Who want to chat about plasma cutters?

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #31  
I have an older hypertherm 350 that works real well. It was rated for 3/8 I think but cuts 1/2 .

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #32  
Check out primeweld they are from New Jersey, I have one of there welders great machine well built and very reasonable on price and their when you call. I have two plasma cutter one on my cnc and the other on a cart haven't used my A/O tanks except for the rosebud for heating if I get another plasma cutter it will be a prime weld enjoy

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #33  
I hava a TD, don't recall the model, rated for 3/4" but runs through 5/8" like butter. I bought it refurbished from a friend's welding business for a grand like new. I love that thing. I have the drag tip setup that is worth it's weight.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #34  
I have had the Lotos since 2017. Does everything I need for farm stuff. I'm not a fabricator. Got the 40 piece nozzle and cap kit for it, haven't used them all yet.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #35  
I could never bring myself to spring big bucks for one, so I got a "Colossal Tech Cut 50-D" on EBay some years back for under $200. Seems to work OK and consumables are readily available.

Most of the cuts I make are 1/4 or thinner and need a lot of cleanup, even with a template/guide. But I think it is mostly an operator problem as some cuts are very clean.

Seems to help to use metal free of rust and oil. Suspect I'd do better if I cleaned the mill scale off as well before cutting.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters?
Yeh, I'm hearing real good things about the Lotus! I need to keep this budget minded, I won't be using it enough to justify a high expense. The Lotus LTP5000D is pretty much at the top end of my budget (<$400). Also I watched a review by Mike Festiva for the Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter-BTC500DP, seems pretty nice for the price. It's got the pilot arc like the Lotus.

Guys, what features are a must, you think?

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #37  
Yeh, I'm hearing real good things about the Lotus! I need to keep this budget minded, I won't be using it enough to justify a high expense. The Lotus LTP5000D is pretty much at the top end of my budget (<$400). Also I watched a review by Mike Festiva for the Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter-BTC500DP, seems pretty nice for the price. It's got the pilot arc like the Lotus.

Hero cut 35 is likely in your budget BrandX over on welding web tests out a lot of the less expensive plasma's.

Check out some posts on this thread, post#77 shows a cut made with a little 35 amp unit. (Irontron)
The hero cut is an arcsonic unit which is who builds the LTPDC2000d
looks like amazon has it for $155,
997 ratings with a 4.5 average review, not bad.

Irontron is even less money. But can't find it listed for sale anymore

Last edited:
   / Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #38  

Although mine is red, it is the same model. I wouldn't get one that didn't have pilot arc. I'm not that good! www.uwelding.com is their website. Supposed to do up to 5/8", I know it will do up 1/2" from using mine. Never had to do heavier.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #39  
Nice thing about the micro processor controlled Hypertherm's is they decide the cut amperage by sensing the thickness of the metal, you can maually adjust but I never do. I let my machine decide.
What model HT are you using that can sense material thickness?

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters?
Although mine is red, it is the same model. I wouldn't get one that didn't have pilot arc. I'm not that good! www.uwelding.com is their website. Supposed to do up to 5/8", I know it will do up 1/2" from using mine. Never had to do heavier.
Ok, that's good to know about the pilot arc, thanks! I'm leaning toward the Lotus, definitely.