in 95 in it. I don't travel as much as I used to, so it does not get used as much as it did. Mostly to listen, but on multi-vehicle trips I have a couple of mobile CBs that I can loan out to provide cheap communications between vehicles too, but the availability of cell phones have pretty much killed that need out. However when disaster strikes (natural or man-made), radios transmissions may be the only communications available and then only from battery power (vehicles or generators).
Mobile transeivers.jpg

/ Who Uses CB Radios?
I likedthose MFJ (Mighty Find Junk) Antenna Resonance thingamigigies. You connect it to an antenna and it will tell you at what frequency it resonates.

/ Who Uses CB Radios? #74  
   / Who Uses CB Radios? #75  
Still have a CB in my pick up....used on logging roads mostly...not so much on the highway now...way to much garbage.

/ Who Uses CB Radios? #76  
k0ua; Thanks for the info.

Your very welcome. If I can help even one person have a bit more understanding about the world around them and the way things work, I consider myself a success for the day at having helped said person.

Lord knows I am no expert of antenna theory even though I have been a student of it for over 50 years. It is that complex.

/ Who Uses CB Radios? #77  
I have some of those around somewhere, and the five pound springs. There wouldn't be anything sturdy enough on my HD Sierra to bolt it to! I guess, the trailer hitch, maybe!

top of the headache rack that protects your back window is a fine place to mount.. put your yellow flashing lights up there too.43433900_718325951856542_4960222958095171584_n.jpg

/ Who Uses CB Radios? #78  
Traffic jams: Did you know that real time traffic is available on Google maps? And what is really impressive is the way they use the ping function that all cell phones use.

If google detects that a lot of cell phones on the highway are not moving (pinging the same tower over and over), or going slowly from one cell tower to the next, they show that on their maps as a trouble area.

So Joe Blow driver never realizes he is feeding Google maps with real time info. I think that is an amazing use of the cell phone system!

/ Who Uses CB Radios? #79  
Traffic jams: Did you know that real time traffic is available on Google maps? And what is really impressive is the way they use the ping function that all cell phones use.

If google detects that a lot of cell phones on the highway are not moving (pinging the same tower over and over), or going slowly from one cell tower to the next, they show that on their maps as a trouble area.

So Joe Blow driver never realizes he is feeding Google maps with real time info. I think that is an amazing use of the cell phone system!

As they say, you learn something new every day...