Why Can't We Use Trailers Like This?

/ Why Can't We Use Trailers Like This? #1  

bigdeano

Platinum Member
Tractor
MM UTS and Homemade
I've always wondered why we can't pull trailers like the second one in the picture with our cars and pickups. They seem to work fine behind big rigs. Anybody know why?

truck.jpg

/ Why Can't We Use Trailers Like This? #2  
Might be OK if you had the power to pull them. But I imagine would be a bear to back up. In my state, you have to have a doubles endorsement on your CDL to pull these.
I've seen Canadian pickups pulling a camper and then a boat behind the camper. Totally illegal in NY, I don't know if or how they make it through without a ticket.

/ Why Can't We Use Trailers Like This? #3  
I don't think LEGO tires are rated for highway speed ;)

/ Why Can't We Use Trailers Like This? #4  
Why would that style trailer be any legally different than this?

4f01a17c85f04c28c73bf69c7e5e6be1--th-wheel-rv-fifth-wheel.jpg

Bruce

/ Why Can't We Use Trailers Like This? #5  
I don't think LEGO tires are rated for highway speed ;)

Here is some that may have the proper rating.
[video]http://c8.alamy.com/comp/C92X41/road-train-port-of-broome-kimberley-region-western-australia-australia-C92X41.jpg[/video]

/ Why Can't We Use Trailers Like This? #6  
I've always wondered why we can't pull trailers like the second one in the picture with our cars and pickups. They seem to work fine behind big rigs. Anybody know why?

View attachment 518080

You can if you want to, at least here you can, but when you see how much a "hi-way rated" trailer like that cost, you won't want to!!

SR

/ Why Can't We Use Trailers Like This?
I meant just one trailer, not a double setup. Sorry I didn't explain very well. Obviously the trailer would have to be sized for the towing vehicle and not made of legos. :) I've never seen one being pulled by a car or pickup, I just wonder if it's illegal or something. Seems like you wouldn't have to worry so much about weight distribution and such.

/ Why Can't We Use Trailers Like This? #9  
Just like pulling a farm wagon, most people could not back it up.

/ Why Can't We Use Trailers Like This? #10  
I think what the OP is asking is,
"Why can't we pull trailers that have two axles - one fixed and one turning - and no/insignificant tongue weight?​

One response above alluded to the likely fact that they're really tough to back up (I've never tried, but I can imagine that since the coupling between tractor and trailer is flexible and is attached to a turning axle, it's downright difficult). I'm sure there are other reasons, but I can't quantity them and will leave it to others to answer this better.