Whole house generator

/ Whole house generator #1  

bill9068

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5510, Kubota BX25D, Bobcat S130, Bobcat 742.
Anyone recently install a generac whole house generator. Wondering if price differs in different places. Here in southern Indiana cost about $8500 to install a 17kw.

/ Whole house generator #3  
Depends on how hard the install was. GENERAC has just increased their prices about $500 on generators, which is a joke since it takes 8 months to get one from factory.

i used to install 22kw units for between 8-10 grand depending on difficulty. There’s a lot that goes into a proper installation, including lots of driving time where I live.

the 22 with switch is around 5100 plus tax or so. I’m not selling them anymore, so this is a rough cost.

/ Whole house generator #5  
As @grsthegreat says, the devil is in the details. How close are you to the installer, where is the fuel source, what does your electrical service consist of, and oh yeah, how much power do you want?

All the best,

Peter

/ Whole house generator #6  
Bought a 22KW Generac brand new in a crate from someone CL for $4500 and installed it with my electrician. 2 smart switches and a lot of wiring. Works great.
Downside is its NG. NG was dirt cheap, but now its going up in price....
Maybe Ill put some solar panels across the front of my house to show my neighbors I'm woke?

Last edited:
   / Whole house generator
A buddy of mine helped install one at my log home using propane. It was easy and as I recall cost about $3500 for the unit and about $500 install. 18kw about 12 years ago. Priced one for my home in town and that was the $8500. My generator sat just 5 yards from my propane tank and 2 yards from the junction box hookup for the transfer switch.

/ Whole house generator #9  
I suspect they are all about the same price but we recently installed a 20KW Kohler generator for $8,500. Even got too test it when everyone else in the area had no power after a nasty lightning storm a few weeks ago. Worked great with just a 10 second outage before it started and we had power. Ran for about an hour and 30 minutes before electric company had power back on. Propane supplied by our 250 gallon tank. Our electrician said he used to sell and install Generac but had trouble with the company honoring the warranty so switched to Kohler and not even had to try to get a warranty claim yet and that's after 2 years worth of installs. I have no idea just how many that is though but sounded good to me. Wish I had done this a year sooner before we got hit by a tornado and had no power for 2 days.

/ Whole house generator #10  
I have had the same Kohler unit for 2 years and it has about 80 hours run time and has been flawless. Natural gas, not propane. Unfortunately I paid more .