Why did my tractor start?

/ Why did my tractor start? #1  

frogpond

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I don't understand... I have a Kubota BX25D, about 1500 hours. Today I worked it for several hours, using the loader and the backhoe to extract a stump and move dirt, roots, etc. Temp in the low 40s, no rain.

I started (normal, no hesitation) and stopped it several times while using saws, eating lunch. After half-hour lunch break, I drove it back to the work site and turned it off. A few minutes later it refused to start. It clicked, you could hear the fuel pump working, but it wouldn't crank. The lights worked, and I held it for the glow plug, but still nothing. Tried the key while manually pushing the switch under the seat, made sure the transmission was in neutral, made sure the pto lever was off, checked the rocker pedal to confirm neutral...still nothing. Checked the battery: 12.71 volts.

Finally I got my amateur mechanic neighbor to look at it. He poked around, and finally jiggled the loader joystick, and then it started! He had no idea why. I drove it back to the shed, turned it off. Started fine again. While running, the battery was showing 14.2 volts at idle, so it's charging fine.

The only other possibility is something to do with the 3rd function setup, a kit from Summit, which I added last summer to run an Add a Grapple, which I attached to the loader bucket. It's controlled by 2 buttons on a
replacement handle on the loader joystick. The wire runs down the joystick shaft to the solenoid. Could the problem be related to that?

I'm happy that the tractor is behaving again, but it would be nice to know why. All opinions are welcome.

/ Why did my tractor start? #2  
I’m not sure but I learned a new technique. Generally, I start with the hammer and start hitting things. I will now start with the jiggle then move to the hammer…;)

/ Why did my tractor start? #3  
I don't understand... I have a Kubota BX25D, about 1500 hours. Today I worked it for several hours, using the loader and the backhoe to extract a stump and move dirt, roots, etc. Temp in the low 40s, no rain.

I started (normal, no hesitation) and stopped it several times while using saws, eating lunch. After half-hour lunch break, I drove it back to the work site and turned it off. A few minutes later it refused to start. It clicked, you could hear the fuel pump working, but it wouldn't crank. The lights worked, and I held it for the glow plug, but still nothing. Tried the key while manually pushing the switch under the seat, made sure the transmission was in neutral, made sure the pto lever was off, checked the rocker pedal to confirm neutral...still nothing. Checked the battery: 12.71 volts.

Finally I got my amateur mechanic neighbor to look at it. He poked around, and finally jiggled the loader joystick, and then it started! He had no idea why. I drove it back to the shed, turned it off. Started fine again. While running, the battery was showing 14.2 volts at idle, so it's charging fine.

The only other possibility is something to do with the 3rd function setup, a kit from Summit, which I added last summer to run an Add a Grapple, which I attached to the loader bucket. It's controlled by 2 buttons on a
replacement handle on the loader joystick. The wire runs down the joystick shaft to the solenoid. Could the problem be related to that?

I'm happy that the tractor is behaving again, but it would be nice to know why. All opinions are welcome.
I'd look for a loose wire to the starter solenoid near the joystick cables.

/ Why did my tractor start? #4  
If battery is good and it clicks and doesn't crank and the fuel pump runs that means it wants to crank but can't. Look for a loose connection between battery posts, solenoid, starter, and battery ground. Or could be a bad solenoid or bad spot in starter. It will most likely come back again.

gg

/ Why did my tractor start? #5  
I would start with the PTO engagement lever switch. Mine got a little out of adjustment. Sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. The quick "fix" was to let the lever snap back to the off position. The permanent fix was to readjust it.

Doug in SW IA

/ Why did my tractor start? #6  
If you suspect poor battery cable connections, one last-ditch test is to just hold the key in the start position for a while-10-20 seconds. Then go around and feel the battery posts, starter solenoid connections, the short jumper strap that carries power from the outbound solenoid terminal to the big stud that takes power into the starter motor, everywhere the big cables carry power.
Many times, a bad connection will be warm, hot, or smoking.
Occasionally, the poor connection will arc enough to jump the rust or corrosion and deliver enough amps to actually start the engine, maybe several times, then it will fail again.

/ Why did my tractor start?
Thanks to all! These sound like logical ways to proceed. I won't be able to follow them up until next weekend, but then I'll be sure to report back.

/ Why did my tractor start? #8  
I’d be more inclined to go with a loose connection on battery cables somewhere but potentially the 3rd function had gotten engaged and the starter wasn’t strong enough to turn it with the pump deadheaded.

/ Why did my tractor start? #9  
Does this machine have a FOB for remote start? If so, check the controller and relay.

/ Why did my tractor start?
No remote start capability. I didn't even know that exists for tractors.