Why did I buy this thing?

/ Why did I buy this thing? #21  
I also have a max and can't say I'd ever thought about checking the oil being that hard. Yes you have to raise the hood and remove the side panel. On the dipstick it is down there a ways but a small flashlight in one hand and getting it in and out with the other has never seemed that tough. I change my oil every 100 hours and check it 2 or 3 times in between and have never had to add oil.

I have long legs and I'm constantly hitting the turn signal and headlights switches too but I consider that the price of using a little tractor instead of a bigger one.

After almost 10 years and 800 hours with the tractor I think the only problems it's had were the result of me being dumb a few times. The power that little thing has in both the front loader and the 3 point never fails to amaze me.

/ Why did I buy this thing? #22  
Mahindra 1626 HST.

Yeah, it was cheaper than a Kubota, but really, I have never seen a piece of machinery so badly engineered. The manual tells me to check the engine oil every day. What a laugh! I have to raise the hood, remove the starboard side panel, raise the bucket to the ceiling, thread a trouble light past the loader arm and hydraulic cylinder, and SEARCH for the dipstick. Taking it out is hard enough, but find the hole with my left hand and guiding the dipstick into the hole with my right hand, all the while being careful not to dislodge the trouble light, is one of the most aggravating tasks of my life. Then of course I have to put it back together again. It takes me, all in all, about half an hour. Ridiculous.

And that's hardly the only bit of bad design. I rarely get down from the cockpit without accidentally activating the left turn signal. Nothing is placed logically to my mind. From 1975 to 2019 I enjoyed a Japanese Bison tractor with International Harvester sheet metal (IH 284). How I miss it! How I wish there had been a shop closer than 50 miles so I could have kept it operating. (It went into the shop only once in forty-four years. Mahindra Baba has been there twice already.)
Everything is going to be different on different machines. That being said, I totally agree with you about checking the oil. Mine is a 3016 shuttle shift with a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi diesel, probably similar or same engine as yours. I do not check my oil level every time I start the tractor as pointed out by others. Overall I have been happy with my machine, but given the times, you can probably sell yours for what you paid, or maybe more, and buy what you like. As to being a Mahindra lover, can't really say that as this is the first new tractor I have owned. I did look at JD and Big Orange before going with Mahindra. Most bang for my buck since I do not use my machine day in and day out. Still looking for a good modification for the oil dipstick. My dealer actually pointed this defect put before I bought.

/ Why did I buy this thing? #23  
That oil filter is going to be fun to change as well!

Hey Kubota isn't all great....my X1100C HST filter is a PITA to get to (remove skid plates). Also the oil filter has a plate I have to remove..
Engineering has much to be desired these days for sure , I have to take off a skid plate on my Honda CRV to get the oil filter off and that is more than a pita with the many cheap adapters they use , I can see this as about impossible after a couple of years just to get the plate off with all the salt and crud on the road during the winter .
I was hoping my friend would buy a Kubota but he went cheaper in price for the Mahindra . It went back to the dealer at least 4 times I know of , maybe more . He did have a good dealer so it made it a little more bearable .

/ Why did I buy this thing? #25  
I'm watching this thread with some amusement. On my JD (Yanmar engine), you can check the oil, change the oil filter, and add oil without raising the hood (or removing the loader, although that's only a few minutes). The only reason I raise the hood is to clean the radiator screen or change the air filter. It's not that hard to design a tractor correctly (although JD missed on the driveshaft lubrication.)

/ Why did I buy this thing? #26  
I'm watching this thread with some amusement. On my JD (Yanmar engine), you can check the oil, change the oil filter, and add oil without raising the hood (or removing the loader, although that's only a few minutes). The only reason I raise the hood is to clean the radiator screen or change the air filter. It's not that hard to design a tractor correctly (although JD missed on the driveshaft lubrication.)
Is that a good thing? i rather have that stuff protected from the elements and tree's...

/ Why did I buy this thing? #27  
All tractors have problems. ALL OF THEM. I've got a kubota. Not thrilled about it. Lotsa stupid issues. LOTS. But when it works, it works and for that much I can say, I'm glad I can utilize the machine for its intended purpose. Even if the hdyro whines and screams at me every time I sit in it. It still saves me money by not having to hire guys to do my work, and from breaking my back. So we deal with it.

/ Why did I buy this thing? #28  
Is that a good thing? i rather have that stuff protected from the elements and tree's...
Hasn't been a problem over the last 10 years. I've never worried much about oil filters, dipsticks, and oil filler caps getting hit by trees or rusting out. :D

/ Why did I buy this thing? #29  
<snip>
I wouldn't be surprised if a Kubota was likewise difficult to work on. Mahindra Baba after all has a Yamaha engine. Making tractors PRETTY was a very bad mistake.
<snip>
Neither of my Kubotas are difficult to check the oil. But then except for fluids (oil, grease) and tires about the only things I've had to do in 13 years of ownership is replace some hoses and one cylinder on my 95 M4700.

/ Why did I buy this thing? #30  
Neither of my Kubotas are difficult to check the oil. But then except for fluids (oil, grease) and tires about the only things I've had to do in 13 years of ownership is replace some hoses and one cylinder on my 95 M4700.
My tractor is a 2006 Kubota L3130, with an LA513 loader and came with a box blade. I've also purchased a bush hog, finish mower, landscape rake, pine straw rake, and a Woodland Mills stump grinder. One of the things I noticed while looking to purchase my tractor was how accessible everything on this model was. Any of the engine is easily accessible by raising the hood or removing a side panel, (done in like 2 seconds,) and the entire engine is ready to be worked on. Even all the grillwork pops off for easy radiator etc repair/ maintenance. Goes back together equally easy and quickly. the only repairs needed since I bought it in late 2009 was regular maintenance and 2 repairs. I have replaced the hydraulic hoses as one of them for the loader blew out the side one day while lifting. The oil blew right past my face and sunglasses saved my eyes from a high-pressure oil bath. The hoses didn't 'look' bad at all but given their age, I decided to replace them all so that wouldn't happen again any time soon. The whole job was done for under $400 so that wasn't too bad. The only other repairs have been 2 hydraulic cylinder rebuilds on the loader. (2 down, 2 to go.) The seal kits run about $98 per set and I can do it at home. All of these maint/ repair items were extremely accessible and I always think to myself or mention to others how well thought out I find this tractor to be. It's been a workhorse all these years and I am looking forward to many more happy years.