Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #21  
I'll be watching this thread too. I was just told last week that I'll need the surgery "sometime in the future - new glasses won't help".

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #22  
I'm 56, and my right eye has developed a pretty bad cataract, requiring surgery. I had an eye exam at two different places and they both agree on the need for cataract surgery, as do I, because my vision in my right eye has gotten real crappy.

Key-Whitman Eye Center (big eye center in/near Dallas) did Lasik on my left eye 10 years ago and I trust them the most and will have them do the surgery. The Lasik 10 years ago gave me mono vision, left corrected for distance via Lasik, right eye was left alone and was suitable for reading. The mono vision worked ok, but depth perception was a slight problem and you find yourself having to align your head certain ways for things like reading/welding so the proper eye is aligned with the task.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going with, and they've recommended, a Symfony multifocal IOL. They said it should give me great distance and intermediate, with useable near vision for everyday tasks of reading a cell phone, dashboard etc. Actual reading of a book or fine print, I'd probably prefer readers. I'm fine with this, I already use off-the-rack readers for this and at my age, I figure readers are pretty much the norm. The plan right now is to just fix the right eye, but the left would need done some year down the road.

The only real concerns I have is with night vision. The Symfony lens is supposed to minimize most halo's, glare, starburst etc, that a multi focal can have, but doesn't truly eliminate it. Doing the surgery via laser is also supposed to minimize the risk of night issues when using multi focal lenses. I went down the Google-fu rabbit hole during my research and like most internet research, I find reviews all over the place. Like most things, you're going to hear mainly from the folks that aren't happy. So I'm checking with the folks I trust the most on real world feed-back, TBN'ers.

I have a meeting with a Key- Whitman counselor on Jan. 9th to finalize everything and then schedule the procedure. Most insurance will pay for standard Mono focal lenses installed via conventional surgery. Upgrading to a multi-focal and laser assisted surgery would cost more out of my pocket. I'm fine with this, eyesight is a big thing and I want the best possible outcome for the remainder of my life.

What's the feedback/outcome/recommendations with some of the folks here?

I haven't had the time to read the other replies, but I'm also 56 and I just had this done a couple of months ago, with those same lenses.

My experience has been excellent. Previous to having mild cataracts, I had to use readers for anything closer than arm's length and prescription glasses for any decent distance vision. I didn't want to wear glasses with sports and motorcycling, but it was becoming necessary for me to wear glasses for riding motorcycles, and I hated that.

I opted for the Symphony multi-focals for the promise of good distance vision and decent arms length vision. That is exactly what they delivered for me. I have great distance vision and I use office desktops comfortably with no glasses.

The only less-than-miraculous performance is up close vision like under 12 inches. I can use readers for that, so I'm still super-happy.

My after insurance out of pocket, including meds and visits was about 13 thousand dollars, but I made the choice to go with it.

My doctor said I had a model result and that I should have this good of vision for the rest of my life.

Hope this helps.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted.
I haven't had the time to read the other replies, but I'm also 56 and I just had this done a couple of months ago, with those same lenses.

My experience has been excellent. Previous to having mild cataracts, I had to use readers for anything closer than arm's length and prescription glasses for any decent distance vision. I didn't want to wear glasses with sports and motorcycling, but it was becoming necessary for me to wear glasses for riding motorcycles, and I hated that.

I opted for the Symphony multi-focals for the promise of good distance vision and decent arms length vision. That is exactly what they delivered for me. I have great distance vision and I use office desktops comfortably with no glasses.

The only less-than-miraculous performance is up close vision like under 12 inches. I can use readers for that, so I'm still super-happy.

My after insurance out of pocket, including meds and visits was about 13 thousand dollars, but I made the choice to go with it.

My doctor said I had a model result and that I should have this good of vision for the rest of my life.

Hope this helps.
Liquid,
Any feedback you can offer on nighttime performance with the Symphony multifocal lenses ? Glare, Halo's, starbursts etc? Is it manageable?

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #24  
I wore glasses most of my life, starting as a little kid. By the time I had my cataract surgery in July 2021 my glasses measured a full 9/16" thick! I'd gotten to the point that even with glasses driving at night was difficult, at first because of flare and then I began having problems with double vision.

