Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ?

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #41  
I enjoy reading newagtalk.com. It's surprising that most of the guys over there have off-farm jobs.

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #42  
This site is geared toward homeowners with small property and small tractors, many which live in the garage and are not even broke in. Obviously there are exceptions but that's what I see for the most part. some of the threads make it obvious that many have never been off city water, or dealt with coyotes, or septic systems. There was one last week where someone said they lived in a "Rural" area with 1 acre lots in the neighborhood.

I've seen Realtors here in the past advertising those as "Mini-ranches"! :laughing:

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #43  
Here's another pic my friend sent me couple years ago. On the other end of the growing season. :)

View attachment 494185

Just got a chance to read the rest of this thread. Wow, what fantastic pictures they are! :thumbsup:
Do you have any more, or some close-up pics from on the ground, that you can post?

That one and the previous pic of no fewer than SIX sizeable tractors ploughing shows without doubt what it takes to feed the population. City folk need to take a minute and think: It costs a lot less to buy the ingredients and actually cook your own dinner, rather than frequently buy fast food. Put another way - Buying less fast food makes groceries much more affordable. Your dinner is then much more enjoyable, and good for you too.
There is not much that says it any more convincingly, than those two photographs, what is needed in order to put food on either the store shelves or the fast food restaurant plate. They could have been taken in Canada, Australia or Russia as well - it doesn't matter where. Hats off and our greatest admiration to all these people, their families and staff.

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #44  
Those 6 tractors your talking about....they're not ploughing.....they are actually planting.
Ploughing is done in the fall after harvest....it was mentionned as a spring picture, planting season !
And thank you for the kind words...they don't come around often, so as a full time farmer I'll accept them when they do.

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #45  
Here's another pic my friend sent me couple years ago. On the other end of the growing season. :)

View attachment 494185

Just got a chance to read the rest of this thread. Wow, what fantastic pictures they are! :thumbsup:
Do you have any more, or some close-up pics from on the ground, that you can post?

That one and the previous pic of no fewer than SIX sizeable tractors ploughing shows without doubt what it takes to feed the population. City folk need to take a minute and think: It costs a lot less to buy the ingredients and actually cook your own dinner, rather than frequently buy fast food. Put another way - Buying less fast food makes groceries much more affordable. Your dinner is then much more enjoyable, and good for you too.
There is not much that says it any more convincingly, than those two photographs, what is needed in order to put food on either the store shelves or the fast food restaurant plate. They could have been taken in Canada, Australia or Russia as well - it doesn't matter where. Hats off and our greatest admiration to all these people, their families and staff.

As Man In Black said, thank you for your support of the Agricultural community wherever they happen to be from. Farmers are a special people. Very self motivated and dedicated to their profession. Every year they put all their assets on the line to "grow just one more good crop". They are the eternal Optimist.

I don't take many pictures of my friend's operation. I don't want to post a picture that might be used against him by thieves or whomever. The two I posted he took with his Drone and distributed them. You notice there is nothing discriminating in the pictures. No people or equipment or building sites, etc. I try to be considerate of that as well. Him and his wife bought an old Plantation property and restored the original large two story house. It is an amazing property. I don't take pictures of it for the same reasons. With all that said, if he sends me more, I'll post them.

Thanks again for supporting Farmers. :)

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #46  
My Brother In Law has five tractors and a combine. His smallest is a Kubota B series. He also has a drone with "follow me" mode. Believe this is a Case 130H.

15965606_1071299982998417_5617962247444833953_n.jpg

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #47  
My Brother In Law has five tractors and a combine. His smallest is a Kubota B series. He also has a drone with "follow me" mode. Believe this is a Case 130H.

Very cool picture. Very rare to see a furrow plow used here anymore. Was the Fall tillage tool of choice 30 years ago. Our soil erodes to badly. Only time you see one used is on river bottom Gumbo soil. And that's a tossup between the plow or a chisel. :)

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #48  
Hardly anyone turns soil here anymore.

Only 3 trips across the field: plant, spray, harvest.

Every so often, maybe every 3rd or 4th year, a subsoil and finishing tool. All about vertical tillage now. Don't see anyone turning soil

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #49  
Plowing is too much work now-a-days. Much easier to spray with Roundup and then plant GMO crops that are Roundup resistant. I drove through upstate NY and complete fields of grass were dead as far as you could see. I asked my brother in law what was up, and he said they spray with Roundup and then plan GMO corn that is Roundup resistant so they no longer have to plow. Lets them get the job done with smaller HP tractors. I grow my own corn so I can avoid the chemicals!

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #50  
Plowing is too much work now-a-days. Much easier to spray with Roundup and then plant GMO crops that are Roundup resistant. I drove through upstate NY and complete fields of grass were dead as far as you could see. I asked my brother in law what was up, and he said they spray with Roundup and then plan GMO corn that is Roundup resistant so they no longer have to plow. Lets them get the job done with smaller HP tractors. I grow my own corn so I can avoid the chemicals!

In my country there's more to it than that. Farmers are heavily regulated by the Government. Regulated on what crop they can plant. Regulated on tillage methods they have to use to be in compliance. Vertical (minimal) tillage meets those requirements.

For example, I have one field on which the last CRP contract has expired. My friends will rent it and plant soybeans this year. If that field is heavily tilled my farm becomes non-compliant. It's eligibility for all government farm programs can be suspended until the error is corrected. So it will definitely be vertical tilled. I'll burn it off late this Winter. Renter will spray it in late April and whenever they get to it they will no-till plant it. Then it will get sprayed at least one more time and probably two more times before the beans are harvested.

As to Roundup. It's about reached the end of it's life cycle. Many varieties of weeds and grasses have become Roundup resistant. New varieties of seed is now being produced which is tolerant to a new variety of chemical. Glyphosates are on the way out. That's the active ingredient used in Roundup and many other herbicides. Not sure which variety of seed and chemical my renter will use on my field. I know he's planning to plant several thousand acres using the "new stuff" this season. It's a constant battle between man and Mother Nature. :)

As to the HP change in tractors, they just hitch up larger wider implements. :)