Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator?

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #11  
there are many variations of field cultivators as there are sweep designs. what the op has will accept a standard sweep . The biggest issue the op will have is finding ones that have the right angle so the are flat and scoot under the surface he is cultivating . If he were not so far away I would give him what he needs as I have hundreds of them

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator?
I wonder what the difference is between running the spikes deep or running sweeps shallow. I'm assuming the sweeps are only used on cultivated land whereas the spikes could also be used on pasture land.

This was kind of my thought, when I use the points they rip deep even in unworked soil, even to the point of being able to stop the tractor in its tracks with no apparent damage to the cultivator, so how could sweeps being drug just below the surface in pre worked soil be more of a drag then when I rip deep. Like most everyone on this forum has mentioned before the type of soil your working is a big factor, my soil is so soft I can push a shovel blade deep just using my arms. But as others have mentioned sweeps have a lot more surface area than points that might be more drag then I can imagine it being.

With my limited experience and never using sweeps I will just experiment To see what works, all the info you guys have provided really helps in pointing me in the right direction and a good starting point as to the type of sweep to use.

Here is a video I blundered across which demonstrates row crop sweeps on an angle iron cultivator:

Vegetable Garden -- Weed Control using Cultivators - YouTube

I would research replacement cost of C-tines before experimenting with sweeps against Behlen's admonition.

Thanks for the video, nice to see it in action with the same cultivator that I have. To bad the man does not mention what degree sweeps he's using. I will call Nichols and ask them about the sweeps you mentioned and where I can purchase them. I notice on eBay and Amazon most listings don't mention the degree.

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #14  
Thanks for the video, nice to see it in action with the same cultivator that I have. To bad the man does not mention what degree sweeps he's using. I will call Nichols and ask them about the sweeps you mentioned and where I can purchase them. I notice on eBay and Amazon most listings don't mention the degree.

on most field cultivators the shaft holds the sweep and the porkchop on the arm is where you get your angle deg. FWIW if you have an old rowcrop farmer near you stop and ask him if he has a few old sweeps. Like I said I have piles of good usable sweeps that still have some life left and have literally hauled off tons that were worn out and or broken from row cropping here on my place.

on most field cultivators the shaft holds the sweep and the porkchop on the arm is where you get your angle deg. FWIW if you have an old rowcrop farmer near you stop and ask him if he has a few old sweeps. Like I said I have piles of good usable sweeps that still have some life left and have literally hauled off tons that were worn out and or broken from row cropping here on my place.

I do not understand the terms (porkchop) or (FWIW)

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #16  
FWIW (For What It's Worth)...If it was me...I'd look into adding a standard "tool bar" (2"x2" or 1.5"x1.5" x 1/4" square tubing)...it would make for a longer attachment but you could add sweeps (or hilling discs etc) anywhere...

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #17  
porkchop.jpg

Sorry, I sometime forget that every region has different terminology for parts. The "porkchop" attaches to arm and a shaft with the sweep slides into it.

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #18  
there are many variations of field cultivators as there are sweep designs. what the op has will accept a standard sweep . The biggest issue the op will have is finding ones that have the right angle so the are flat and scoot under the surface he is cultivating . If he were not so far away I would give him what he needs as I have hundreds of them

Answere's all the questions.

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #19  
I once bent the angle iron on a similar looking cultivator. As I remember I was trying to use the cultivator to plow a fire break in dry ground growing common Bremuda grass. The cultivator didn't have sweeps just points. I suspect the frame would have bent sooner if pulling sweeps.
We had to call in a dozer to put out the 🔥.

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #20  
Consider the width difference and realize how much wider they are compared to the points realize how much more load you are placing on a unit not made for that amount of load. If you are using sweeps on such a frame the dirt better be loose and speed slow and plows shallow. You need to see if you can find an old single row cultivator.