Why buy a pickup when you can get...

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get... #31  
A lot of people buy trucks based on what they want, not what they need. That is a nice basic work truck. I have a 77 F350 rackbody, 2wd, no dump. It has been and continues to be an excellent farm truck, no frills. I did put dual wheels on it mostly to help with soft hay fields, didn't make much difference. We have a commercial farm policy so insurance is a moot point. I will replace it with a similar truck when the repair bills outweigh the payments (probablly a long time, I can put a replacement engine in for less than 1 payment on a 4x4 diesel superduty, maybe the tranny to)
I agree whole heartedly. Buy what you like and/or need if it makes you happy and you can pay the price of admission.

The reality is a diesel, any diesel is going to cost more to maintain, the newer ones probably more so. Just tonight, I noticed on my way home from work the best price on gas was 3.259 while diesel was 3.799.

I like the feel of a diesel as much as the next person and certainly have some miles under my belt big and small. But, the reality is that a cheapo beater truck and an eco box for gas mileage is the smartest choice for me.

And definately a flatbed over a stock box.

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get... #32  
I agree whole heartedly. Buy what you like and/or need if it makes you happy and you can pay the price of admission.

The reality is a diesel, any diesel is going to cost more to maintain, the newer ones probably more so. Just tonight, I noticed on my way home from work the best price on gas was 3.259 while diesel was 3.799.

I like the feel of a diesel as much as the next person and certainly have some miles under my belt big and small. But, the reality is that a cheapo beater truck and an eco box for gas mileage is the smartest choice for me.

And definately a flatbed over a stock box.

I have tried to justify buying a more fuel efficient vehicle for a daily driver quite a while and for me it just doesn't make sense. The cost of a decent vehicle that is fuel efficient and still useful and safe in WNY weather means I would be looking at an improvement of 7-12mpg. Factor in the purchase price, insurance, registration and maintenance and it makes more sense to just keep paying the price of diesel and only have that as the main vehicle.

I use to have two vehicles but neither one got used enough to justify them. I am sure if money wasn't as much an issue I would have a second vehicle just so I didn't have to take the work truck as a daily driver for myself and my daughter. Thats about the only disadvantage now, I have to constantly unload the truck depending on who I am hauling and where were going.

Ideally, the diesel engines will improve the fuel economy back to where they use to be and it would be a moot point but hopefully when its time to replace my current truck the mileage will be much improved.

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get... #33  
Just loading almost anything into a "regular, factory type bed" pick up truck can be a pain if it is much over 4 ft wide, that is about all the space you get between wheel wells.
It can be hard to get two people in there to muscle in the leading end.

A flat bed is MUCH higher, which helps with loading/unloading at standard loading docks.
Because you have more room to stand on it and move around loading things like couches is SO MUCH EASIER than into the back of a std pick up, you can load from the side - and escape from the other side or back.

Against this you just get too many "friends" who need stuff moved (-:

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get... #35  
Man that would be great for my F350 with rusty bed. Lol on the "2000 lb limit". SRW F350 is quite happy to 3500+ lbs.

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get...
I'd love to get one but money is not in the right capacity at the moment....:(

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get... #37  
I just bought one of the ex Home Depot rental trucks and am very happy with the purchase. The company I bought it from added a Scott dump kit to the Scott aluminum body.

I loaded her up with sand and filled some bull holes out at our ranch. It is probably good for a 3500 lb load.

Works very well but need to figure out how to remove the Home Depot overload sensor. I was just barley down to the overload springs when it sounded an annoying buzzer.

IMG_1034.jpg

The wife likes it.

IMG_1032.jpg

It's a 2006 5.4L V8 and five speed automatic with 49k miles in very good condition.

Last edited:
   / Why buy a pickup when you can get... #39  
Very nice! I would love to get a small dump truck sometime. I can think of many uses for something like this.

Joe

/ Why buy a pickup when you can get... #40  
Nice. What does it have under the hood? I would guess the 5.4L but the V10 may be lurking in that thang.

Chris