Why buy a pickup when you can get...

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get... #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
One of these?http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/F-3..._12164201_ON20080225113043735/?ms=trucks_vans

I have a regular car and a minivan and my old truck is getting tired. I've started looking around and want something that can actually work and haul.

In my search I stumbled across these. Only 2wd but for a true utility vehicle why would I spend more?

Any of you have an experiences with these or comments / advice / warnings?

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get... #2  
Is that an ex Home Despot rental?

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get... #4  
It's a cab and chassis, single wheel F-350 with an aluminum drop side flatbed on it. Looks just like the Home Depot rental trucks. Not a bad idea, if it fits your application. Basically a pickup truck that you can load with a forklift. I imagine you would have a hard time strapping anything down that was shorter than the sides, because the straps would have to run over the side, unless it has tie down points on the inside.

Personally, I would take a regular flatbed and build some side boards that slide down in the stake pockets. That way you can remove them if you need to haul something short, but heavy enough to be strapped down like a bush hog or similar type of tractor attachment, or small riding mower, etc.

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get... #5  
It's a cab and chassis, single wheel F-350 with an aluminum drop side flatbed on it. Looks just like the Home Depot rental trucks. Not a bad idea, if it fits your application. Basically a pickup truck that you can load with a forklift. I imagine you would have a hard time strapping anything down that was shorter than the sides, because the straps would have to run over the side, unless it has tie down points on the inside.

Personally, I would take a regular flatbed and build some side boards that slide down in the stake pockets. That way you can remove them if you need to haul something short, but heavy enough to be strapped down like a bush hog or similar type of tractor attachment, or small riding mower, etc.

Or you can go whole hog and step up to a medium duty stakebed, like my 2004 Isuzu NPR/EFI with 8'x14' stakebed (by Superior), 6.0L LQ4 GMC 8-cyl gas engine, 4L80 4-speed automatic, 4.777 to 1 rear axle, 12,000 lb GVWR, 18,000 lb GCWR. Got this one last Dec for $11,000 off eBay with 49,500 miles showing. Use it for normal pickup truck stuff and to carry my small parade tractors on the bed (~3500 lb max load). BTW: it's actually about the same overall length as my 2001 F150 short cab/long bed PU. Hits 75 mph (empty) no problem on the freeway, gets about 12 mpg (empty).

DSCF0006 (Small).JPGDSCF0007 (Small).JPGDSCF0048 (Small).JPGIMG_0394 (Small).JPG

Tilt cab trucks are an acquired taste, not for everyone's likes. But I think the NPR is a classic example of that species of truck.

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get... #6  
Love the "Ute" bed. Im surprised we dont see more of them here. i have fold down sides on my trailer, VERY handy.

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get... #7  
Code:

Don't the sides have hinges where they can be dropped down and you have a true flat bed, then raise them back up or leave them down?

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get... #9  
The company I work for purchased about a dozen of those a couple of years ago. We put lift gates on them, and removed the simple channel iron rear bumper and made up heavier ones out of rectangular tubing and put receiver tubes in them. They're used daily for deliveries and such, and occasionally we grab one to use as a service truck if our normal shops trucks are all out on the road.

They're decent enough vehicles, but very basic. Not sure if I would want one myself, unless I could justify the cost for a dedicated "work" vehicle. The interiors are spartan, (basic radio, vinyl seat, manual windows, etc.), the ride is fairly choppy, etc. but they're well-suited for the type of duty they see with our company.

Not sure what we paid for them, but the owner buys nothing unless it's priced "right". We may have gotten more advantageous price by buying in "bulk"....I don't know.

They've been good trucks....no issues to report. I'd take one down the freeway and across a few sets of railroad tracks though and see what you think then.

;)

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get...
Thanks for the info on the stake bed Flusher. The price was good too.

My thought is why pay MUCH more for a pickup that can in reality do less work. They also look like they may have a pull out ramp at the rear.

Very interesting. I wonder if I could buy one straight from Home Depot.