Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor?

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #51  
Sucking that stuff for hours isn’t healthy.
No it's not. Municipal fire departments across the country are spending a lot of money installing exhaust removal systems for that reason.

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #52  
No it's not. Municipal fire departments across the country are spending a lot of money installing exhaust removal systems for that reason.
Not exhaust removal, it's particulate reduction and oxides of Nitrogen conversion via a catalyist and urea injection.

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #53  
Not exhaust removal, it's particulate reduction and oxides of Nitrogen conversion via a catalyist and urea injection.
As I said, municipal fire departments are installing exhaust removal systems. They're in place in fire stations across the country, regardless of this new Tier 4 technology installed on the vehicles. In many instances the systems consist of hoses connected to each truck to suck everything out of the building.

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #54  

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #55  
I need to get one of those for my workplace. How many to cover 18-19 acres?

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #56  
would never consider a current Tier IV machine for the same reason i would never consider a new pickup today loaded w/sensors, computers, emissions equip that would require a 2nd mortgage to initially purchase & a savings depletion fixing the emissions & sensors equip gone south
i want a tractor to be simple as possible with all the benefits of modern pre Tier IV such as hyd shuttle, heavy duty 12 sp trans, & rock solid Kubota engine reliability etc... the MXX40 models & some prior fit those needs perfectly.

Agree with you on some points, but theres a difference between tractors and trucks.
The newer trucks, although hampered by the expense and lowered reliability of diesel emissions and electronics, offer more towing capacity, power and features/comforts to somewhat "offset" the drawbacks.
Tractors have improved, maybe a little bit since emissions, but not to the degree of trucks.

That being said, I have 6 pre Tier4 tractors and no plans for a new one anytime soon. Reliability is a must for me. The emissions systems add a considerable layer of complexity and greater chances of lower reliability

Last edited:
   / Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #57  

I’ve never heard of a fire department adding that garbage on their vehicles. More likely they cut it off. Most of the ambulances in my county have been deleted.

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #58  
I'll keep my pre emissions tractors. when they die, I'll have the engines rebuilt. They aren't hard to find. A friend up the road just bought a used 2013 kubota MX5100 with 200 hours for 25K

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #59  
First of all, I want to say how much I appreciate everyone giving their advice to my many questions as I keep looking for an ideal tractor to buy. If I'm overstaying my welcome in this forum, someone just let me know and I'll shut up 😉.

What is the deal with Tier4 emissions that everyone's trying to buy pre-emissions machines? I asked the Kubota salesman about it and he said the issues were with DEF systems, that the fluid is really prone to spoilage, is expensive, and generally it's a PITA. According to him, the DPF on Kubotas are trouble-free so long as you let it Regen when it asks you to.

I've heard of general horror stories but no specifics.

TIA
Because you want an older model to learn how to repair it

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #60  
You are more than welcome to suck exhaust fumes just like grandpa did. I prefer working in cleaner air and no sinus congestion. The tier 4 tractors are a joy to operate.
My grandpa was happy to get a smelly tractor, he was tired of cleaning up horse crap.