Cataract surgery fixed all the problems. A year later I'm still astonished at how sharp my vision is. I swear I can count the ticks on a mule deer's butt at 5 miles! It is such a blessing to be able to get up in the morning and walk around without having to first fumble around for my glasses. No more glasses fogging up when working on one of my vehicles!

Procedure itself was quick and simple - about 20 minutes for each eye. No pain at all. Can't drive afterwards so you have to have someone drive you home. Right eye done first, then the left eye a month later. Drops in the eye for a couple weeks after the surgery. Because of my previous problems with flare while driving at night I opted to go for the distance vision lens; the ophthalmologist said I'd still have flare problems if I opted for the multifocal lenses. Medicare will pay for only generic, non-prescription lenses so I had to pay out of pocket to have the prescription distance vision lenses.

Still totally worth it to me. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Hard for me to believe that at this advanced age my vision is better than it has ever been.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #25  
I'll be watching this thread too. I was just told last week that I'll need the surgery "sometime in the future - new glasses won't help".
When my doctor told me I needed surgery I asked for stronger glasses and got them so I could put off the surgery for a little bit. The new glasses didn't fix the problem but they do help some.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #26  
Following this thread too, as my last checkup @ 67 slight cataracts noted would likely need attention in 2-3 years and would have 20/20 vision except for readers.

Been wearing glasses for 60 years, and reading these posts has me thinking to get it done sooner than later.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #27  
Liquid,
Any feedback you can offer on nighttime performance with the Symphony multifocal lenses ? Glare, Halo's, starbursts etc? Is it manageable?

I was told there is an older technology of less-expensive multi-focals that used a radial focus method and one of the drawbacks were some flares and halos. i was told this was minimized with the Symphony lenses.

I've found the night vision is perfectly clear, and the only artifacts I can notice is that sharp, bright LED traffic lights at a distance have a little tiny 'buzz' around them when they're far off. I don't find it distracting at all and it took me a couple of weeks (often driving at night) to notice it. Other night vision is perfect. The stars at night are a joy through my natural eyeballs.

And I've never had vision this clear before, so those blinding bright aftermarket lights on Jeeps are worse than they were... if you flash them they hit with something worse. LOL (Maybe I'll search for a tow-boat location light as a defense measure.)

Bottom line is... I think they're as good as it gets and that's why they're pricey. I'm happy with 'em. (not affiliated with them in any way)

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #28  
you’re getting a lot of good information here, and I’ll just add mine.
I chose to improve long distance view, with dollar store readers stashed all over the barn and workshop.
It’s been a good choice for me, and I love not having to wear eyeglasses all day. Halo effects are there, but nothing too bad.

my wife chose to have one eye corrected to read better, and the other for long distance. Unfortunately, that didn’t work out well, and she ended up back in glasses more than she would like.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #29  
Subscribed. I'm waiting to do this. Vision is getting worse and catarac surgery is recommended for me.
My friend got it first. He paid extra for multifocus lens. First eye went good and vision is perfect. Second eye not so good. 3rd surgery on the second eye tomorrow for my friend. He has been about 1 year getting all these surgeries to straightened out the one eye. He said he blames his trouble on the injectable antibiotic vs the eyedrops. His advice, do not take the injectable antibiotic.
Was he allergic to the antibiotic?

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #30  
Well, I've got a long story about glasses. I started wearing them when I was about 10. My mother insisted, and we could only afford what I came to call in the Army "birth control glasses". I could usually see as well or better without the glasses, but was told by my mother (God love her) I needed them because they fixed some problem.
About when I got my first drivers learners permit (age 14) the optometrist told me the truth, I didn't need glasses at all. He only prescribed them for me because my mother INSISTED. Apparently the problem they had fixed was to help keep girls away.
So from about 14 to 50 or 55 I didn't wear glasses :)
Then I started to need readers.
This went on until about age 70. Then my right eye started to get a cataract. It progressed slowly for a few months then sped up and soon I was almost blind in my right eye. Couldn't see to drive with just my right eye.
Got the surgery, nothing fancy, vision in my right eye is now sharper than my left eye.
Go for it.